Mic

Prime aka Neon Deion

I heard Texas A&M may have offered Deion Jimbo's former job.  Does anyone think he might take his two boys and move back to Texas?  He could keep on wearing that hat he's so fond of.  Remember, he was once a Cowboy.

• Wow 1

Nope- don't see him going to TAMU.  Then again in this crazy world of college football ........

On 11/17/2023 at 11:27 AM, Mic said:

I heard Texas A&M may have offered Deion Jimbo's former job.  Does anyone think he might take his two boys and move back to Texas?  He could keep on wearing that hat he's so fond of.  Remember, he was once a Cowboy.

Not a chance A&M offered the gig to Sanders. 

On 11/17/2023 at 11:52 AM, Desert Duck said:

Ditto.  That school would not make that offer.  No way.

On 11/17/2023 at 11:52 AM, Desert Duck said:

He's got the flash. 

And TAMU has the same problem USC does... It wants to hire flash and a quick fix. 

Dion is waiting for the cougs job to open up. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My guess, It will be Urban Meyer.....

Knows how to coach college ball and deal with big time recruits and boosters.

He's been at Utah, Florida & OSU and won big time.....why wouldn't they go with a guy with a proven record at the collegiate level.

Now someone might correct me, I believe the new rules mean that his kids would have to sit out a year, so if that's true then I would think there is zero chance he's leaving this year.  I'm sure there might be a waiver, but I can only imagine how long that appeal would take.

The more I think about it, I think they should go with Traylor from UTSA, I know they probably won't because A&M tends to go with a high profile guy, but it really makes sense to me that they go in a different direction.  They don't need flash, they need hard work, nobody better for that than an old high school coach from East Texas. 

Probably means we lose Stein, but I think that's the way they should go.

Edited by spartan2785

On 11/17/2023 at 6:18 PM, spartan2785 said:

Now someone might correct me, I believe the new rules mean that his kids would have to sit out a year, so if that's true then I would think there is zero chance he's leaving this year.  I'm sure there might be a waiver, but I can only imagine how long that appeal would take.

The more I think about it, I think they should go with Traylor from UTSA, I know they probably won't because A&M tends to go with a high profile guy, but it really makes sense to me that they go in a different direction.  They don't need flash, they need hard work, nobody better for that than an old high school coach from East Texas. 

Probably means we lose Stein, but I think that's the way they should go.

Correct on transfers. Every player gets a freebie and the Sanders kids used theirs to get to Colorado. 

I am also pretty sure that the NCAA, as toothless as they are, won't sign a waiver of "my dad got a new coaching job." 

I think Sanders stays put for a year and then either gets another job or leaves coaching entirely. I kinda get the sense that he is in it for his kids. But I think he also has an even younger son so who knows. 

I also don't think Stein is a shoe in at UTSA either. He may be able to get the job or he can stay at Oregon for a year or two more and end up with a Power Conference job (no idea what number to put on it right now). 

UTSA isn't his dream job, it's just where he had an opportunity and I'm saying he isn't grateful for it but I could see him waiting for a bigger opportunity to be a HC which would come if he stays at Oregon a little longer.

On 11/17/2023 at 7:12 PM, David Marsh said:

I also don't think Stein is a shoe in at UTSA either. He may be able to get the job or he can stay at Oregon for a year or two more and end up with a Power Conference job (no idea what number to put on it right now). 

UTSA isn't his dream job, it's just where he had an opportunity and I'm saying he isn't grateful for it but I could see him waiting for a bigger opportunity to be a HC which would come if he stays at Oregon a little longer.

I was actually was thinking he might go join Traylor at A&M, I'm sure they could offer him more, he would be going back to coaching under his old boss, back to his home state.  Wouldn't be surprised if they offered him at least.

Talk is cheap, Results matter. The 2024 recruit ranking has Colorado....check list...

On 11/17/2023 at 10:19 PM, spartan2785 said:

I was actually was thinking he might go join Traylor at A&M, I'm sure they could offer him more, he would be going back to coaching under his old boss, back to his home state.  Wouldn't be surprised if they offered him at least.

If Oregon wants to run with the big dogs they need to pay their assistants accordingly. This means paying them enough to keep them from taking G5 jobs and making lateral moves as assistants on other P5 teams. If you look at the top 20 paid coordinators in the link below they all make around $2M/year (Tosh makes around $1.7/year). That said, there are a few G5 jobs that pay over $2M, but I’m speaking in generalities.

That kind of money won’t keep them from taking HC jobs in the P5 conferences. That’s where Saban, Meyer, etc lose their assistants. Some have made lateral moves, but those have been driven by personality differences. Guys like Pete Golding, Tosh, Nussmeier and Mario left because they either disliked working for Saban or he told them he was replacing them.

In the case of Brent Venables, he left OU for Clemson because Stoops hired his brother to be co-DC after he was fired from Arizona. It was a lateral move and OU could’ve matched his pay if they wanted him to stay. Oregon can and should match Stein’s offers up to the going rate for top coordinators. However, if A&M wants to over-pay then I wouldn’t match their offer.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

On 11/18/2023 at 4:45 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

If Oregon wants to run with the big dogs they need to pay their assistants accordingly. This means paying them enough to keep them from taking G5 jobs and making lateral moves as assistants on other P5 teams. If you look at the top 20 paid coordinators in the link below they all make around $2M/year (Tosh makes around $1.7/year). That said, there are a few G5 jobs that pay over $2M, but I’m speaking in generalities.

That kind of money won’t keep them from taking HC jobs in the P5 conferences. That’s where Saban, Meyer, etc lose their assistants. Some have made lateral moves, but those have been driven by personality differences. Guys like Pete Golding, Tosh, Nussmeier and Mario left because they either disliked working for Saban or he told them he was replacing them.

In the case of Brent Venables, he left OU for Clemson because Stoops hired his brother to be co-DC after he was fired from Arizona. It was a lateral move and OU could’ve matched his pay if they wanted him to stay. Oregon can and should match Stein’s offers up to the going rate for top coordinators. However, if A&M wants to over-pay then I wouldn’t match their offer.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

Is WS a top OC in the country to justify top pay? Can that be concluded in less than a season played? Would it be an emotional response to just open the check book to keep him from leaving?

Lannings actions show clearly that money isn't always the key/only motivation.  But it is near the top of the list.

A&M is a top 15 job, so is Oregon. Both have great facilities and deep pockets. Both are great progr'ms.

If WS is offered the OC job at aTm, wouldn't it come down to more personal reasons to take the job or not for WS?

I have the opinion that Stein is better off at Oregon in the long term. But I am not Will Stein. He and his family will decide what they think is best.

Hope he stays for next year. It will show whether he has the chops or just had inherited talent in players and outstanding coaches around him. 

On 11/18/2023 at 8:07 AM, Log Haulin said:

Is WS a top OC in the country to justify top pay? Can that be concluded in less than a season played? Would it be an emotional response to just open the check book to keep him from leaving?It will show whether he has the chops or just had inherited talent in players and outstanding coaches around him. 

Oregon is #2 in total offense. This is a product of not only great talent, but making the right offensive calls at the right time to get the ball in their hands. Bo might cover up a few warts that may exist with a less experienced QB because he’s like a coach on the field. However, that’s also a product of a good QB Coach (Stein). I’m sure DL will do what it takes to keep him around.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/18/2023 at 5:49 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Bo might cover up a few warts that may exist with a less experienced QB because he’s like a coach on the field

Right. I think this validates the questions. If I was Oregon I would hold off on paying the guy top dollar.

Also, if I was aTm I would be very selective on coaching hires. Perhaps not amongst us fans but A&M is a coveted job in the coaching circles.

Another year at Oregon without Nix will tell both schools exactly who Stein is as an OC. A year is a small price to pay for such an important job. 

Lanning is conviced Stein is the real deal. And maybe thats true enough. Lanning has a pretty good record with evaluating coaching talent.

After a year aTm will have a lot more information, but so will Oregon. If Stein has the chops, another year is also a small price for a possible bidding war for his services. 

Play this right and he could add digits to his income and still go home to his dream (?) Job in a short time. Dudes super young, he has the time to do this right.

On 11/18/2023 at 9:38 AM, Log Haulin said:

Right. I think this validates the questions. If I was Oregon I would hold off on paying the guy top dollar.

Also, if I was aTm I would be very selective on coaching hires. Perhaps not amongst us fans but A&M is a coveted job in the coaching circles.

Another year at Oregon without Nix will tell both schools exactly who Stein is as an OC. A year is a small price to pay for such an important job. 

Lanning is conviced Stein is the real deal. And maybe thats true enough. Lanning has a pretty good record with evaluating coaching talent.

After a year aTm will have a lot more information, but so will Oregon. If Stein has the chops, another year is also a small price for a possible bidding war for his services. 

Play this right and he could add digits to his income and still go home to his dream (?) Job in a short time. Dudes super young, he has the time to do this right.

If I’m going to lose him then I’m going to pay him to keep him from walking. It’s a calculated risk that I would be willing to take if I’m Lanning or Mullen.