Dave23

Ohio State vs Michigan: What Helps the Ducks Playoff Chances?

Who are you rooting for and how dose it help Oregon's playoff hopes?

While I'm not actively rooting for OSUt I believe if they annihilate Michigan the Ducks have a better chance of making the Playoffs. A one loss Michigan doesn't look as good as a one loss OSUt and we're going to need all the help we can get to make the playoffs.

Biggest thing to help Oregon right now is that Oregon beats Washington. Do it with a respectable margin and all the better. 

I think Oregon matches up against both rather well. 

But in the grand scheme of things it all comes down to the comitee which seems to like Oregon. One thing Oregon has done a great job of this season is just dealing with lesser competition. We have only had two nail biters all year. 

Texas Tech was dicy for a while there and then the loss to Washington, which could have been in a win but the Ducks shot themselves in the foot. 

The B1G sucks outside of 2 teams at the top and a top 25 but by no means great PSU team. 

The pac-12 has done what it always does and canabalized itself after the top two teams. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Oregon's beat down of the Beavers throws them out of the top 25 just to cause us some problems. 

No team that plays Oregon is the same afterwards. If Colorado played USC before Oregon I think there's a good chance they would have stayed ranked for a couple more weeks. They played Oregon and were exposed badly and were thrown from the rankings. They would have lost that ranking regardless they aren't that good but Oregon threw them from the rankings fast. 

USC gave up on their team after Oregon. 

I don't knownthat it matters. What matters is one team blowing up the other imo. I am hoping for a blowout. Preferably Buckeye win.

• Thumbs Up 1

Michigan loses n they are out no matter what..sos is really weak, tex,Alabama,ore, maybe even 1 loss fuskie or fsu would go ahead I believe 

A blowout would help Oregon's chances the most.  Doesn't matter if it's Michigan or Ohio State.

Looking like's it going to be a 3-0 game, at this point. 

Edited by OregonDucks

Whoever wins I hope it's by a big margin. A FSU lose today would also be nice.

I'm still worried that a one loss Georgia steals a playoff spot and the SEC gets two teams in the playoffs even in a down year.

Big 10 offenses are really bad, 

On 11/25/2023 at 10:39 AM, TFITZ81 said:

Can't wait to show them what a real offense looks like. 3 of the ex PAC teams can really put up some points. 

I am not pulling for either team but what I am pulling for is an UGLY game...one of those games where the committee is not thinking, wow these teams are both really good...can we get them both in.

Ugly, mistake filled, penalties....that's my hope.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/25/2023 at 9:46 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

I am not pulling for either team but what I am pulling for is an UGLY game...one of those games where the committee is not thinking, wow these teams are both really good...can we get them both in.

Ugly, mistake filled, penalties....that's my hope.

The media will just say how amazing the defenses are...

• Haha 1

On 11/25/2023 at 12:31 PM, Dave23 said:

Whoever wins I hope it's by a big margin. A FSU lose today would also be nice.

I'm still worried that a one loss Georgia steals a playoff spot and the SEC gets two teams in the playoffs even in a down year.

It is possible that if GA loses close to Bama they could sneak in.  But if Oregon beat UW convincingly, I can’t fathom them not making the Playoff 

On 11/25/2023 at 9:54 AM, SoGaDawg said:

It is possible that if GA loses close to Bama they could sneak in.  But if Oregon beat UW convincingly, I can’t fathom them not making the Playoff 

Just take care of business and beat Bama!

While it sucks, Georgia deserves a shot in the playoffs at a back to back national champions. The only thing that keeps Georgia out is 2 losses (extremely unlikely) or if they get blown out by Bama (also unlikely).

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/25/2023 at 10:54 AM, SoGaDawg said:

But if Oregon beat UW convincingly, I can’t fathom them not making the Playoff 

I really hope you're right, I have very little faith in the committee giving any love to the PAC.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm voting for one of these teams to annihilate and beat the ever-luvin-crap out of the other one... by a huge, wide, margin. 

Couldn't care less which one wins. 

• Thumbs Up 4

On 11/25/2023 at 12:58 PM, Dave23 said:

I really hope you're right, I have very little faith in the committee giving any love to the PAC.

I really think so.  The only loss is by 3 points to a team now ranked 4 in the country.  And that loss is avenged by then beating the #4 team to win the PAC-12.  Not to mention the eye test, an offense averaging 46points, and Bo Nix.  Gonna be really hard to justify not putting them in.  Impossible IMO.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/25/2023 at 11:12 AM, SoGaDawg said:

I really think so.  The only loss is by 3 points to a team now ranked 4 in the country.  And that loss is avenged by then beating the #4 team to win the PAC-12.  Not to mention the eye test, an offense averaging 46points, and Bo Nix.  Gonna be really hard to justify not putting them in.  Impossible IMO.

That's good to hear from a SEC fan.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/25/2023 at 9:39 AM, TFITZ81 said:

Ohio State's offense being so meh this year is a bit of a shocker because that's been their strength. Day is an offensive guy. 

They are getting punched pretty bad right now. 

I do think our Ducks could probably take Michigan or Ohio State right now though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

SoGaDawg -

What you're saying makes sense, but I'm afraid that we might be looking at a repeat of 2001 all over again. 

But perhaps that's just me because of wounds from a memory and time gone by.

I sure hope so. 

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/25/2023 at 11:31 AM, David Marsh said:

Ohio State's offense being so meh this year is a bit of a shocker because that's been their strength. Day is an offensive guy. 

They really need an upgrade at QB.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/25/2023 at 1:33 PM, Desert Duck said:

SoGaDawg -

What you're saying makes sense, but I'm afraid that we might be looking at a repeat of 2001 all over again. 

But perhaps that's just me because of wounds from a memory and time gone by.

I sure hope so. 

Yeah I remember, Oregon got screwed that season.  That was BCS bs though.  Hopefully nothing like that this season 🤞

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/25/2023 at 11:39 AM, Dave23 said:

They really need an upgrade at QB.

No Bo's for Ohio State, please.

If Michigan ends up loosing this game at home I see no way can they make the playoffs.

That would mean only one win over a ranked team. An over-ranked Penn State.

If Day loses to Mich for 3rd year in a row does his backside heat up a little? Don't known that his job is in jeopardy but Buckeye wont be happy 

Well...what happened was about the worst outcome for the Ducks.

6 point loss by the road team in a game that was in question basically to the final play. Much like ODB's loss to UW, this will be perceived as a pretty "good" loss by the powers that be.

Hopefully it won't matter, but it certainly didn't help. As others have said, we really wanted a decisive win one way or the other to knock the loser down harder. Oh well.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/25/2023 at 1:11 PM, bbmichaels said:

Well...what happened was about the worst outcome for the Ducks.

6 point loss by the road team in a game that was in question basically to the final play. Much like ODB's loss to UW, this will be perceived as a pretty "good" loss by the powers that be.

Hopefully it won't matter, but it certainly didn't help. As others have said, we really wanted a decisive win one way or the other to knock the loser down harder. Oh well.

This. Some will argue OSU now has the best loss in the country, not Oregon. When we lost we only dropped one spot. OSU will NOT fall below us on Tuesday.

Similar worst case scenario will be Alabama beating Georgia by a couple of points. How far will Georgia fall?

If things get really ugly this way, I could see the committee throwing up their hands and just sticking with zero and one loss conference champions to spread the wealth in the final season of the stupidly restrictive 4 team playoff with 5 conferences.

Then it is just a matter leaving out the least competitive conference/conference champion.

I think it would be fair to rank tOSU higher than the ducks but below the Fuskies this week.

But next Friday, OBD will be dismantling the #3 team while tOSU will be sitting on their thumbs.

The committee would surely take a 1-loss conf champ over a 1-loss loser.

Also, we know the committee has looked more favorably at losses at the beginning of the season compared to November.

• Thumbs Up 2