The Kamikaze Kid

Why Oregon is a Great Job

Don't agree with his analysis that if the Pac-12 had stayed together he would have had to leave to become part of a BIG or SEC program. Winning the Pac-12 would have gotten him to the playoffs. Traveling all over the nation playing in the BIG is going to be tougher.

Oregon recruited extremely well, and compete at a high level in the Pac-12. Oregon will continue to recruit well, but how well they travel and win in the BIG is yet to be determined.

Thinking the move to the BIG is better, especially as compared to a continued PAC-12 just doesn't add up to me. We have the money, could get the recruits, didn't need to add the travel to get the playoffs as they expand. 

I don't like the Ducks traveling to Indiana, then Michigan, and then Wisconsin as the season drags on next year. I also don't like the Ducks traveling to Pennsylvania and then New Jersey on consecutive weeks the next year. It is what it is, but not the schedule I would compare favorably to a Pac-12 conference schedule.

The one thing I do like is closing the season out playing the dawgs in 2024 and 2025. I also want us to close out 2023 the same way, and a win!

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

Oregon is a great destination for a coach, look at the commitment that has been made to top notch facilities and the pursuit of excellence.

However, it seems so unreal to watch the PAC implode. Not too sure it will really register until the start of next year. Unfortunately, Otegon was forced to make a decision that most did not want to make.

Moving to the BIG is more $$$$, and better exposure to a national audience, which benefits recruiting. The downside is the travel and late season weather in some of these states for football.

All the other sports that Oregon competes in are a scheduling nightmare for a student/athlete.

Nothing like a 4 to 5 hour flight followed by a 1 or 2 hour bus ride in winter conditions to be in peak condition to play 40 minutes of basketball. 

Beware of those that make money their main focus when making decisions, such as, in this case blowing up the PAC 12 in the pursuit of making “the bottom line” appear more attractive…(that is you ucla)

Foggy, and blurred lenses are common for those that go down this path. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 11/15/2023 at 1:25 PM, Haywarduck said:

Don't agree with his analysis that if the Pac-12 had stayed together he would have had to leave to become part of a BIG or SEC program. Winning the Pac-12 would have gotten him to the playoffs. Traveling all over the nation playing in the BIG is going to be tougher.

Oregon recruited extremely well, and compete at a high level in the Pac-12. Oregon will continue to recruit well, but how well they travel and win in the BIG is yet to be determined.

Thinking the move to the BIG is better, especially as compared to a continued PAC-12 just doesn't add up to me. We have the money, could get the recruits, didn't need to add the travel to get the playoffs as they expand. 

I don't like the Ducks traveling to Indiana, then Michigan, and then Wisconsin as the season drags on next year. I also don't like the Ducks traveling to Pennsylvania and then New Jersey on consecutive weeks the next year. It is what it is, but not the schedule I would compare favorably to a Pac-12 conference schedule.

The one thing I do like is closing the season out playing the dawgs in 2024 and 2025. I also want us to close out 2023 the same way, and a win!

I have no problem with the football team traveling. Piece of cake. The players are young men. Think they would rather play Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State or ASU, Cal, and Stanford.

Ann Arbor for what will be a must-watch CFB game is 922 miles farther than Eugene to Tempe. That's less than 90 minutes in the air.

Dan and the training staff will have the Central and Eastern time zone travel figured out. 

And the players Oregon recruits all believe they will be in the NFL where this kind of travel is routine.

Even trips to Maryland and Rutgers will be shown, at worst, on the Big 10 Network. The BTN is closing in on 70M subscribers. 

The money to travel will ease a bit in 6 years when Oregon becomes a full B1G member. The conference has done a great job of making certain that after coast-to-coast travel, a team will have a home game or a bye week after going not three but two time zones away.

Being a member of the Power 2 even with being a junior partner for 6 years is far better than rolling the dice with Amazon. OREGON will be featured CFB TV and in sight of top-drawer recruits.

And next season the stud QBs who have lifted the Pac-12 this season for the most part will be out of eligibility.

Puddles is in the Power 2 money. Far better than what could have been a Pac-9 plus SDS, SMU, and a player to be named later. Far better than being in a conference with vapid leadership.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm prejudiced because I think Oregon is one of the very best if not THE best job in college football today.  When all things are taken into consideration, I just don't see any school offering anyone a better place to live & coach.  Oh, there are bigger and richer schools, but there aren't any more competitive AND offering the small-city environment and quality of life here in Oregon.  Not with Oregon's name brand recognition.

If you want to live in the deep South, go for it.  If you want to live in the big mid-western metropolises go for it.  If you want to live on the over-populated East coast, go for it.  And if you want to live in the cesspool that's become of LA, go for it.  San Antonio might be a nice choice but the UTSA Roadrunners aren't exactly knocking on the Heaven's door of College Football.  The University of Oregon is.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Drake, you nailed it when you said “All the other sports that Oregon competes in are a scheduling nightmare for a student/athlete.

Nothing like a 4 to 5 hour flight followed by a 1 or 2 hour bus ride in winter conditions to be in peak condition to play 40 minutes of basketball. “

In addition to that, add in the men’s and women’s teams in basketball, track and field, cross country, baseball, softball, lacrosse, golf, gymnastics, volleyball, swimming, etc.

The throw in the fact that some of those teams play multiple games in a week!

I think we will see the student athletes spending the majority of their time on the road, and the travel budget is going to go exponential with the price of fuel doing what it is doing.

It makes me wonder how long football can sustain it.

I agree with Hayward, changing to the BIG is going to be tough on all the sports, although less so on football. It's going to be a killer for basketball in particular. So much travel in the winter months. All the travel will impact how competitive the teams can be. I know football seems to be the only thing that matters, but I feel all the sports will lose. Hopefully, something can come along the future that will be better because I don't think this was the answer.

• Great post! 1

On 11/16/2023 at 10:05 PM, Sandy Rocks said:

Hopefully, something can come along the future that will be better because I don't think this was the answer.

I'm with you on this!  But once the B1G gets its hooks into the brand and glamour of Oregon I don't think they're gonna want to ever let go.  They may tire quickly of USC, UCLA and UW, but not imo Oregon. 

Oregon gives them something they didn't have before even though it looked like they had everything: prestige, tradition and championships.  Excitement, real excitement, the kind you get when you score TD's routinely in under 2 minutes. Uniforms to die for (yeah, Oregon largely pioneered that too).   Offenses that leave opponents and announcers breathless trying to keep up.

The Big was getting there, sort of, but there's a real pizazz that Oregon just oozes with that stolid and stodgy Ohio State & Michigan (much less Purdue and the like) couldn't quite generate.  Oregon gives the B1G Glamour.  

Don't look for them to let that one go until or unless they get their own.  Championships they have but in a lot of respects, they're boring.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1