candyduck

Bo and Sports Psychologist

Holly Rowe mentioned Bo was seeing a sports psychologist in one of her in game reports.

While I have no problem with people seeking to better themselves through whatever means, I got the impression he just started doing this and wonder if it might hampered his game?  He just didn't seem "on" like he had most of the year.   Maybe overthinking a little at the beginning? 

She then mentioned DL told him just play your game during her halftime report.  He did just that and almost pulled it out without his "A' game.

I guess I'm an if it ain't broke don't fix it kind of guy.  Just something rambling around in my head the last few days.  Maybe someone why smarter than me can shed some light.

Edited by candyduck
  • Thumbs Up 1

'Sport psychologists are educators who teach techniques to help the athlete better handle competitive situations but they don’t help athletes get their life in order.

Clinical psychologists and psychiatrists help with life issues but do not possess the skill set of performance enhancement techniques.'

Hopefully that clarifies the issue. Pretty much every major college and professional sports team has them. Consider then a component of the training staff. An ice bath for the mind.

• Thumbs Up 2

Lots of players do see the sports psychologist, but if it was a recent decision by Bo, that is of interest.

Of course, who knows exactly why. Football related? School related? Personal? In any case, glad players have the option these days to talk to someone professional.

• Thumbs Up 1

As stated, this is pretty normal.   I am glad these resources are available.

• Thumbs Up 4

Getting trained in sports psychology should make someone react worse. I interpreted Holly's statement as Bo started doing it between end of last year and start of this one, not something he start this past week.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Actually my question is how is this relevant?   I like Holly and think she is a good reporter but this falls right into what Dan says about clicks IMO.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think you would need to know what the sport psychologist is teaching Bo Nix to have an opinion. Could range from methods of calming oneself in pressure situations, to mental preparation for a game and practice. 

Whatever is being taught seemed to be working. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It is easy to create all kinds of conjecture when we dont have all the facts on the subject......

The term phychologist is covers a wide spectrum. Often with a negative label. Grain of salt stuff....

Its been a great season with Bo being a great leader on one of Oregon's best teams ever. How many 11 or 12 win seasons have we had in 130 years?

Its been fun on this fabulous Forum to read and digest all the articles about everything Ducks.....

For this old Duck, nothing is wrong with this team, both staff and players. This group didnt execute on less than 10 plays out of thousands over the last 2 years.

Those plays are the difference between 2 CFP appearances and possible football greatness.

Give me more of this because DL's Ducks can play and compete with anyone. Eventually OBD's will climb to the mountain top.... 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/4/2023 at 2:38 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

It is easy to create all kinds of conjecture when we dont have all the facts on the subject......

The term phychologist is covers a wide spectrum. Often with a negative label. Grain of salt stuff....

Its been a great season with Bo being a great leader on one of Oregon's best teams ever. How many 11 or 12 win seasons have we had in 130 years?

Its been fun on this fabulous Forum to read and digest all the articles about everything Ducks.....

For this old Duck, nothing is wrong with this team, both staff and players. This group didnt execute on less than 10 plays out of thousands over the last 2 years.

Those plays are the difference between 2 CFP appearances and possible football greatness.

Give me more of this because DL's Ducks can play and compete with anyone. Eventually OBD's will climb to the mountain top.... 

Totally agree! Also agree with Solar.  It sounded to me like he started recently.  I guess that's why I brought it up.

I think we're in for a fun ride for many many years!!  Go Ducks!!

• Thumbs Up 1

The guy who needs it is the Placekicker....

Cam Lewis at Cal_NDP.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/4/2023 at 10:14 PM, Charles Fischer said:

The guy who needs it is the Placekicker....

Cam Lewis at Cal_NDP.jpg

36-36, 34-34