Charles Fischer

Mr. FishDuck is Changing Locations, and Moving Forward

Hello My FishDuck Friends,

As I've made reference to a few times recently--I am now officially divorced after 43 years.  This has been a very amicable parting, as I believe both of us are good people who simply want to move on in our final years without each other.  In fact we have been living as "tolerant roommates" through the divorce, and through the house sale--as we have been for years.

Considering the divorce horror stories from so many Duck-Buddies...I am very fortunate, as we had a very fair distribution of assets, and we are able to get things done in normal speaking tones. I truly wish her well, and will stay in touch, I'm sure.  I will remain in the Eugene-Springfield area to remain close to my daughter, and of course, Our Beloved Ducks.

We have accepted an offer on our house, and close on February 20th, assuming the inspections go as usual.  (I do not anticipate any issues)  Thus I will be a busy-boy finding an interim place to live, and taking the time needed to go through, move, and store the stuff of 43 years.  We have always been fairly lean, so it should not be too bad.

I will not make any permanent living decisions for quite a while--as to own, rent, etc.  For now I will go into a temporary rental of some type, (once I find it) and then take my time checking out all the interesting living options in the community.

I am counting my blessings that we are completing this now, and especially after football season!  I won't lose any digital copies of the games as a result, and the expected problems with my fragile electronic equipment can be dealt with due to having two months to work with before the Spring Game.

I will be beginning my Planned Giving Workshops again this spring with churches and non-profits, showing people how to leave a gift after their passing that when designed correctly--can really help retired people live better in retirement while leaving a Planned Gift.  I've set up millions of dollars in Planned Gifts over the years, and look forward to making an impact in the community over the next decade.

And I will be here in the OBD forum with all of you for my all-consuming passion, Our Beloved Ducks.  We have great times ahead as Duck fans, and my commitment to this forum and FishDuck.com remains unwavering.

Boy, I am going to miss my Oregon Football ManCave, but yet...never-say-never.

ManCave 1_FishDuck Photo.jpg

If any of you have advice on anything concerning my upcoming journey,

do email me as I welcome all feedback.  charles@fishduck.com

• Salute 4
  • Wow 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 5

Mr. FishDuck

Charles, I went through a divorce from a wonderful and talented woman some 35+ years ago. We just grew apart and, thankfully, had no children to complicate matters. We remained friends, babysat each others' dogs for many years, and drifted apart once she'd gone into academic administration and landed high powered jobs elsewhere.

She is a University President today and is busy as hell, so we don't have much direct contact any more. Maybe that will change a bit as she is 10 years my junior and is creeping up on retirement age.

All this is, of course, tangential to your case, but I just want to add that, though things may be a bit (or a lot) unsettled at this juncture, it will all even out over time. And the great work you do on the forum will keep you focused on OBD and help to retain some consistency and sanity in the months ahead.

Best of luck my friend. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Charles, best wishes always, but especially during a stressful relocation (as they all are).  Changing one's life and habits after many decades is a challenge for the best of us.  But it sounds like you have exactly the right attitude and emotions going forward with your divorce.  ("Divorce" has been a four-letter word in the past for me.  😬)

I don't know if you'll find sanity in these pages ... but we try!

Anytime you need us, sir.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

You know how to find me, friend. Maybe I will find some people in Mayberry who want a planned giving workshop and will pay your expenses to come. That is once I find Mayberry. Always our best, Fishy.

My condolences, Mr FD.  Best of Luck to you!

Best of luck to you Charles. Rent yourself a very nice place in a very nice neighborhood. Now you may not be ready for this advice. Find a high end gym close to your residence. You will find that as a single mature male, the actuarial tables are in your favor and you will be very much in demand.

• Thanks 1

Wishing you the very best and a soft lanning er... landing!  🦆🏆

• Haha 1