Ktmguy2018

Intelligent Conversation With A Husky Fan

This morning, I was waiting for my order at Starbucks in the Cosmopolitan and an individual wearing a Husky jersey walked over to the waiting area.  I was wearing my Duck gear so my allegiance was clear.

Not knowing what to expect, we started with the "you going to the game?" casualness.  Conversation turned to the season, the playoffs, the medias crush/love affair with the SEC, etc.

He was an old school fan like me and had a TON of respect for what the Ducks have accomplished.  We both bemoaned the destruction of our beloved conference at the hands of idiots and talked about the new conference.

While both of us are excited for the new competition, the logistics of getting to games is gonna hurt the wallet.  Wouldn't you know it, as we are having a great conversation, some younger UW fan walks over and says "why ya talking to a Duck?"

My new acquaintance just shook his head and said that these new/younger fans have no respect for recognizing good competition and just want to think of everyone else as subhuman.

We parted ways, each with our drink of choice.  I dislike the Huskies, always have.  But I did find a like minded fan today....he just happens to like the "other" team.

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 13
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 10:53 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

these new/younger fans have no respect for recognizing good competition and just want to think of everyone else as subhuman.

Probably goes both ways, unfortunately. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 12/1/2023 at 10:53 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

But I did find a like minded fan today....he just happens to like the "other" team.

Thanks for sharing this.

They're out there. They just get overlooked because the idiots are so much more vocal.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Great take. But isn't 'intelligent UW fan' except for Jimmy Lake, an oxymoron?😒

• Mic drop 1

If you travel to enough games you will encounter great fans, and not so great fans for both teams.

I love the atmosphere of “the big game” and most people are fairly well behaved. However, there are always a few people who apparently decide that straight shots are the drink of the day.

Many times, these are also the guys that want to let everyone know their opinion.

Hope everyone’s game day avoids that guy…lol

• Thumbs Up 1

Living in the kennel as I do, I come in contact with that sort of experience more often than one might think. 

Just this morning at my barbershop, I sat next in line to a Husky fan in the chair who was cooly assessing his teams chances to the barber based on both teams’ games with the Beavers, and didn’t think the comparison played well for his team. 

We bantered a bit, trading our respective views on the game, and doing it with appreciation and respect. Yes, he was, like myself, an older fan no longer confined by the passionate blinders of youth.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm trying my best to channel my youthful hatred of all things dawg, and this isn't helping!

Please confine all the niceties for after our victory, until then it's them against us, GO DUCKS!

I had a similar experience this afternoon waiting for my pizza at Papa Murphy's.  The husky fan was a senior citizen like me.  He didn't have any purple game wear on.

He recognized me as a Duck fan (Black Oregon hoodie) and said he was a husky fan.  We wished each other a good game.  Then he said, " I do like Bo Nix.  He's having a good year."

I agreed and picked up my pizza and left.  Imagine my surprise - a good interaction with a Washington Husky.  I'm taking it as a good omen for the Ducks!

People who life long fans and born/raised in the NW. All sympathize regarding the demise of the PAC. It's been our history and traditions for more than a 100 years. The fans that seem OK with it are people who don't live in the NW or came to school here but left. I don't think that the BIG is going to be that great. Too much travel and lack of real competition except the top two teams, maybe three since Jonathan Smith is relocating. It will be exciting to watch the moaning and groaning when they have to come to Autzen, a place none of those teams want to see.

On 12/1/2023 at 6:23 PM, Sandy Rocks said:

People who life long fans and born/raised in the NW. All sympathize regarding the demise of the PAC. It's been our history and traditions for more than a 100 years. The fans that seem OK with it are people who don't live in the NW or came to school here but left. I don't think that the BIG is going to be that great. Too much travel and lack of real competition except the top two teams, maybe three since Jonathan Smith is relocating. It will be exciting to watch the moaning and groaning when they have to come to Autzen, a place none of those teams want to see.

I lived in Oregon for all of 2 1/2 years and I'm sick over the demise of the PAC. I think it is ironic that this last year, the PAC is arguably as good as any conference in the country. 

As for UW fans, when I was in Portland most of my best friends were either UW fans or Beaver fans. I found both to be great fan bases, I gravitated to the Duck largely for style of play.

I never really did like UW, though I still have good friends who are UW fans. I do still root for the Beavers when they aren't playing the ducks.

My work is based in the Seattle area, but I work out of a satellite office down in the Portland area. I was born and raised in Oregon, and as a Duck, so naturally my Washington colleagues know my allegiance as well. 

From what I've gathered, most of them keep the rivalry very civilized, showing good sportsmanship, but also not afraid to give, or take a jab or two. Those are Dawg fans that I respect, and even like. 

... but Lord knows there's a lot of butt sniffers up there that I don't. 

It's great to hear about two rival fans being perfectly civilized, and mature about sports. I'm happy that the other fella made a comment about the younger fan, as I would probably do the same if roles had been reversed. 

Sports are to be enjoyed. It's meant to substitute war, not actually create it. And now I have just a slight bit more respect for the other side. 

However, I still hope they are all crying in their cornflakes come tomorrow morning. 😁🦆

Great post! 

Edited by Krsmqn