Duckman60

Just Came to My Senses About the Pac-12

I been going through scenarios that puts both Oregon and Washington in the CFP.  There is an outside shot for that to happen, Okst beating Texas (Or Texas Tech), OSU crushing Michigan, FSU losing and Georgia beating Alabama, but not likely.  I originally thought how cool it would be if the Pac-12 had 2 team in the playoffs. 

Then I realized, it doesn't matter, Pac-12 is done, so why care about how good the league looks for next year.  So I hope we crush UW (after we beat the Beavers) so that no way they get in.  We would ruin their last chance for many years to get to the CFP and then they fall to the level of the Minnesota's and Indiana's of the Big 10. How sweet that sounds! 

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Jumping ahead maybe a bit much, but I for one would really like to see a rematch of Oregon - Georgia.  

This team looks completely different than the one that got waxed last year.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 9:30 AM, Duckman60 said:

I originally thought how cool it would be if the Pac-12 had 2 team in the playoffs. 

I suppose, as it would mean the swan song of the Pac-12 represented the one time it was perceived to be as strong as the SEC. Even remotely possible? No, probably not.

Oregon needs to have convincing wins over Beavus and then Fusky in the Pac-12 CG to ensure it gets to the CFP as a one loss team. Beating UW in that fashion would effectively knock the mutts out of consideration, just like Oregon needs tOSU or Michigan to win convincingly enough to knock the other out of contention.

If Alabama eked out a narrow win over Georgia in the SEC CG, does anyone think the CFP committee wouldn't put two 12-1 SEC teams in and leave a 12-1 Pac-12 champion out? Oregon needs to put the hammer down the next two weeks to just be in the narrative.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

On 11/21/2023 at 9:55 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

I suppose, as it would mean the swan song of the Pac-12 represented the one time it was perceived to be as strong as the SEC. Even remotely possible? No, probably not.

Oregon needs to put the hammer down the next two weeks to just be in the narrative.

To the 1st sentence above, many (honest) pundits have already admitted the Pac-12 is either the best or almost the best conference this year, - though it comes a little late for that to matter, now.  The Pac has committed suicide and blown itself into bits and pieces.

To the 2nd sentence - I agree 100% (and I suspect just about every Ducks fan does as well).  It's the very definition of the so-called "Eye Test" if such a test has any effect on the Playoff committee. Two dominant wins, if achievable, would look much better than two close squeakers regardless of how unrealistic that is.  It seems to be what the committee wants to see: dominant wins (Texas excepted).

It’ll be interesting to see if Lanning takes his foot off the gas against Oregon State and Washington, if given the opportunity.  Seems like if Oregon wants to ensure a spot in the playoffs and Bo the Heisman, we need to dominate our remaining opponents. 

On 11/21/2023 at 9:55 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

needs tOSU or Michigan to win

Preferably t(he other)OSU to beat Michigan as I think the committee would love to punish them for their sign stealing.  But the room better be swept before voting to make sure Michigan hasn't installed cameras.

On 11/21/2023 at 10:32 AM, OregonDucks said:

It’ll be interesting to see if Lanning takes his foot off the gas against Oregon State and Washington, if given the opportunity.  Seems like if Oregon wants to ensure a spot in the playoffs and Bo the Heisman, we need to dominate our remaining opponents. 

DL is well aware of the beauty contest we are in. I see the starters playing nearly the entire Civil War game even in a blowout, and 100% of the conference championship even with a blowout.

I don't see him slowing tempo in either game until the last drive or two of the 4th quarter either. We must clearly dominate both games. There is no alternative.

• Thumbs Up 1

If we’re in a position to rest starters in any of our remaining games, DL would be smart to do it.

Not only is the committee sophisticated enough to understand garbage time, but they could see it as a flex move.

And obviously, it puts OBD in the best position to win the next game.

The only people who would be convinced by stat-padding are the SEC and B1G pundits who just look at the final scores.