Charles Fischer

The Pac-2 is Ruse, a Sham That Makes NO SENSE

Within this whole discussion is the attempt to fool everyone about the future of OSU/WSU, yet the entities who will be paying for media rights will not be fooled at all. There is no Pac-12 brand any longer, nor is there actually a Pac-2.  What is the bottom line of the Pac-2?

It is the Mountain West with two new teams who have been valued by the marketplace as Mountain West teams.  

Do you think Fox or ESPN will pay this new Pacific conference more than an Mountain West contract?  No, of course not. Their viewership and brand is the same as other Mountain West teams, and for them to pretend that they are going to create a new conference....with Mountain West teams and try to assert they deserve more money as a result?

ESPN and Fox will laugh in their face.  It is a lame attempt at....

giphy.gif

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

The Pac-2... seriously?!  The NCAA can't take this as a legitimate P5 conference and give the winner an automatic playoff bid for the expanded playoff.

They wouldn't do that....right??

IMHO the answer would be NO.

The NCAA apparently has ok'd the "Pac-02" until 2025 to allow time to rebuild the Pac-?

At best, the hope is to bring in select MWC teams, maybe an AAC team or 2 and continue as a power 5 conference. 

This won't fool anyone, the Pac will be only be a glorified G5 conference and will not get full respect from playoff committee in the future.

It will be surprising if other conferences allow a Pac-? winner to get automatic bid in future playoff negotiations. 

The hope for OSU is to keep power 5 status. My guess is they will, but in name only.

TV contracts won't reflect huge amounts nor will other conferences treat them any better then they do for CUSA.

But we will see. 

At least the civil war might continue as a Sept game.

On 11/20/2023 at 1:33 PM, Ktmguy2018 said:

The Pac-2... seriously?!  The NCAA can't take this as a legitimate P5 conference and give the winner an automatic playoff bid for the expanded playoff.

They wouldn't do that....right??

It does not look like the Pac2 would receive an automatic spot in the playoffs. This is a long article but it does a good job of explaining the possibilities for the Pac2.

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

For OSU and WSU, the clock is ticking in a variety of ways. But there may be a lifeline on the table.

I would argue that the Pac-2 is not a ruse, it is not a sham and it makes perfect sense for OSU and WSU. They are following the NCAA rules which allow them to keep the conference alive for two years. The Mountain West TV contract expires in 2026. I hope they use the two years wisely and keep the conference alive. If Oregon had been left behind we would be doing the same thing.

https://www.si.com/college/2023/11/19/oregon-state-washington-state-ncaa-confirmation-pac-2-plan-report

Edited by JB89
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 11/20/2023 at 2:01 PM, DanLduck said:

This won't fool anyone, the Pac will be only be a glorified G5 conference and will not get full respect from playoff committee in the future.

Nor will it fool the consuming public, ESPN or Fox.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/20/2023 at 2:13 PM, JB89 said:

I would argue that the Pac-2 is not a ruse, it is not a sham and it makes perfect sense for OSU and WSU.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

I disagree.  What else are OSU and WSU supposed to do?  It’s not a long-term solution but it is a bridge for them.  Had something like this happened in the 1980’s our Ducks would have been in real danger of being relegated.  I am hoping the best outcome for both schools.  Now let’s beat the Beavers on Friday.  

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/20/2023 at 2:51 PM, TexasDuck said:

I disagree.  What else are OSU and WSU supposed to do?  It’s not a long-term solution but it is a bridge for them.  Had something like this happened in the 1980’s our Ducks would have been in real danger of being relegated.  I am hoping the best outcome for both schools.  Now let’s beat the Beavers on Friday.  

I did not say they shouldn't try it.  But it will quickly be seen for the sham that it is.

They are trying to cheat Oregon out of 35 million.  I have no such sympathy for them.

OSU Fan_Kevin Cline.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

They can get an at-large berth like all the other G5 schools or be the highest ranked G5.  May take at least 12-1 or perhaps 13-0, and if they go that then they probably deserve a slot.  Wanna make the playoffs?  Win.  Beat the rodents Friday, the hydrant wetters the following Friday.

Come on. FOX or ESPN will gladly take the $200 million windfall to show their games every weekend on FS1 or ESPN2.

Edited by Solar

On 11/20/2023 at 2:43 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Nor will it fool the consuming public, ESPN or Fox.

Heck the Pac (1)2 network might not want them.

I do think there will be a West Coast conference again someday. But it won't be called the Pac-# but probably something like Pacific Coast Conference (PCC) or something like that because the Pac name will still exist. 

But at that point I doubt OSU and WSU will be invited to this eventual new West Coast conference. 

Use the 2024 most recent committee rankings and OR ST would be the 2024 4 seed as the MW champ with a 1st round bye.

These folks are shooting themselves in the foot. No way the Pac-Whatever will be considered to be a power conference. Why not get it over with? Settle the idiotic litigation, obtain the Pac-12 trademark as part of the settlement, and do a reverse merger with the MW.

Why Rob is going out of his way to try and schedule OSU is beyond me especially if a 2024 game is played at OSU instead of playing Boise in Autzen.

Ohio State and UW, and at UCLA, Michigan, and Wisconsin is more than enough. Plus a P5 game with Texas Tech. Maybe Rob is trying to placate the state pols but I see no way the state is going to ding OR the way CA. is dinging UCLA.

On 11/21/2023 at 1:41 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Why Rob is going out of his way to try and schedule OSU is beyond me especially if a 2024 game is played at OSU instead of playing Boise in Autzen.

Ding, ding, ding.

This is nothing but cowering to the bleeding hearts.  We have a program that will, after so many years, twist the knife.  How about some guts from the higher ups now?

Political pressure?  FEBU

Public optics?  FEBU

Caring about others?  FEBU

We get nothing out of a dropping of Boise and an addition of OAC.  We are fighting for fans.  As a fan, wouldn't you rather begin to square the ledger with Boise.  OAC does not even have a conference.  Who, besides their fans, gives a hoot about them.  The media has spoken, now we must.

I do hope that these bleeding heart Duck fans start to realize the gift we have before us, accept it, and fight like hell to keep it.

Step one:  relegate OAC to the dust bin.

• Great post! 1