RichardDuck

Hawaii Game In Doubt?

The UH athletic director has doubts about the scheduled Aug. 24 season opener with Oregon.

WWW.CIVILBEAT.ORG

UH's lack of the big revenue seen by other college athletic programs is hampering its ability to compete, especially in the high-finance sport of football.

• Yikes! 1

That would suck. I was planning a little Hawaii time culminating in attending this game. I can still vacation if the game doesn't happen. Go Ducks!

We too were hoping to travel to Hawaii for the game. It is a week after our 44 anniversary. We have visited 49 states with only Hawaii remaining on the bucket list. My sister is my seat buddy at Autzen, she wants to go and her daughter is in real estate on the island. We are hoping she has contacts to get tickets. 

I googled UH and it appears that there is room to add additional bleachers around the field. If they can squeeze in another 10,000 seats at $50 each that would be a cool half million dollars in their coffers. How many Duck fans want to invade paradise? Let's GO.

• Applause 1

Given their stadium situation, I wonder if Hawaii would be willing to play the game in Autzen in exchange for $$$.

OMIGOSH!

"Hawaii’s media rights were worth just $2.3 million in 2021, according to a report filed with the NCAA."

Wow.  That is Mountain West pull is all...whew!

Oregon Ducks football vs. Hawaii: Live updates, photos

Mr. FishDuck

What about the game vs. UCLA the following week? Is it on? 

Cynic alert. This sounds like a veiled plea for money. I can't imagine (well, maybe I can?) Rob not building in a cancellation payment for a cancellation with so little notice. Before they became B1G buddies, Ohio State paid UW $500K to cancel an H+H series. This left an opening for UW to schedule the court-chicanery Cougars. 

Unless UH decides to go the way of U Chicago, I wouldn't cancel any travel plans. Not too long ago UH played in the Sugar Bowl behind current HC, OB Timmy Chang. Chang is in the bottom rung of G5/P4 HC salaries at $600,006.00 a year. 

Oregon ‘in conversations’ with Hawaii to reschedule 2024 football season opener

Oregon may not play 13 regular season games in 2024 after all.

The Ducks are scheduled to open the 2024 football season at Hawaii on August 24. However, UH athletic director Craig Angelos said the game is “in doubt right now because of this conference realignment,” according to a report by Honolulu Civil Beat, and the sides are discussing a new date for the game.

“We have had an ongoing dialogue with Hawaii that began when we were examining ways to continue to play Oregon State, similar to discussions we were having with Boise State and Texas Tech,” a UO athletics spokesperson told The Oregonian/OregonLive.

“We are still in conversations with Hawaii in an attempt to find a new date for the scheduled game in 2024.”

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

It’s not immediately clear when the sides could reschedule the game, but doing so in 2024 appears at least impractical, if not...

OAC strikes again.  By all means please continue to feel sorry for them.

When are we going to grow up?  We do not stand a chance in another conference with this lack of testosterone on the admin and fan level.

Pay OAC the out fee and be rid of them.  Now, please.

On 12/26/2023 at 10:05 AM, OregonDucks said:

Given their stadium situation, I wonder if Hawaii would be willing to play the game in Autzen in exchange for $$$.

Not possible, has to be in Hawaii to have a 13th game exemption 

• Thumbs Up 2

Keeping the bye weeks is more important for us.  

On 12/28/2023 at 4:22 PM, JDuck said:

Cancel and play 12 games, no problem. This is the year, 1 out of 5, where all teams have 2 idle weeks. Cancellation of the Hawaii game will not affect the 2024 scheduled off weeks.  One very early and one very late.  

Not playing Hawaii will have little impact on 2024 SOS. Playing in Corvallis instead of playing P4 Texas Tech in Autzen will affect the SOS.

Edited by Jon Joseph

I mean in terms of rescheduling...more important to keep the bye's then having a game 13.  The $$ is not important for us.

With the CFB Playoffs expanding to twelve teams, OBD should not play thirteen regular season games in 2024. Oregon's goal is to play in the B1G Championship game and then in the expanded playoffs. It will be difficult to stay healthy for those late season games even without the extra game in Hawaii.

Having an experienced QB in Gabriel, is another reason why OBD should only play three non conference games in 2024. If OBD was starting a young QB then it could be argued that the risks of an extra game could be offset by the game experience that the young QB would gain by playing. 

Considering the late season goals of OBD, I have been worried about the short and long term additional injury risks associated with playing the game in Hawaii. I will be pleased if the game is removed from OBD 2024 schedule. I do feel bad for the Duck fans that have been planning on attending the game.

Just a guess, Hawaii is a great game for donors to go have fun

• Thumbs Up 1

Dillion Gabriel was looking forward to playing a game in his native Hawaii, so I hope they can figure it out. However, I agree with others - Oregon should not give up its bye week. 

On 12/28/2023 at 7:21 PM, OregonDucks said:

Dillion Gabriel was looking forward to playing a game in his native Hawaii, so I hope they can figure it out. However, I agree with others - Oregon should not give up its bye week. 

Cancel the game and the 2 Off Weeks Do Not Change in 2024, a season where all G5/P4 schools have 2 Off Weeks. If the HA. series is canceled or moved to later years, Oregon would play 3 games, Idaho, Boise and OR ST in Corvallis. and not 4 games before the 1st Off Week, 9/21, the week before the first B1G game at UCLA. Beginning with UCLA, Oregon plays 8 straight weeks before being Off on 11/23 prior to the UW game. UW is also Off on 11/23.

The way the calendar falls under the current scheduling format teams have 2 Off Weeks once every 5 seasons. This is one of the seasons.

"Bye" is fine with me but these are not true Byes, they are Off Weeks. The 2024 top 4 seeded teams will have first round Byes, meeting the winners of the 4 first round games in the 2nd round.

I apologize for the semantics. 

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 12/28/2023 at 12:52 PM, DC Featherbutt said:

We do not stand a chance in another conference with this lack of testosterone on the admin and fan level.

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/28/2023 at 4:22 PM, JDuck said:

Paly Hawaii or don't play Hawaii the 2024 Off Weeks remain the same.

• Applause 1

On 12/29/2023 at 10:08 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Paly Hawaii or don't play Hawaii the 2024 Off Weeks remain the same.

I read they were considering changing the date to accommodate UH stadium situation, which would mean losing one of our bye weeks...August 24th is it or we lose a bye week, so I'm just saying if UH can't handle that date, don't play them.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/29/2023 at 2:42 PM, JDuck said:

I read they were considering changing the date to accommodate UH stadium situation, which would mean losing one of our bye weeks...August 24th is it or we lose a bye week, so I'm just saying if UH can't handle that date, don't play them.

This would be INSANE! But surprising?

On 12/29/2023 at 11:42 AM, JDuck said:

This is what I was referring to as well. 

If the Hawaii game were moved to 9/21 then Oregon would have to play 11 straight weeks and if it were moved to 11/23 then Oregon would have 10+ straight games, depending on the conference championship and post season, assuming that my math is correct. 

That is an insane number of consecutive weeks to go without a break (whatever you want to call it). The athletes need a break to recover from this physically demanding game. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

The last time Oregon went to Hawaii was 1994 and while that ended up being a memorable season the Hawaii game was pretty much a disaster.

(Going off memory) the game was televised on one of the oddball cable networks of the time; and, as the "last game of the night" sort of thing, kicked off at 8pm in Hawaii and 10pm on the West Coast (back then, any TV game was a good TV for the Ducks).

The eventual Pac-10 champion Ducks lost 36-16 to a Hawaii team with a QB starting his first career game (Glenn Freitas).

Oregon would go on to the Rose Bowl and Hawaii would go on to only win two more games the rest of the year (finishing 3-8-1).

I remember the game not only for being miserable for Duck fans; but, also because it drug on for over four hours to about 2:00 am (as the Ducks had I believe two separate players carted off the field -- and I think lost for the season).

Just a long ugly game, and, along with the loss the next week at home (34-16) to a Utah team (who of all things, ran a fake FG in for a TD) left most Oregon fans feeling like a season that started with a lot of optimism, was close to possible collapse.

With the expanded playoffs and opening B10 season, I agree I don't see a bunch of benefit to playing an extra game. Beating Hawaii won't really move the needle anyway I can see and I believe Oregon would still have Idaho to open up with. It seems like a sort of "no win" game (as well as extra travel for a season that is going to rack up a lot of miles).

Found this little 1994 Oregon/Hawaii gem on YouTube:

Edited by AnotherOD

Oregon cancels Hawaii Game, Per report

The Oregon Ducks have canceled their football game against the Hawaii Rainbow Warriors in 2024, according to a report from Brett McMurphy of Action Network...

FBSCHEDULES.COM

The Oregon Ducks have canceled their football game against the Hawaii Rainbow Warriors in 2024, according to a report from...

On 1/8/2024 at 2:27 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Oregon cancels Hawaii Game, Per report

The Oregon Ducks have canceled their football game against the Hawaii Rainbow Warriors in 2024, according to a report from Brett McMurphy of Action Network...

FBSCHEDULES.COM

The Oregon Ducks have canceled their football game against the Hawaii Rainbow Warriors in 2024, according to a report from...

3 games then off. 8 games then off. Far from ideal. (Malachi Nelson will be Boise's QB.)