FishDuck Article

End the Lie: No School Recruits Itself

Let’s do away with the myth that any blue blood school simply recruits itself. It’s a lie — especially in the era of the transfer portal and NIL that we are living in today. While it is absolutely true that having an established brand makes it a whole lot easier to recruit (just look at how Oregon State is recruiting ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Let’s do away with the myth that any blue blood school simply recruits itself. It’s a lie — especially in the era of the transfer portal and NIL that we...
  • Great post! 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

There are a few exceptions to the comment that the mutts had a lock on the state of Washington.  Off the top of my head, Jonathan Stewart and Peter Sirmon come to mind.

• Thumbs Up 3

If DeBoer doesn’t consistently recruit top 5 recruiting classes like Saban, then I fully expect he will will “struggle” under the pressure of trying to maintain Alabama’s level of play. 

My take on Scott Frost is that he was an elite athlete that did not have the personality traits needed to excel at recruiting. Therefore he blamed Eugene for his shortcomings. 

Recruiting is at the heart of long term success for a college head coach. The one thing Slick Willy did for Oregon was open our eyes that top recruits would come to Eugene. Cristobal solidified that fact.

Dan Lanning appears to be special when it comes to recruiting. He has the personality and work ethic needed to excel. If he continues to learn and improve as a coach, then ….

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I have always loved listening to people say how easy it would be if something was different. My favorite line when I hear this kind of talk is to say is if I was 2" taller and my coach hadn't had an attitude I could have been somebody and just smile, shake my head in agreement.

I actually completely agree nothing is easy, but some people make it look easy. A good buddy who is extremely successful would be lost if he didn't have a list in his pocket everyday. He seems like he is all put together and just extremely productive, almost lucky. He has figured out how to beat just about everybody at the game he plays.

Oregon is 2" too short and we never have bought the best coach. Oregon isn't the best academic school, and we don't tout an education at Oregon is going to solve all your problems, but no schools education will. We have never gone after, or gotten the best coach to run our programs. We go after a loser with talent, or an assistant who seems to have it. We make it look easy because we understand the work needed, and support the process.

We just need to keep agreeing with the pundits, and other programs who complain about how easy Oregon has it. Just shake our heads, smile and agree Oregon has it made. 

Also DeBoer will have it easy now, right! The only thing easy for DeBoer will be cashing the checks he has coming from a program who will again learn what it takes to win it all, and it isn't jut buying the best coach out there willing to sign for too much money.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Totally agree and there are many points of consideration here.  

Yes, Scott Frost was arrogant and thought he owned the room merely by walking in.  Unfortunately he had a horrible personality.  

The other thing is these kids and  their parents are looking at a bigger picture now and it's not just because of NIL and the portal.  One of the things you consistently hear recruits and their parents say about DL and the staff is how 'real' they are.  The net is being authentic and real matters.  In the past you never heard those words echoed about Kelly or Helfrich.

My point is sure Alabama has a lot to sell.   So does SC but you don't seem to hear the words 'real' and 'authentic' use about Lincoln Riley.   Maybe they will be at some point but there is a reason Dan and team are ruling So Cal at the moment. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/22/2024 at 3:50 AM, Grandpa Duck said:

There are a few exceptions to the comment that the mutts had a lock on the state of Washington.  Off the top of my head, Jonathan Stewart and Peter Sirmon come to mind.

True, but for a long time and for the majority of recruits in Washington....Oregon had a hard time attracting them, as the link in David's article to a prior article proves.

Mr. FishDuck

I completely agree with you David; recruiting requires a flair for it, a talent that some coaches have more than others. But it also requires a strong NIL program, academic support and as you noted....a ton of hard work.  When players who are being recruited make reference to all the conversations they have had with all the staff and Dan Lanning...I wonder if the poor coaches ever get off the phone!

What Lanning and his staff, (because hiring coaches who can recruit is also crucial) is so exceptional, and we just gotta soak it up while we can.

IMG_5215.jpeg

Lanning's recruiting is going to create this...

• Cool 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

It’s obvious to me that DL has an infectious personality and an energy that rubs off on coaches and everyone else on the program. He is very young so I can see that continuing at Eugene for quite some time.

The players see it and their parents see it as well.

As Charles stated enjoy the ride while we have it. Nothing lasts forever.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks, David. Another insightful take.

Case in point: Justin Sayin, 2024 No. 1 QB recruit from Carlsbad, CA. signed with Bama to play for Saban. He will now be playing at what is becoming for Alabama, 'That School Up North,' Ohio State. Two 5* recruits from Bama headed Day's way in the last week. Including the 2023 SEC Newcomer and Bama's leading tackler last season, safety Caleb Downs.

Chip Kelly? Over the same period in Westwood, Jim Mora had a better record than Kelly and was a far better recruiter. Dan Gurrero who was a terrible AD, helped lead UCLA's athletic department into 'bankruptcy.' Kelly stayed with the same average DC for years before Lynn showed up this season and Lynn is now off to USC. I cannot believe another billionaire NFL owner is ready to pay Chip millions of dollars more to coach a team in the NFL. Maybe Jody Allen is this out of it? When it comes to recruiting, Chip is simply lazy. 

DeBoer, IMO, would be a better fit in the NFL than Kelly. It's a place where he could coach up guys 'recruited' by a GM like the 49ers's John Lynch. All the pieces serendipitously fell together for DeBoer at UW over the last 2 seasons. He beat Texas twice. My guess is that he'll have a hard time beating Texas in the SEC because he will not have the same Jim's and Joe's on the field as did Saint Nick. His recruiting will not come close to Sark's. DeBoer has never signed a recruit ranked in the overall 200 recruit rankings. 

Even with NIL, recruiting from high school and the portal is based on relationships. And, does the track record show that you can get me into the NFL? As more Ducks players matriculate to the NFL, I think Dan and his crew's recruiting will only improve to where Oregon is a steady top 5 recruiting machine.

Go Ducks! Vandalize the Vandels! (And beat Ohio State, Michigan, and UW!)

• Applause 1

On 1/22/2024 at 12:23 PM, Just Ducky said:

It’s obvious to me that DL has an infectious personality and an energy that rubs off on coaches and everyone else on the program. He is very young so I can see that continuing at Eugene for quite some time.

The players see it and their parents see it as well.

As Charles stated enjoy the ride while we have it. Nothing lasts forever.

Spot On! How great was it that DL got a big-time cameo appearance at the national title game? Hopefully, he'll soon be one of the coaches on the sideline. 1/20/25 in Atlanta?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/22/2024 at 3:50 AM, Grandpa Duck said:

Until recently the amount of misses we have had with Washington recruits far outstrips the amount of hits and when we discuss the vast majority of our hits its not on four or five star recruits but three stars. 

For the 2024 class here is the Rivals link for the best recruits from the state of Washington. 

N.RIVALS.COM

The definitive source for all Rivals news.

Couple big points... the University of Washington failed completely to recruit their own state. 

Furthermore, Jason Brown (the No. 2 ranked player from Washington on Rivals) was recruited by Oregon but the Ducks turned him down at the end of his recruitment. Just think how mind-boggling that prospect this that Oregon turned down a four star runningback from the state to the north. Then Oregon secured two of the top ten from Washington as well. 

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 1