DrJacksPlaidPants

How to Cook a Steak: I’m Disappointed in Dan Lanning

On 12/23/2023 at 2:59 PM, CalBear95 said:

Wanted to pull this out to expand on thoughts.

If you hang with foodies they will say sous vide is played out and...that's true in terms of the pros.  Everyone was using sous vide on everything and it got a bit overkill.

But it isn't any less magical for us home chefs with the 'pick the temp and nail it' goodness.

Fish? Check.  Pork? Yessir.  Even custards and duck confit.  Never overcook again and tackle things that are really hard to get right from a temperature standpoint.  And it still renders fat which is a huge deal.

As I mentioned in another thread, the only issue w/sous vide for anything that requires a good searing is the water content the process imparts to the meat.  Even if you dry off the steak post water bath, there is still a bit of moisture on the surface and that causes the pan to lose heat when boiling it off.  That loss of heat slows the onset of the Maillard reaction ever so much causing it to kick in at a slightly non-optimal temp. 

Reverse searing offers the same temp control but better browning as there is no moisture on the outside steak's surface. 

The downside of reverse searing is the timing and that isn't an immaterial concern.  It isn't an exact cook time making it hard to land any other dishes concurrently with your steak.  Sous vide, OTOH, has a very definite, chef defined end time which allows for easy side dish coordination. 

Ultimately, I find it comes down to what you are willing to trade-off (timing and managing a full 3+ dish mean is probably the hardest thing to do especially if you are the only one cooking as everything tends to culminate at the same time).

If you do try the reverse sear, I would definitely suggest a Bluetooth thermometer like the Meater which helps reduce some of the ambiguity around the cook time. 

But given the choice between cooking in a pan or on a grill end to end, I'll definitely take sous vide.

Ok... Bucket list check off: Cordon Blue cooking lesson... check. 

I actually do this for a living, owner and chef of a restaurant in Montana.

IMG_20190429_103919_256.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

My idea of decadence is two Snake River Waygu rib steaks. A bit of Maldon Salt and then pan sear for two minutes a side and then into an oven set at 425 for 5-7 minutes depending on the thickness of the cut. Now to rest about 6 minutes under cover with a big pat of Tillamook Extra Creamy Butter. Serve with my made from scratch Caesar Salad including homemade croutons, rice pilaf and a nice bottle of Lavinea (Willamette Valley) Pinot Noir from the Elton Vineyard. This is coming up next week.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/24/2023 at 12:32 PM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

My idea of decadence is two Snake River Waygu rib steaks. A bit of Maldon Salt and then pan sear for two minutes a side and then into an oven set at 425 for 5-7 minutes depending on the thickness of the cut. Now to rest about 6 minutes under cover with a big pat of Tillamook Extra Creamy Butter. Serve with my made from scratch Caesar Salad including homemade croutons, rice pilaf and a nice bottle of Lavinea (Willamette Valley) Pinot Noir from the Elton Vineyard. This is coming up next week.

You are killing me!

I need to plan a visit to Santa Rosa, Montana,....

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

This thread inspired us to get a 1-lb NY Strip from our Farmers Market. 

Gonna age that sucker w Maldon’s and pepper in the fridge for a couple days.

😋

• Thumbs Up 1

Call me wacky but I think people should cook food however they feel like.  It's not an orthodox religion.  It is food to your taste,

• Applause 1

Just so we all agree that a steak shouldn’t be cooked well done. It should merely be walked through a warm room.

• Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The perfect way to cook any steak, is  in the eye of the beholder. 

Because if that's the way you like it.

Then its perfect.

• Thumbs Up 1