Sandy Rocks

Bill Oram's Excellent Article in the Oregonian on the Decline of USC

Bill Oram wrote an excellent article in today's Oregonian about USC and their efforts to destroy the PAC-12. You'll have to check it out for yourself, I am not good at attaching files. Sorry. He is savoring yesterday's defeat of USC by Oregon as well as the other teams that beat them this year. I have loved the PAC-12 with all it's flaws. I loved its traditions and rivalries.

I mourn it's demise. I feel for the position of OSU and WSU.  All of this happened because USC thought they were better than the rest of the PAC. They have always thought they were better. Their leadership torpedoed every effort to improve the PAC and then stabbed it in the heart when they decided to leave taking a reluctant UCLA along with them. They savored their desertion and how it would effect the other teams but reality has a way of catching up with people who do such things.

They may lose even more games this year. They now have to continue to deal with Oregon and Washington, who will continue to steal their recruits. Who knows what will happen in the next few years but I also am savoring their defeat much as I have done for many years.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 3:26 PM, Sandy Rocks said:

Bill Oram wrote an excellent article in today's Oregonian about USC and their efforts to destroy the PAC-12. You'll have to check it out for yourself, I am not good at attaching files. Sorry. He is savoring yesterday's defeat of USC by Oregon as well as the other teams that beat them this year. I have loved the PAC-12 with all it's flaws. I loved its traditions and rivalries.

I mourn it's demise. I feel for the position of OSU and WSU.  All of this happened because USC thought they were better than the rest of the PAC. They have always thought they were better. Their leadership torpedoed every effort to improve the PAC and then stabbed it in the heart when they decided to leave taking a reluctant UCLA along with them. They savored their desertion and how it would effect the other teams but reality has a way of catching up with people who do such things.

I've had this sneaking suspicion in the back of my little brain that USC and UCLA both thought since their once dominate hold over the conference had slipped from their grasp that moving out and heading for the Big 10 would somehow help them "regain their prestige".  How, exactly, was lost on me to ever figure that one out.

I wonder if seeing Oregon & Washington suddenly come in to the Big was ever in their "plan"?  Did they fall prey themselves to false promises offered by the Big1 of did they ever really think O & UW would soon follow?

Whatever, it's a crying shame the Pac-12 dissolved.  I feel confident it would have survived the loss of both USC and UCLA and been able to pick two other good programs up if they had wanted to remain at 12.  AND, rival the new Big1 for talent, wins and championships.

The end of the article says it best

By effectively ending the Trojans season on Saturday — at least slamming the door shut on the things they claimed to be playing for — Oregon now gets to do something that Williams, Riley and the Trojans no longer will:

Fight on.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Thanks for attaching the article

• Thumbs Up 2

Thank you for the article. Imagine what could have been if Texas and Oklahoma were allowed into the PAC-12 when the conference had its chance. It's a shame the PAC-12 is dissolving but hopefully when everyone realizes that the grass is probably not greener on the other side, the conference can be resurrected again like the Phoenix rising out of the ashes.

Edited by OceaniaDuck
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Perfect article.

It would have been dramatic to watch the Ducks beat an unbeaten USC on Saturday. But, I have to agree that watching their team and their fan support implode this season has been quite satisfying. 

You can't spell schadenfreude without sc, priceless!

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 1

Just for giggles, I thought I would put this out there.  It is SI's preseason piece on the Trojans.

Interestingly, it takes about Williams and Riley.  Williams plays, Riley coaches.  Football is not 1 vs 11.  It's 11 vs 11...USC needs another 10.

https://www.si.com/college/usc/football/college-football-expert-forecasts-usc-among-top-five-preseason-rankings-before-fall-camp-rks97

I think six power leagues was perfect. I bet Miami is nostalgic about the Big East. With this upcoming twelve team playoff you could have the top four champions get a bye. The two lowest ranked power 6 champions would be assured a home playoff game.

Assuming a'lot here.

Top 4 would be Georgia, Michigan, Florida State, and Oregon.

First week playoff games would be 

Texas hosting as the Big 12 Champion.

Louisville hosting as the Big East Champion.

Ohio State hosting as the top ranked at large.

Washington hosting as the second highest at large.

Tulane plays at Texas

Penn State plays at Louisville

Oklahoma plays at Ohio State

Missouri plays at Washington

On 11/12/2023 at 8:22 PM, Haywarduck said:

You can't spell schadenfreude without sc, priceless!

schadenfreude.

Isn't that what fans of sports feel for the other teams?