Charles Fischer

See the Other Sites? Good-Gosh I Love You Guys...

We have had some terrible periods of Oregon football to go through when it comes to managing comments or posts as I've done over the years. There were a number of them between the meltdowns in 2016 with the 4-8 season, the decline of offense under Cristobal, his leaving, and of course, Willie Taggart.

So, as a publisher on FishDuck, and an Administrator on this forum--I recognize that when Oregon loses a game--a percentage of fans go nuts.  It is the worst time, and we've lost TONS of great people who lost their heads, and when confronted about it would double-down over pride.

I figured last night would be bad, but it was NOT. Sure we had a few, and I banned one, but that was minor compared to the past.  And SO MANY of you were great fans in acknowledging the play of the Huskies, and being good sports about the future.

Did you see the other sites?  Whew!

I go there for some humor and for some information to pass along, but last night (and today) the threads on those sites--made me turn my head away and get out. Calling them a "Cesspool" is not accurate enough. The vile nature behind the writing is enough to make you choke, and this is over Our Beloved Ducks?

That is why I created this forum, to escape the terrible part of human nature that is online.  I love this forum community, and while we are not large, we truly are special in the web world. Each one of you is rare, as you value civility over chaos and you are connected here with kindred souls.

Cherish your part in this, and make the most of it!

I wish I could give you all....

giphy.gif

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Yeah I was surprised at the general tone of comments on the Talk'n Dawgs site tonight after the Dawgs loss to Alabama. It was a great game, was reasonably well officiated, and both teams had an opportunity to win in the last five minutes. Bama got it done; There were a few mitigating factors I could mention, and some posters did bring up, but in my opinion, those are losers' laments. I was very surprisingly OK with what went down and can congratulate the Crimson Tide. It is nice when you can breeze through sets of comments without having jerks ruining things with their ridiculous rants and ravings.

I'd like to thank Charles for shielding us from the majority of hotheads and trolls. It has to be a tiresome job.

• Thanks 1

On 12/2/2023 at 10:25 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

It has to be a tiresome job.

Nobody has ANY idea.  Because we do not operate as all the other sites do--I get tremendous push-back that has taken a ton of time and energy over the years.

Thank you!

Mr. FishDuck

I rarely post but always read.  Thank you Charles for this haven.  I just scrolled through comments on one of the Ducks Instagram posts….sad and frightening

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Any Monty Python gif might be appropriate for what you go through, but I thought this one would provide a chuckle. We thank you, grateful!

monty-python-holy-grail.gif

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1

The sad thing to me is these people who have these meltdowns and then vent from behind the anonymity of their key boards call themselves 'Duck fans'. Not saying fans have to agree or like everything the coaches do , but vile comments are beyond unacceptable.

I am not saying they can't voice their opinion but the slander on Lanning and the coaches was disgusting.  I saw comments that DL should be fired, the team was not prepared, Lannimg is stubborn.  It was ridiculous.  Did anyone want that game more than the coaches and players????  

I wonder how all these keyboard warriors would fare if it was them standing on the sidelines and have to make a split second decision with 60,000 people watching in person and millions more watching at home.  

Thanks for keeping it real here!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Interesting and hopefully I don't come off as a know it all, too often, but my son made a comment the other day about how I present things that made me reflect. I was in a situation and I said, I think, and he stated I come across like I know it all. He said just say, my thinking now, or this is something I am processing, instead of I think.

I of course joked, yes I do know everything, but we had a nice conversation, and it allowed me to think about how we attempt to present information and how it is accepted. The most important thing is how we are perceived, and then that actually allows information to become accepted.

There are definitely times where we need to express our truth, respectfully, but we are really just expressing our thought processes. I tend to use this as a creative outlet.I know my opinion are sometimes more tangental because of that. I also use this as a place for humor, which may cross a line, as I did recently, but I know I don't mean to be a know it all, or insensitive.

Sort of a mea culpa, but we should all reflect on how we state things in social media. It isn't the best way to communicate, and can be rife with misunderstanding unless we are able, and willing to listen to how we come across, not just intend to.

4d9b14ee-9b60-4065-8d0f-3ffd8ca83c6e_text.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you @Charles Fischer for the endless hours you put into making YOUR playground safe for us to play in.

We all have opinions, and your Forum with Decorum allows us to safely post our opinions. We can respectfully disagree, but we cannot attack others for their opinions, and thankfully you enforce that.  THANK YOU.

As fans, we all get riled up at times, and is never easy to see your team lose.  Especially to a rival who has a history of low class one up-man-ship.

We will  NEVER hear the end of their perfect final PAC 12 season in which they beat us twice.  While it was no worse then when the Utes did it, the dogs will never let this one lie.

At the end of the day, and hopefully before I post, I remind myself the this is a GAME, played by KIDS, and someone always loses.  It is not failure, it is coming up short. 

We all do it from time to time, it is part of being human, and humility m is a good thing.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's a good site, and I often choose to just read

Edited by QuackerBarrel
  • Thumbs Up 1

I can never understand the total negativity of such "fans." Have they lost their houses betting on games? Are their egos so wrapped up in games that they can't handle a loss?

I mean, sure, I'm sad when the Ducks lose, but I still love OBD!

On 12/3/2023 at 10:07 AM, Annie said:

I can never understand the total negativity of such "fans." Have they lost their houses betting on games? Are their egos so wrapped up in games that they can't handle a loss?

I mean, sure, I'm sad when the Ducks lose, but I still love OBD!

Annie...I hear you.  The number of really intelligent, accomplished Oregon fans who lose their minds and write crazy over-the-top stuff when Oregon comes up short, or does not play well--has been massive surprise to me over the years.

Then, as astonished as I am, they double-down on what they wrote!  Now pride and ego come into play as "I love the rules on the OBD forum...until they apply to me."

I have learned so much about human behavior, and yet I still get surprised.  As you noted, this is not life-and-death stuff. 

And that is why I forbid anything about politics here!  Whew!

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

This is such a great site and we have Charles to thank for that.

We “speak” to each other in a civil manner, which results in a discourse that is more substantive than the maniacal rants on other ungoverned sites.

I love my Ducks, and am disappointed that we lost to the Huskies, for the second time, but they were the better team. They out-schemed us and out performed us. No question about it.

And the outcome of Friday’s game might have been lopsided had Ferguson not made two incredible circus catches for TD’s.

I will be rooting for the Huskies against Texas when they face their former coach.

I always root for the Pac-12. Always.

• Thanks 1