FishDuck Article

Coach Graves…You ‘Thought We Played Well?’

What are your thoughts about the current Oregon Women's Basketball program and Coach Graves?  Give us your thoughts...

FISHDUCK.COM

Yesterday we looked at the background of Oregon Womens Basketball and what brought us up to this moment. So that brings us to the case at...
  • Applause 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I fear the same as writer Don Marsh; it will have to get far worse

before Rob Mullens acts.  With the brutal Pac-12 season coming up?

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

I agree with you about Mark Campbell. He married into women’s basketball coaching royalty. His father in-law, Brad Smith, is in the WBB HOF for the career he had at Oregon City HS.

Hopefully, Campbell’s wife gets homesick around the time Graves leaves Oregon. I have a feeling he could be the next great one if he’s coaching the right program.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

No issue with a woman head coach, but yeah...Bring Campbell back, with our NIL etc., has to be better than TCU.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Doesn't help that Pao Pao transferred to South Carolina, and has hit game-winners in big games for them.

• Thumbs Up 2

So,  Why did Pao Pao leave for S Carolina?  Money? Better team? Better Coach? Didn't like the rain? 

I can sure understand wanted to play for a Championship.

Are we not offering enough NIL to women's basketball perhaps?

Personally, after sitting court side for Sabrinas team and falling in love with women s basketball, I am very disappointed in 

these following yrs and watching our highly rated player leave and out team suck.

On 12/12/2023 at 1:58 PM, JDuck said:

Bring Campbell back,

I just looked up the 2020-2021 WBB roster.  Players on that team that have since transferred include Taylor Chavez, Jaz Shelley, Taylor Mikesell, Angela Dugalic, Kylee Watson, Maddie Scherr, Sydney Parrish, Sedona Prince and TeHina Paopao. Every single player who was not a senior left. Endiya Rogers transferred in the next year but has also since transferred out.  All of these players went to very good programs and have played very well, with the exception of Chavez -- and Dugalic who has been injured but has started all 7 games for #2 UCLA this year and is playing well.  That is two full starting fives which would both certainly destroy this year's team.  Only Mikesell has used up her eligibility.

I believe the grand exodus started immediately after Mark Campbell took the job at Sacramento State.  I don't know why they all left, but it sure doesn't look to me like Graves is doing a good job.  I don't know what's going on, but from my vantage point a few hundred miles away, I'm very concerned. I'd sure like to see Graves be retired and Campbell hired.

Right now it looks like we will get boat raced by almost all the PAC-12 teams this year...

Edited by Cacker Guy
  • Thumbs Up 2

Covid came and Sabrina graduated.....   Those both were major changes.

I am not sure if the issues since are coach related or other, it is almost embarrassing I am sure.   

Curious how Taylor Chavez, the one exception, played so well with Sabrina and not post.

I do remember she left for AZ St the next season, beginning of the exodus.

On 12/13/2023 at 3:21 PM, Jemangi said:

Covid came and Sabrina graduated.....   Those both were major changes.

I am not sure if the issues since are coach related or other, it is almost embarrassing I am sure.   

I mean everyone dealt with Covid, and yes Sabrina was a GOAT, but he's had a ton of talent and just has squandered it with teams that don't seem to play hard and don't seem to really care about winning.  The culture has been bad since the Sabrina years, and yes players can dictate a lot about how a culture develops in a program, but ultimately it's the coach that has to establish the expectations of what is acceptable.  Just doesn't seem to be a team that understand how to work or compete.

If the team has as bad of a conference season as I think they're going to have I wouldn't be surprised to see Graves not survive the season.

• Like 1

This will be a contrarian view. (At least I hope so!) I think Sedona added a "me-first" element to the team that Kelly didn't know how to assimilate. It's telling that Sabrina's employment with the Ducks was announced within days of Sedona's departure. (Look it up.)

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Sabrina used her talent and determination to better her (and her teammates') lot by working within the (admittedly failed) system. Sedona called it out, in no uncertain terms! (And good for her.)

These are two VERY different cultural positions -- and we can say, at least for WBB in the 21st century, they are worlds apart. I add this to the mix only to suggest that Kelly Graves may have had the fortune/misfortune or coaching the ultimate retro WBB player in Sabrina and the cutting edge of forward progress in Sedona simultaneously. 

Edited by dksez

All the Oregon out transfers in the last 2 years indicate a serious head coach liability. 

On 12/13/2023 at 6:18 PM, dksez said:

It's telling that Sabrina's employment with the Ducks was announced within days of Sedona's departure

I tried looking it up but didn’t find anything about Sabrina working for OBD.

GODUCKS.COM

PRONUNCIATION - Sabrina Yo-NESS-Coo Oregon legend Sabrina Ionescu will join head women’s basketball

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/13/2023 at 6:18 PM, dksez said:

This will be a contrarian view. (At least I hope so!) I think Sedona added a "me-first" element to the team that Kelly didn't know how to assimilate. It's telling that Sabrina's employment with the Ducks was announced within days of Sedona's departure. (Look it up.)

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Sabrina used her talent and determination to better her (and her teammates') lot by working within the (admittedly failed) system. Sedona called it out, in no uncertain terms! (And good for her.)

These are two VERY different cultural positions -- and we can say, at least for WBB in the 21st century, they are worlds apart. I add this to the mix only to suggest that Kelly Graves may have had the fortune/misfortune or coaching the ultimate retro WBB player in Sabrina and the cutting edge of forward progress in Sedona simultaneously. 

Sedona was the one transfer I was pretty okay with, I think she has always had a little me-first attitude, I think her calling out the stuff at the tournament was good, she totally got screwed by the NCAA when it came to the medical stuff while at Texas, but I never felt like she worked very hard or played with any authority.

It could be that her injury made her hesitant, but it always seemed like the only thing that she was interested in was shooting 10-15 ft jumpers from the baseline and posting on her tic-tok.  Didn't seem very interested in going for rebounds or banging in the middle with what was usually a height advantage.  It's why I loved and still love watching Kyei play instead of her.  

Ugh, I need to stop thinking about this team...it just makes me frustrated to see what's become of it!

• Thumbs Up 2

My wife and I were at every home game and quite a few away games during Sabrina’s years with the Ducks. I remember stretches of many of those games where I’d hone in on Graves, and just watch for his ‘live’ coaching style. After a while I just gave up because I couldn’t tell the difference between him and some fan who was fast asleep.

At the time, it was easy to write that off to leaving well enough alone with a field general directing the emergence of the most exciting and successful team in women’s basketball, UConn included. Besides, not every coach pounds the line like Dana.

Success breeds fan patience. Like many others, I was more than willing to cut the guy a lot of slack, and wait for the time when a Sabrina-less Kelly would finally put on display those coaching chops developed at St Mary’s and Gonzaga.

I’m no judge of women’s basketball coaches, but as far as I can tell, it hasn’t happened. He’s still asleep.

On 12/17/2023 at 12:13 AM, Washington Waddler said:

I just gave up because I couldn’t tell the difference between him and some fan who was fast asleep.

Exactly this!

Compare him to Mulkey—it’s not good.