Jon Joseph

Has the First Look at Broadcast Future Arrived?

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

NBC has partnered with Cosm to give fans a unique viewing experience for select college football games.

• Wow 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting tech. Have to question the broad marketability though. We’re talking a group outing for a high-end, immersive TV experience, which is cool, but for how much $$? Would someone spend $100 (more?) to see the Ducks play a fancy TV broadcast, in LA? 

I could see this working for fights, anything that isn’t regional, or when you can’t get a ticket otherwise (if they had portable units they could locate near the big event you couldn’t get tickets too, such as the Super Bowl). Special events maybe, but regular season college football?

The next best thing to "being there".

Like long distance phone calls.

The success would depend on how realistic and great the experience. 

And on how great demand was there for the event itself.

On line 3-D gaming seems to be very successful, so maybe this has a chance.

I think I'd try it, at least once.

Kind of sounds like going to an exclusive bar to watch a game. Technology is the future, but time will tell if this flies further than the capital they will spend to broadcast and build venues. 

Someone is bankrolling this venture. Seems like there has to be more to this than just broadcasting “unique experiences” to a few venues. 

Perhaps a subscription service so that I can use 3D goggles at home for the experience? 

Could this be cool and fun? Yes. 

Am I interested? Not really. 

This shouldn't be seen as a replacement for the TV or an in-person experience but its own thing. 

Another example is... I don't see VR replacing the TV because interacting with VR is far more work than interacting (or not interacting) with the TV. 

• Thanks 1

Dave, I appreciate your thoughts as I am clueless as to how 'this' will work.

I do see a day coming when holographic broadcasts will allow you entry into the stadium to sit wherever you like, move around during the broadcast, and allow for as much sense of smell as you can handle.

According to the press release, fans will be offered a “shared reality” experience that “bridges the virtual and physical worlds through Cosm’s pioneered technology and 87-foot diameter, 8K+ LED domes.”

I just got a mental image of a kid wearing VR goggles, walking around the virtual football field among the players, then when the ball is hiked he gets squashed by a 300 lb stage hand.

• Haha 2

Yep, I could see me wearing the virtual goggles, and then pull as if I was one of guards on a counter...and then run into the real wall.  (But I'd probably enjoy it)

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/24/2024 at 3:09 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Dave, I appreciate your thoughts as I am clueless as to how 'this' will work.

I do see a day coming when holographic broadcasts will allow you entry into the stadium to sit wherever you like, move around during the broadcast, and allow for as much sense of smell as you can handle.

But where do you get your beer and hot dogs? (Sorry for the facetious comment but I just couldn't help myself as I sit here sipping a bourbon)

• Haha 2