DrJacksPlaidPants

National Championship Game Discussion Thread

Just in case anybody wants to talk about the game. 

McAfee picked the fuskies and Corso picked the Wolverines, so it’s a wash on which team is cursed.

Who was the big guy who wasn’t dressed w the UW captains?

Wow, Surprised UW run defense was so bad on the opening drive. Michigan up 7-0. GO Michigan, destroy those darn Huskies

Edited by JB89

Dboer makes the first mistake by not taking the ball. Hard to root for either in my small mind.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/8/2024 at 4:57 PM, Just Ducky said:

Dboer makes the first mistake by not taking the ball. Hard to root for either in my small mind.

Not rooting for either team. Strongly rooting against the Huskies.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like Michigan is content to let them have the short completions.

• Applause 1

Huskies rush defense has been mediocre overall during the season, they're going to have problems with Michigan's offense all night.

• Thumbs Up 1

Think Penix will throw at least 40 times and take their chances.

Die dawgs.

Luck runs out tonight, I have no idea how they went undefeated with this D.

• Thumbs Up 2

Nice hold downfield by the TE.

No breaks for the Fuskies.  Gonna have to bust some noses to get hands off their shoulder pads

Come on doggies, if you need 5 yards run a five yard rout.

Washington has already given up well more than their season average of rushing YPG which is 137.

On 1/8/2024 at 8:23 PM, Mike West said:

Nice hold downfield by the TE.

No breaks for the Fuskies.  Gonna have to bust some noses to get hands off their shoulder pads

I noticed they’ve been letting it go on both sides.

Washington getting out coached and they look twice as slow.  Dboer may not be as brilliant as everyone thought.  Looking like a blowout unless something happens quick.

On 1/8/2024 at 5:22 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Die dawgs.

Luck runs out tonight, I have no idea how they went undefeated with this D.

Nobody goes 7,8,9 on the LOS like my Michigan.

On 1/8/2024 at 4:46 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

Who was the big guy who wasn’t dressed w the UW captains?

Steve Emtman 1991 D line, team that shared Nattie. Was first pick NFL in 92. Blew out one knee first year. Blew out other knee second year. 

• Thanks 1

Best offensive line in the country?

Dang, wide open, how did Penix miss that. 

On 1/8/2024 at 8:37 PM, Red Eddy Green said:

Steve Emtman 1991 D line, team that shared Nattie. Was first pick NFL in 92. Blew out one knee first year. Blew out other knee second year. 

He was building homes in Spokane when I used to live there. 

On 1/8/2024 at 5:42 PM, candyduck said:

Best offensive line in the country?

Let's see what they do one on one.  Haven't seen them control the LOS without double teams. 

Penix looks like he’s never played football before. 😂

This game was over when Dboer deferred.

Look at THAT hold...

Yeah, both ways

there are some penalties you have to call. That hold was too obvious and it sprang the guy for a 15 yard gain.

Yep,

UM is shooting for double teams at the point of attack.  Nice close by the safety, too bad he got injured.  

I see  countering that strategy coming.  

Look for Michigan to set up play action from this attack strategy. 

And the PAC12 has the NERVE to post a conference of champions ad.  Going down the pipe this year.

Ugh.

If Michigan is going to go for it on 4th and 3, why throw the ball when you are gashing the UW defense with the run?

Edited by OregonDucks

How do you not call that? How?

We got a ball game going now. UW getting some stops now and that ugly blue team up north can't cover the doggie receivers without penalties.

Total domination from Michigan and only a 7 point lead. I dont think Wash. can play worse.

Dillon needs to sit in the second half, he really looks hurt

The mutts took a quarter off. That generally doesn't work out well.

On 1/8/2024 at 5:56 PM, Just Ducky said:

This game was over when Dboer deferred.

Straight from the MH school of coaching.  Now the huskies get the ball to start the second half with a chance to tie.  Please tell me a winning coach who doesn't defer?

Statistics show you usually steal a possession by defering.

Edited by candyduck

Typical WA. Would not be surprized to see them get the lead at some point in the 2nd half.

• Haha 1

Michigan screwed themselves by not making Washington pay for their missed 4th down. I didn’t hate Michigan going for it on 4th down because a punt in the end zone wouldn’t have netted them much. I also thought Washington was due for a TD drive. However, I thought the Michigan pass was a bad play call.

DL all in on Oregon with his pendant at half time.

Fuskies aren’t going to make it if they give up another 200 rushing yards in the 2nd half.

On 1/8/2024 at 9:16 PM, TerryM9 said:

Total domination from Michigan and only a 7 point lead. I dont think Wash. can play worse.

they started the half dominating, but didn't finish the half dominating. Pups found a way to get off the field and get the ball to the offense. Michigan can't cover the Washington receivers. If Penix can get them the ball now, this is a contest. I think UW is going to win this.

On 1/8/2024 at 6:16 PM, TerryM9 said:

Total numbers advantage finally neutralized.  Good adjustment using the safety to close gaps.  

Same philosophy David Shaw used on Chip Kelly to ruin TWO Natty berths.  If you can't beat em, outflank  them. 

They couldn't do it to tOSU this fall, but they sure did enough to Penn State (because Manny Diaz refused to adjust early). 

Take away those two LOS double teams and you take away the advantage.  Now Michigan has to sprinkle more play action on early downs to suck those LBs in.

I think they go back to their 1Q attack to see if it works, then proceed accordingly. 

Fortunately for the Wolverines they have a QB that can do damage, come back if need be, or take over 

Washington got out of rhythm with early LOS control from UM.  They finally settled down and got down to business.  

I think UW needs to run Frosh Rodgers in the 2H as much as key back Johnson.  Their OL is creating enough space to exploit with more "speed" from a healthy Rogers).  I think the 2yds per carry is because Johnson is running on one leg. 

Key opening series for UM.  They'll need to dual up some pressure in Penix because UW has unlocked UM's puzzle.  

This game is going as I expected.  Good coaching early, as good adjustments in the 2Q.  

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hope we don't lose Lanning to ESPN, he's having to much fun.

• Oh no! 1

I LOVE DL on the halftime commentary.

Unpopular take: DL’s pencil-thin/Erol Flynn mustache has got to go.

• Haha 1

Washington will probably go up-tempo the rest of the game. It’s their only chance to keep fresh Michigan D-Lineman off the field. Michigan just needs to keep everything in front of them like they did the first quarter. That last drive showed them that they can’t play man.

Michigan’s offense hasn’t moved the ball the last 4 drives. McCarthy can’t throw and the Fuskies have figured out a way to stop their running game. This doesn’t bode well for Big Blue.

But we know who the refs are giving the advantage to.  Can't cover the WR, hold him along the sidelines.  You'll get a free pass.  

Not pleased...

Guess if you can’t cover Hold. Michigan defenders getting away with a lot of holding.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Ducks could have easily beaten the Mutts if they were aloud to hold there receives every play.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was literally typing mid sentence that JJ should pull the ball and run then he does it.

I think Penix ties it up right here.

Watching this makes me think that the Duck future in the big ten is bright!

• Applause 1

On 1/8/2024 at 10:38 PM, Jemangi said:

Watching this makes me think that the Duck future in the big ten is bright!

It’s actually reminding me of Oregon/Auburn 2010.

• Thumbs Up 1