Ktmguy2018

A Final (Maybe) Thought on Mari-Nooooooo

I know, I know, it's been two years and clearly the Ducks have come out on top of that whole situation; NOT EVEN CLOSE.  There is a part of me that just can't stop watching the drama down in the south of Florida.  I happened to watch a portion of his press conference and then read the transcript. I was struck by two things.

1.  I think Mario has a wheel that he spins prior to the press conference to determine his talking points.  Prior to facing the media, he gives it a spin and sees what he needs to reference..."hmmm, physicality?  Always!  Focus?  Nope used that one last week.  Let's go with "Discipline" this week.  Maybe I'll sprinkle in some toughness talk and mention that coaches need to do better and that should about cover it".

This guys press conferences all have the same feel.  It's a canned, non-feeling response devoid of personal accountability.  I know that "coach speak" is part of all press conferences but there has to be passion infused into those pressers or it just comes off as blaming the players.

2.  I think press conferences for him would be the same no matter what level he was coaching at. 

*Press conference for the 4th grade Pop Warner championship*

"Mr. Cristobal, what do you think you could have done differently?"

Mario:  "Well, I thought we practiced well this week.  It comes down to physicality, we let them push us around.  We need to be more physical.  Our guard has a nose-picking problem and was slow off the ball.  Our center had to go potty during the game and it really affected the next several possessions.  We just can't have that.  We need to prepare better.  I thought the defense played pretty well, our CB got distracted by a bee on the long pass play and that hurt us."

"We really worked on focus this week in practice and it needs to show up on the field.  After halftime, we made some adjustments but the players didn't get enough orange slices and they came out lethargic.  That's not how we coach em.   It really hurt when the Mike got an owie.  His mom didn't have all the bandaids she needed and that pretty much took him out of the game.  It's inexcusable for any player to be more interested in Pokemon than football but that was what we were up against today.  Next year will be different."

• Haha 11
  • Applause 1

Why? Why do we enjoy the misery of Cristobal?

giphy.gif

I will NEVER be Noble...

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Mario is the cult of physicality.

• Haha 1

I’ll be reading this stuff while nodding my head with a grin till my last breath.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/31/2023 at 12:42 PM, Just Ducky said:

till my last breath.

Not to wish ill on anyone, I prefer his.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm just so nice that Miami got the coach that they so desperately wanted... and felt like they stole from us. 

It's also nice that Mario got what he so desperately wanted... to coach Miami.

Nice is just so dog-gone nice. 'It's nice to be nice to the nice.'

• Haha 3

I only follow them until they get fired from their first job. Then it’s no fun anymore (see Taggart). However, I didn’t have a negative attitude towards Chip personally. I wanted him to fail miserably, but I didn’t want him to fail because he left Oregon. I wanted him to fail because he was coaching the Eagles.

• Haha 1

I remember early on as head coach at Oregon that Cristobal at le as st felt more open to the press. He would talk about injuries more openly and the interviews were worth listening to. 

He became more cagy when he was losing more. Amazing how much Herbert covered for him and made his life easier. Losing has made him far more difficult to listen to. 

But then again winning is always a better place to be than losing. I suppose Cristobal could make his life easier if he would just win more games but to do that he'd need to get out of his own way. 

• Thumbs Up 1