HDuck

OSU/WSU Enter Schedule Partnership With Mt. West

WWW.MSN.COM

• Wow 1

Here is the AP version.

WWW.MSN.COM

The pac2 is toast. They will probably never compete at the top levels of college football again. They will be held afloat for a couple years then sink under their own weight. As the revenue dries up so will they. 

This might seal Smith's decision to look elsewhere.

I am so bad.  I saw the title and was both entertained, and sad.  It is really happening, no matter what assets the grab from the PAC-12 this year.

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/16/2023 at 9:18 AM, Log Haulin said:

The pac2 is toast. They will probably never compete at the top levels of college football again. They will be held afloat for a couple years then sink under their own weight. As the revenue dries up so will they. 

By pac2 I infer you mean OSU & WSU.  Care to take a gentleman's bet on this?  

On 11/16/2023 at 10:37 AM, Mic said:

By pac2 I infer you mean OSU & WSU.  Care to take a gentleman's bet on this?  

For sure, what do you got?

Not yet officially approved by the MW. The Sun Belt already turned down OSU and WSU's offer of an alliance. I'm not sure why the MW would approve this knowing down the road that the Pac-2 would likely try and poach MW teams.

If this alliance is approved, OSU and WSU could not compete for the MW title which would leave OR ST, in today's 2024 playoff if it was a member of the MW, out in the dam playoff cold. 

And the state court ruling is not over and done with. The decision is on appeal and if sustained by the Washington Supreme Court will be challenged in other venues including federal court.

OSU and WSU now owe a fiduciary duty to the Pac-10. Hold a board meeting and decide to split conference revenues down the middle. Good luck with that. 

One other curve ball that could be thrown by the Pac-2. Wazzu president Shultz represents the Pac-12 on the playoff committee board. Members of the committee have recommended that with the demise of the Pac-12 for all intents and purposes, the playoff go from a 6-6 model to a 5 champion 7 at large model in 2024/25. The vote to change has to be unanimous. Shultz on his own could crater the recommendation. Shultz has said that he is 'willing to negotiate.'

Shultz holds this up and WSU and OSU will suffer the consequences come 2026. As alliance-only members of the MW, neither OSU nor WSU will be in contention for a playoff spot.

I hope UW and OREGON blow up the Beavers dam and that Puddles post 11/24 never plays OSU again in any sport.

• Applause 1

On 11/16/2023 at 10:56 AM, Log Haulin said:

For sure, what do you got?

Well, a 'gentleman's' bet doesn't include any $, just a tacit agreement that we disagree on the question and we wait to see which one of us fine gentlemen (ahem) proves correct.  

We'll have to hang around for a few years, maybe, say 4-5 (?) and see how the Beavers and Cougars wind up. When a long enough period of time has elapsed I'll claim you the winner if OSU & WSU "sink under their own weight"  (I admit that's a bit vague) and their "revenues dry up". 

If not then you will declare me the winner and we go somewhere and grab a beer.  Loser buys the 1st round.  Winner buys the 2nd.  That way it's revenue neutral: the gentlemen's bet.

• Thanks 1

On 11/16/2023 at 11:22 AM, Jon Joseph said:

... and that Puddles post 11/24 never plays OSU again in any sport.

Oh, say it isn't so Joe. Er, Jon...  Say it isn't so!

• Haha 1

On 11/16/2023 at 11:22 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Not yet officially approved by the MW. The Sun Belt already turned down OSU and WSU's offer of an alliance. I'm not sure why the MW would approve this knowing down the road that the Pac-2 would likely try and poach MW teams.

Sorry I don't have a link for you Jon but I read on one of my feeds that there are "substantial" penalties if the Pac-2 do any kind of a merger without all of the current MWC members.

I guess we all suspect that relegation is bound to happen at some point, but it looks like the MWC has this covered for now.

• Thanks 1