FishDuck Article

Gabriel Gives Oregon a Shot in ’24

Dillon Gabriel, you are an Oregon Duck. The Oregon QB room looked shake on Saturday morning. Bo Nix will be starting his NFL journey after coming in 3rd place in Heisman voting and hopefully winning the Ducks a Fiesta Bowl. Other than that, Oregon didn’t have any players on the roster with a start logged after high school. But on December ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Dillon Gabriel, you are an Oregon Duck. The Oregon QB room looked shake on Saturday morning. Bo Nix will be starting his NFL journey...
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

The opportunity to sign Dillon Gabriel is a no brainer in my opinion. It gives the Ducks perhaps the best chance to be competitive at the highest level going into the B1G.

Much like the Nix signing in 22', this is most likely a game changing "hire". Going from an unknown but hopeful in TT to a known commodity in Gabriel takes a lot of pressure off this team and staff. 

Gabriel is an elite level QB that had the Sooners in the National conversation for a moment. He was in the Heisman conversation  until he Suffered a head injury v. BYU.

Okie dropped a couple games after the injury that took him out of the Heisman race and Sooner out of a playoff run. But this dude can play.

For Oregon to be able to reload at the QB position so quickly says something about Oregon and this Lanning team. The Nix "hire" in 22' and what Nix was able to do here will pay dividends for years.

Elite QB's will want to be a part of that. I think Oregon will become a school known to put QB's in 1st round draft status in the future.

The rumors on Donte Moore are interesting. Landing Gabriel and Moore in the TP and signing Smith Jr could set up Oregons QB room for the next 5 years. Hope Lanning can develope QB position (yet to be seen) and Akili Smith Jr becomes elite. 

Lastly, I wish TT all the best. I am rooting hard for the guy and was hoping he would get his shot at Oregon. I hope he takes what He learned from Nix and Oregons staff and kills it next year.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ryan it sure is exciting that Gabriel has transferred to Oregon and will complete his career as a Duck.

Operating within the WS system, combined with the talent on the offense, Gabriel should be one of the best QB's in the BIG. 

If he earns the players trust and subscribes to DL's 1% improvement plan an 11-1 or 10-2 regular season is possible. Gabriel may even get an invite to the Heisman party.

Ryan I share your positive outlook for the 2024 season with Dillion as QB1. An experienced QB2 is necessary in case of an injury to QB1.

However in order to navigate next season with tOSU, Michigan and the huskies on the schedule replacing those big experienced D lineman is critical.

DL has recruited some big time HS D line talent, for certain! A few experienced, seasoned freaks and monster lineman may be needed to solidify the D.

Of course DL and staff know this. Will be exciting and nerve wracking to see how the Ducks fill those needs 

Hiring Walter Nolen with a lucrative NIL offer would be a great addition to the D line room.

Best of success to TT and all the Duck transfers as they find their new homes.

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Our season hinged on Bo Nix and his Heisman hopes. His stated goal was a National Title, and if he had made it to the playoffs, and a chance at the title he probably would have won the Heisman.

I think our stated goal should be to win the National Title and an indicator of that direction will be the Heisman talk on Dillon. If he stays in the hunt for the Heisman through the season, we are in the playoffs and have a chance. 

For this to happen we may have to pull back on Gabriel's running output. Last season he peaked at 12 rushing td's and almost 400 yds rushing. I look for those number to drop and his passing TD's to rise. We have too many weapons for Gabriel to need to put himself in danger.

Dillon is a threat to run and that is enough to keep the defense honest. What Bo did this season was brilliant and almost a carbon copy of the shift in his running play will be needed to keep Gabriel healthy. This will also lead to a better chance at the next level although he might be best in the CFL.

I agree Dillon gives us a shot in 2024 and that shot will turn on his health throughout the season, and the Heisman talk will be the canary in the coal mind. Dillon Gabriel for Heisman and Oregon for a National Title in 2024 or bust!

One other thing I would like to see with our receiver group is a shift to the big athletic receiver. Holden and Dicky with a big TE along with a speed wideout will be hard to stop. I look for Holden's stats to explode, and Dicky's to start turning heads.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2023 at 5:40 AM, Log Haulin said:

Hope Lanning can develope QB position (yet to be seen) and Akili Smith Jr becomes elite. 

I'm going to argue that DL and his chosen OCs have and are developing QBs. Case in point is Bo Nix, who elevated his game in the two years he was here. It took the right system(s) for him to excell but I believe that Nix would be the first to say how much he benefited from the coaching.

Stein is a former player at the position at Louisville and brings a QB perspective as an OC. Although TT didn't work out and hopefully will find success elsewhere, I think we all saw the improvement in his game under Stein. If Moore elects to transfer in, all the mentoring and coaching is in place to develop his considerable talent. If not, Novosad, Moga and then AKS2 are in the wings.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/10/2023 at 7:16 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

I'm going to argue that DL and his chosen OCs have and are developing QBs. Case in point is Bo Nix, who elevated his game in the two years he was here. It took the right system(s) for him to excell but I believe that Nix would be the first to say how much he benefited from the coaching.

Stein is a former player at the position at Louisville and brings a QB perspective as an OC. Although TT didn't work out and hopefully will find success elsewhere, I think we all saw the improvement in his game under Stein. If Moore elects to transfer in, all the mentoring and coaching is in place to develop his considerable talent. If not, Novosad, Moga and then AKS2 are in the wings.

Dan Lanning and his staff haven't had enough time to show they can develope a QB. They have shown they can put an established QB in position to be successful. Auburn was unable to do that with Nix. 

Lanning gave Nix a top 5 O line, top 5 receiving corps, top 5 RB room. That took a ton of pressure off Nix he didn’t have with AU.

So far, Lanning hasn't taken a non-starting QB and turned him into a power 5 starting QB on an elite team. Partly because he has only been on the job for 23 months. So the jury is still out in my opinion.

I can't say definitively that Lanning and his staff have shown to excel at QB development. They have made QB's better for sure. All QB's in the room are better than they were last season.

To me, taking a player out of high-school and developing him into an elite power 5 starter will be required before I can credit this staff on QB development. 

It's not a knock on the Oregon coaching staff. They just haven't had that tested at this point. Talent evaluation and acquisition? Lanning gets an A+.

• Thumbs Up 1

There was an interesting piece in The Athletic in October about Gabriel after the win over Texas.  Recommend it to you, if you have a subscription because a link here would not open otherwise.

Writer shares about his youth in Hawaii, and his collegiate travels - UCF - almost UCLA - Oklahoma.   Provides the reader a much better understanding than just "oh, that transfer from Oklahoma."

I would disagree about our needs from the portal.  Another proven speed receiver to replace Franklin would be ideal, IMHO, along with a stud defensive lineman or two since we lost so many seniors on the D-Line.

Troy Franklin TD catch-CS.jpg

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Thanks, Charles, great take.

The following is why taking a QB with experience and integrating the QB into your offense makes far more sense today than developing a player out of high school.

2024 Opponents -  

Idaho - FCS Playoff title contender. Bowl Eligible (BE.)

Boise State - Mountain West champion. BE. 

No. 19 Oregon State - the game in Corvallis (one less home game than was scheduled.) BE.

UCLA - BE. - the game in LA

No. 7 - Ohio State - NY6 Bowl.

No. 1 Michigan - the game in Ann Arbor - Playoff Final 4.

Maryland - BE

Wisconsin - BE - the game in Madison.

No. 2 Washington. Playoff Final 4.

Plus B1G P4 opponents Michigan State, Purdue in W. Lafayette, and Illinois.

How would any untested QB do against this schedule? Nine 2023 BE opponents including Committee ranked No. 1, No. 2, No. 6, and No.19. WOW!

On paper, this will be one of if not the most difficult schedules in the nation in 2024.

How accurately predictive are recruiting rankings for QBs coming out of HS? Why a crap shoot instead of taking a guy who has put it on Pass Line and won. A player who has played against college athletes and not just high school athletes.

Roster management and taking the correct QB out of the portal are more vital to today's game if you want to be an annual playoff contender, than coaching an inexperienced player up. If you are in the process of coaching a player up, you most likely will not be in the playoff season after season.

Go Ducks! Extinguish the Flames!

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The flip side to this coin suggests playing the QB portal lottery on a yearly basis may slowly deplete not only the growth of young QBs within the system; but could - over time - erode recruiting efforts. What effect that may have on over-all team morale remains TBD, especially in those years when you strike out on your lottery choice.

Dillon Gabriel makes ESPN's list of 2024 Hesiman Trophy contenders

Transfer quarterback Dillon Gabriel is considered by at least one publication to be a 2024 Heisman Trophy contender

247SPORTS.COM

Transfer quarterback Dillon Gabriel is considered by at least one publication to be a 2024 Heisman Trophy contender

Way-too-early candidates to win the 2024 Heisman Trophy

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

An early look at which players will likely be among the leading candidates to win the Heisman Trophy in 2024.

• Haha 1