FishDuck Article

Oregon Is Going to Be Old in ’24

2023 saw one of the most experienced Oregon teams in memory playing high-level football from the start of the season until the very end. But with some recent announcements, 2024 looks to see an even more experienced group. The Stud Linebacker Jeffery Bassa announced his return to Eugene, in a move that was only a little surprising. Bassa has turned his ...

FISHDUCK.COM

2023 saw one of the most experienced Oregon teams in memory playing high-level football from the start of the season until the very end. But...
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Like 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Fun read Ryan, very creative and well thought out.

Each player certainly can raise their draft stock (worth millions, potentially) bank their NIL money while providing valuable experience and leadership.

Hopefully a few more veterans decide to stay. Their experience could be the difference in needed victories at home against tOSU and huskies. Along with key BIG road game victories!

Hopefully DG, with all his experiemce will stay in the pocket long enough to let the play unfold. Bo was very patient and it paid off.

2024 should be a BIG year......

Go Ducks..........

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

A delightful read.  Many thanks, Ryan.  I am particularly fond of your last sentence.  "As everyone knows, with age comes experience, and with experience comes better play on the football field."  I shall be guided by this truth.  Since I'm older than Burma Shave, I would make a terrific db!  

• Haha 2

I think of all the great recruits of the last two years, and think of the Ducks with lots of young talent. But among the starters?  TONS of experience in the entire offense, and on defense we have both inside linebackers, and now with three of five DBs filled with experience.

At the moment, we will have some new starters on the defensive line, but we don’t know the extent until the portal transfers are fully known.  We have an abundance of young talent on the defensive line, but not a lot of experience yet.

That is only real area of youth on the team, IMHO.  Overall, Ryan, you quite right, even if with some tongue-in-cheek.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Thanks, Ryan, good and fun stuff. 

In terms of experience playing together which is key, I would add the OL to the list of guys who were questioned before the 2023 season but return a ton of experience in 2024. I was very encouraged by how Poncho stepped up at center in the Fiesta Bowl in the absence of the Rimington Trophy winner. Questions were answered in the affirmative for the OL in 2023 and heading into 2024.

I think Charles's comment nails it. The question in 2024 switches to the DL where a lot of experience was lost. Dan Lanning (DL!)  is working hard to develop a UGA-like D Line but he isn't there yet. Will the stud frosh recruits coming in on the DL be able to contribute in 2024? As Charles notes, there is still a chance for Dan to bring DL experience in from the portal. The portal opens up again from April 15 to 30 after spring ball. More attractive DL guys could enter the portal at this time.

One place where I will demur is the idea that the LOS will be much harder across the board in the B1G. I don't see it. Michigan is losing a ton of experienced guys on the defense side of the ball and is likely going to lose its HC. The vaunted Penn State D and DL was toyed with by Ole Miss in the Peach Bowl. The vaunted Iowa DL, which held down the Michigan O in the B1G champ game, was blown up by Tenessee playing behind a true frosh starting his first game at QB. The one D other than Michigan that played well in its bowl was the tOSU D and DL in the Cotton Bowl. tOSU sack leader Jack Sawyer is returning but the Buckeyes lose a lot of experience on the back end of the D. 

I believe the B1G in 2024 will be no tougher than the Pac-12 in 2023. 

Thanks again, fun take.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Wow 1
  • Applause 2

Impact of mature players?  Here is a column on how UW has been helped this season, the so-called Natty 9:

https://www.si.com/college/washington/football/huskies-natty-9-provides-roster-backbone-for-cfp-title-run

I think the COVID year for additional experience, and players like Nix who stuck around, created a situation this year that probably offset some advantages the SEC has had in the past.  We may never see a "maturity season" again like this one.

• Thumbs Up 3

Good Post.  Fun Read.  I certainly could relate to the "old" references sprinkled throughout.

I had reasonable concerns about replacing a most tenured OL coming into the start of last season because of experience, not physical ability.  Whatever coaching took place obviously made up for lack of experience, with sound fundamentals and full understanding of individual responsibilities, plus a OL senior leader at center.  So hardly a beat was missed in the transition.

I expect the same, and then some, on the defensive side of the ball next year.  On field defensive Leadership is not an issue, at all three defensive levels.  Combine this with the DL defensive players that he has worked hard recruiting and "portalling" to Eugene, I only see our defense being even better(championship better?), even with an escalation in "trench warfare", moving into the B1G.

I believe in 2024 we will finally see a more "complete" program vision that our young, defensive minded, coach is crafting in his championship football vision.  One where the mantra of Next Man Up is an expectation and not just a saying.  From here the view of that vision is looking extremely promising.  Go! Quackers!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Good article Ryan, you bring up some very good and valid points.   In 2024, experience will be a strength fo OBD!

Although, thinking about the relative age of the “old” Ducks you referenced made this graybeard feel positively ancient!

• Go Ducks! 1

Good article.

As Charles mentioned in regard to ILBs, Jacobs being back can't be understated either. 

I'm just looking forward to Oregon not having a Penix problem next year.