David Marsh

Are Oregon's Corners Too Physical for the Pac-12?

Watching the game and the flags that were thrown I kept saying to myself, and whoever in the room that would listen, so usually no one, that those flags were most crap. 

There was physical play on Oregon's side but I kept thinking that a good portion of the PI flags on Oregon wouldn't have been flagged in the B1G or SEC. They would have let the players play a physical game against each other. 

But in the Pac-12 getting too physical at DB is often a flag. Granted what frustrated me most is always the late flag where the play is over and everyone starts to reset and the flag flys in. 

But I think this Oregon team is going to be just fine in the B1G next year because of the physicality of this team. And I'm really starting to think that the Pac-12 refs just don't let the DBs play all that physical. 

Unless you're Washington in which case you can hold receivers all you want and ram opposing players with your helmets. 

• Thanks 1
  • Mic drop 2
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

You might be on to something. Either way, I hope they keep playing physical. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/24/2023 at 8:59 PM, Log Haulin said:

You might be on to something. Either way, I hope they keep playing physical. 

I think in some ways that is why we may not have seen a "correction" because Lanning and co want them to be physical and because of that physical play they broke up a number of passes that would have been catches otherwise. I do remember after the Texas Tech game, which did have Pac-12 refs, that Lanning basically said he wasn't concerned by a couple of the PIs because the players were playing physical and sometimes a flag gets thrown.

It felt that way a few times tonight where the flag was thrown but any other conference's refs wouldn't have thrown it to begin with.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This rings true to me. I remember talk in previous years about the difficulty of recruiting top corners in part because of the flag-happy Pac officials.

I think we all mean the Pack 2 refs don’t we!

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope that they don’t dial it back and continue to play physical and aggressive. It’ll benefit us in the post-season and next year. 

Edited by OregonDucks

The number one aspect of the Pac-12 I will not miss is the officiating.  It has always been a detriment to style of play and the comparison to other Power 5 conferences.   A huge chunk of the conference's "softness" reputation is due to the way Pac-12 officials were groomed for league play.

Once we found out that Limo Larry was trying to control game calls live from a "central location" it confirmed that the Pac-12 was an outlier in how it viewed the role of officiating as "consequential" to the game.   Other conferences let the flow of play, coaching, game planning and player talent dictate the action with officiating as a "last resort" competitive element.

Now we get to smash mouth with the big kids and leave the nursery school behind.  Good riddance.

Oh, and I won't miss road games at Stanford, The Palouse, Bean Dip Bowl, and the Arizona Desert either.

• Like 1

Pac refs should just start applying for middle school games because they're just good enough to make that cut!

You bring up a huge point in the dawgs use to Pac-12 refs to their advantage. You will see Penix throw short, and call for interference before the play is even over.

The Ducks will need to get the inside position and their heads looking back next week. This is how we need to play it against the leg lifters next week!

If we do one of the biggest weapons the dawgs have will be neutered.

nex3pxplstqx3swa.jpg.webp

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just hope the B1G doesn't hire any Crap 12 refs, for any sport.  Let them be Crap 2 or MWC or whatever, or middle school flag football.  Oh wait, poor kids...naw.