Jon Joseph

2024 It's Going to be B1G - Including B1G Broadcasts

The following are the B1G broadcast partners beginning in 2024 through 2030. Fox, FS1 (Fox Sports 1,) CBS, NBC, NBC streaming service, Peacock, and the Big10 Network (BTN.)

Pacific Broadcast times for a B1G 'usual broadcast' on Saturday will be:

Fox B1G Noon Game - 9 AM Pacific - Pregame coverage begins on Fox at 7 AM.

CBS - 12:30

NBC - 4:30 

And I expect that a late game, 7:30 Pacific will be the norm with the broadcasts sorted out between the above-identified broadcast entities. 

Fox networks will show at least 9 Friday Night games. For an undisclosed reason, Michigan and Penn State do not host Friday Night games. 

Peacock will stream 9 games. 

Labor Day weekend will feature a B1G broadcast on Thursday, Friday, and Sunday nights, in addition to a full slate of Saturday games. 

I recommend that OBD forum members sign up on BTN. Fantastic coverage of the B1G Conference with in-depth coverage of the Pac-4, before the official sign-on date.

Get your popcorn and favorite IPAs ready!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Great info Jon!

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2024 at 2:55 PM, Jon Joseph said:

The following are the B1G broadcast partners beginning in 2024 through 2030. Fox, FS1 (Fox Sports 1,) CBS, NBC, NBC streaming service, Peacock, and the Big10 Network (BTN.)

Jon, FS2 would not be included in the line-up?  Glad I'm already getting BTN.  Thanks Jon.

Michigan and Penn State have long objected to Friday night home games due to (1) desire not to compete with Michigan and Pennsylvania high school games, (2) large stadium crowds which create community issues due to games after dark.  They have said they would be willing to play Friday day time, or Friday night road games, but desire to limit those as well.  Ohio State doesn't seem to have the same objections despite their large stadium.   Michigan did not have stadium lights until relatively recently.

The obvious question arises, well if they can refuse, why not other refusals?  The theory is that other schools won't refuse because they want the viewership that comes with a periodic Friday night game.

I believe part of the tradeoff to get approval for UO and UW was the sense that those additions would mean longer term Big Ten teams would then not have to host as many possible night games.  So, UO/UW were approved which will result in more night games for the two.  The Big Ten is trying to develop a schedule which will provide either a bye, or a home game, on the following weekend for any member who has to travel to the West Coast.

This link is a bit dated, but provides some more of the background.

WWW.NBCSPORTSCHICAGO.COM

The Big Ten’s decision to play some games is not going over super well with some folks, but it’s not just fans on Twitter who are upset with the conference’s choice to play six games featuring league...

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally, the 2 NW schools will be treated like red haired step childs until they appear in title games, win BIG Titles, make multiple CFP appearances and win a Natty 

Or really draw viewers.

The hierarchy pecking order, IMHO:

■ Michigan

■ tOSU

■ PSU

■ The Socal TV market

The networks will set up prime time games for usuck and uclasuck.

The Ducks and huskies will have to earn their stripes. We are nothing to them at this point 

Hopefully, the tOSU game will draw 10 million plus viewers and the Ducks win.

Then the Michigan game viewership could be off the charts.

Only viewers matter to the networks.

It's a new world and OBD's are positioned ro carve out their place in it.

Go Ducks......

• Go Ducks! 1

Ugh. I hate night games.

If a game starts here at 7:30 pm, it would be starting at 10:30 pm in Michigan, Michigan St. and parts East (Ohio State, Penn St., Rutgers, Maryland...), correct? I would think fans back there would not be happy about that, but who knows.

I don't know if anybody has heard or not, but it seems like B1G network is not available in Eugene on Xfinity, does anybody know if it's going to become available on cable?

On 1/17/2024 at 2:12 PM, spartan2785 said:

I don't know if anybody has heard or not, but it seems like B1G network is not available in Eugene on Xfinity, does anybody know if it's going to become available on cable?

I was wondering the same thing about Spectrum. I did a little research. But, could not come up with a definitive answer.

On 1/17/2024 at 2:26 PM, DUCati855 said:

I was wondering the same thing about Spectrum. I did a little research. But, could not come up with a definitive answer.

You would think it would be available by the start of the season next year, then again look at the Pac-12 network, we could have the reverse scenario happen where satellite has access but cable doesn't😅

• Oh no! 1

On 1/17/2024 at 2:12 PM, spartan2785 said:

I have Xfinity and I get the B1G Network. (It may have come with the sports package that was included with subscribing to TCM, but I'm not sure.)

Edited by Annie
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/17/2024 at 3:38 PM, Annie said:

I have Xfinity and I get the B1G Network. (It may have come with the sports package that was included with subscribing to TCM, but I'm not sure.)

I thought I had the right package, I guess I'll just have to call them and find out.

Are you in Eugene?

FS2? May be involved but no games as of now are scheduled.

I should have mentioned above. Fox is the majority shareholder of the BTN. A better 'fit' than the Pac-12 network that was on its own.

Spartan. No, I reside in Aiken, SC but when resident in Bend I was able to receive the ACC, B1G, and SEC networks vis Bend Broadbend.

On 1/17/2024 at 6:38 PM, Annie said:

All of the college networks are available on Xfinity/ Comcast.

I am in Eugene with Comcast, Xfinity.  I get B1G Network on channel 726.  Right now they are broadcasting Maryland at Northwestern basketball.

I'll just have to call them and see what I need to pay to get it added. I already get SEC, ACC, Pac-12, CBS Sports, Tennis, pretty much everything except B1G.  Thanks everyone.

The Big Ten Network is what the Pac Twelve Network wanted to be. Launching in 2007, it was seen as a big risk at the time. But they partnered with network executives with experience, but remained separate from ESPN, unlike the SEC, or ACC. Which I just see as ESPN subsidiaries.

The Pac Twelve took on the endeavor at total cost against it's operating revenue in an attempt to be completely it's own. But they forgot to get partnerships with cable or satellite companies. Something Jim Delaney did when he launched his Big Ten Network, he paid for his network with the money made from the deals, and advertisements through the network.

The networks major negative to most Big Ten oldies is the need for expansion. That's why Rutgers was added, to get into the New Jersey/New York market. Same with Maryland to the DC metro area. But outside of some pretty terrible football, Delaney made the Big Ten into an economic juggernaut. Kevin Warren continued that when he negotiated an NFL type deal before going to the Bears.

The Big Ten isn't at the SEC level yet as far as on field results.  Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon, and Washington have been. But realistically Washington doesn't have the talent level of those other three. But the Big Ten does outpace the SEC by a mile in just about every other aspect. Television markets, academic alliance, Olympic sports.

Just think about the fact that Oregon vs Ohio State in Eugene is a conference game this year. Sounds a little better than Oregon vs Stanford. How about USC vs Michigan, Washington vs Penn State. Those would have all been top ten matchups had they happened this past year. I'm sorry to the traditionalists, but I'm happy about the move.

Oregon is big time now. We don't need the talking heads to speak about it, it just is.

• Applause 1

On 1/17/2024 at 5:15 PM, spartan2785 said:

I thought I had the right package, I guess I'll just have to call them and find out.

Are you in Eugene?

Yes, I'm in Eugene.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's about time for a change.  I pay $100 / month for Fubo just so I can get PAC12 Net.  When March Madness comes around I miss most of it due to not having TNT, TBS, or TruTV.  For the NFL I get Redzone.  Now I'm looking into Hulu + Live TV.  Might do Sling to get through March Madness, but I'm not sure yet.  I hate dealing with this stuff.

This link has a good comparison.

WWW.CNET.COM

Explore the top channels on popular live TV streaming platforms with this practical guide.

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2024 at 6:38 PM, Annie said:

All of the college networks are available on Xfinity/ Comcast.

• Thumbs Up 1