NJDuck

Transfer Portal Winners and Losers:

The college football winter transfer portal window is closed, and it's time to find out which teams used it best to build up and which others have more work to do ahead.

In the last week, there was not just a lot of jockeying for players but an expected shockwave sent through the sport when Nick Saban announced his retirement as head coach at Alabama after leading the Tide to an SEC title and a bid to the College Football Playoff.

Here's how things shook out.

WWW.FOXSPORTS.COM

The college football winter transfer portal window is closed, and it's time to find out which teams used it best to build up and which others have more work to do ahead.

Great link, thanks. 

Colorado being in the losers category even with 22 new transfers is telling because the one thing they need isn't in the portal en mass... Linemen. 

Sure there are some and some very good ones but no where near enough to build a roster on. Linemenust be recruited at the high school level. 

I've heard this multiple times from people who I think know what they're talking about, but I still don't understand why. Is it because offensive lineman need to work together for years as a unit to excel ? Is it because there's potentially less NIL money offered for lineman, and thus transfers  are less likely to leave their current program? Other reasons? And I'm assuming there's probably more than one reason.

Love the Miami quote "the Hurricanes have the makings of one of the premier pass-catching combinations in the sport for 2024."

Too bad they don't have the chef to correctly use the recipe.

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

The key question is will MarinO ever relinquish the duties to coaches that are way more qualified than he is?

Answer is probably not. 

Would MarinoO ever become a head coach if the players hadn’t stood behind him when Slick left.

I seriously doubt it.

I think Ward is the best talent at QB mc will ever have since Justin and if he fails with with this guy he will be an offensive line coach full of bull crap like he always has been.  

Just an uneducated opinion from a fan that has had tooo many IPA’s this afternoon. For some reason these things make you way smarter. 😂

On 1/18/2024 at 2:38 PM, CountryProf said:

I've heard this multiple times from people who I think know what they're talking about, but I still don't understand why. Is it because offensive lineman need to work together for years as a unit to excel ? Is it because there's potentially less NIL money offered for lineman, and thus transfers  are less likely to leave their current program? Other reasons? And I'm assuming there's probably more than one reason.

Starters rarely transfer if they are in stable programs. I do think part of it is also Offensive linemen build each other up as a unit. So the best linemen don't want to transfer out and start over with a new line. Whereas if they stay with their guys and coaches they are going to start and put themselves in the best position to be drafted.

Though in the end I'm not sure why the best linemen opt not to transfer on the whole. Part of it I do think is that the NIL money comes through at the top schools with the top linemen to ensure they stay put. There are always a few good linemen in the portal, not saying they're aren't any, but compared to quarterbacks, receivers, runningbacks, linebackers and the like there are very few.

Colorado built their lines out of the portal so there are linemen available but the linemen Colorado got were relatively small compared to what Oregon, Alabama, Ohio State and Michigan have on their lines. There is a reason why Oregon bullied Colorado on the line of scrimmage so hard, its because the size of linemen.

For whatever reason high quality linemen don't enter the portal at the same rate as other position groups.

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2024 at 2:46 PM, Steven A said:

Love the Miami quote "the Hurricanes have the makings of one of the premier pass-catching combinations in the sport for 2024."

Too bad they don't have the chef to correctly use the recipe.

Mario...winner in the transfer portal, loser in the regular season.

I don’t get why it’s stated as obvious fact in the article that Cam Ward was the best QB in the portal.

Ward was honorable mention All-Pac-12 (along w Caleb Williams) last year, while DG was 1st team All-B12.

Yes, the Pac-12 was stacked at QB, but it’s hardly a given that its 4th best QB is better than the B12’s best.

The article barely mentions DGs accolades and stats.

30 day window for Bama, UW, AZ, and SJS. AZ players are leaving like Tucson is on fire. Lots of good Bama players out the door. And the last UW 2023 starter out the door please turn out the lights.

The powers that be have to get portal dates figured out. In 2024 the portal opens before the first playoff games on 12/21/24 and the playoff does not conclude until 1/20/25, 5 days before the traditional date when underclassmen have to declare for the draft.

And in the middle of 'all this' the first signing day appears. Managing an NFL schedule today compared to a CFB schedule is a piece of cake. 

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

And when the top tier linemen (both offensively and defensively) DO enter the portal you have Sr, Dan Lanning and company:  "Hi,  have you seen what we got going on here in Oregon...and we Ain't Going Nowhere!".  Welcome to the family.  😁😎🦆

5* QB and Bama commit Justin Sayin, has entered the portal with an Ohio State prediction. If this happens Sayin, along with 5* QB Air Noland would be the 2nd 5* to sign with the Buckeyes. Something's got to give, right?

Sayin is from Carlsbad, CA. and will be on Lincoln Riley's radar.

On 1/18/2024 at 8:07 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

I don’t get why it’s stated as obvious fact in the article that Cam Ward was the best QB in the portal.

Ward was honorable mention All-Pac-12 (along w Caleb Williams) last year, while DG was 1st team All-B12.

Yes, the Pac-12 was stacked at QB, but it’s hardly a given that it’s 4th best QB is better than the B12’s best.

The article barely mentions DGs accolades and stats.

Bama 'commit' 5* Julian Sayin from Carlsbad, CA has entered the portal. Good luck Kalen. He is considered to be an Ohio State lean.