NJDuck

Why is Oregon's Stadium Named Autzen? Why not Phil Knight Stadium or Nike Field?

With all of the money that pours into the University of Oregon from Nike founder and CEO Phil Knight, a handful of buildings around campus bear his name.

Matthew Knight Arena, Knight Library, and Phil & Penny Knight Science Campus all feature the man so lovingly referred to as Uncle Phil. So why not the biggest athletic building in the city?

Why is Autzen Stadium named Autzen?

The future of Autzen Stadium

As Oregon heads to the Big Ten, home to some of the most famous NCAA football stadiums in the nation, Autzen will fall short of being the most indomitable field in the conference.

To mitigate Autzen Stadium turning into a little brother, a plan was proposed to expand and create an entire Autzen Complex.

AUTZENZOO.COM

With numerous donations (both monetary and in uniform), a handful of buildings around campus bear Phil Knights' name. So why not Autzen?

• Thumbs Up 1

Seeking clarification. Is it true, the expansion of the Autzen Complex will NOT include any expansion to Autzen Stadium seating, itself?

On 2/28/2024 at 9:08 AM, Chipshot said:

Seeking clarification. Is it true, the expansion of the Autzen Complex will NOT include any expansion to Autzen Stadium seating, itself?

This is what I know at this point, the last information on Autzen.  I do know that Rob Mullins also said season ticket sales and package deals have been off the charts, hasn't seen this happen in a very long time.

With visiting fans from the Big Ten who travels well along with a possibility of hosting in the playoffs makes it imperative to bring a greater experience to the stadium with improvements.

Expanding north side of Autzen Stadium ‘on our radar’ for Oregon Ducks

It could be getting a little bit louder at Autzen Stadium after Oregon joins the Big Ten.

UO is in the planning stages for renovating and expanding the north side of Autzen Stadium, a source with knowledge of the matter told The Oregonian/OregonLive. The source requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak publicly.

Details are murky about exactly how much bigger Oregon is aiming to make its football stadium, which has officially seated 54,000 since the south side was expanded in 2002. According to a source, early plans include the possibility of adding a second deck to the north side, which would closely mirror the south side of the stadium, and expanding and upgrading the Charter Box seating area.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Autzen is the fifth-largest football stadium in the Pac-12, but it will be the 13th-largest in the 18-team Big Ten.

Oregon in planning stages of possible Autzen Stadium expansion

The Univ. of Oregon is in the "planning stages for renovating and expanding the north side" of Autzen Stadium, according to a source cited by James Crepea of the Portland OREGONIAN.

Autzen has officially seated 54,000 since the south side was expanded in 2002, but a source said that early plans “include the possibility of adding a second deck to the north side,” which would “closely mirror the south side of the stadium, and expanding and upgrading the Charter Box seating area.”

Crepea noted the enhancements to Autzen would “likely come after the completion of the new indoor football practice facility," which has “still yet to break ground.”

Autzen is the fifth-largest football stadium in the Pac-12, but it will be the 13th-largest in the 18-team Big Ten, ahead of Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, Minnesota and Northwestern.

With Oregon’s schedules set to see a "significant upgrade in quality of competition, demand from opposing fan bases about to grow substantially and the possibility of hosting home games" in the expanded CFP, maximizing the seating at Autzen is a "high priority for the athletic department" (Portland OREGONIAN, 8/7). 

WWW.SPORTSBUSINESSJOURNAL.COM

The Oregon Ducks are making the move to the Big Ten and now the athletic department is in the planning stages for renovating and increasing capacity to Autzen Stadiums north side.

I surely hope that the UofO and the city of Eugene (and to a smaller extent the State) realize the opportunity being presented here to create a long-term, sustainable, economic and cultural centric zone by viewing the Autzen complex, Alton Baker/Cuthbert, Riverfront Project, etc., all moving in unison towards this goal in mind.

If they Work Together then within a decade we could have an active and vibrant area that not only would be a Great place for visiting sports fans and general tourists to spend their "travelin' money" at, but a place for the locals to frequent and a source of pride for Eugenians.

I know that the "hoops and hurdles" needing to make this happen are....daunting, and I am not the only one that would like to see this entire area repurposed in such a way.  That is even before we start talking cost!  (100's of Millions?  Maybe more than a Billion?!) and where does that all come from.  But the long-term benefits would far surpass any cost and redtape, associated with the developement.

City planners already appear to be moving cautiously in this direction but need to buckle down and, by committee or otherwise, create a comprehensive plan with all parties involved, attack any redtape stalling or slowing the process, find or "create" the financings required and get this done!

Won't be easy but strike Now while the iron is hot and we will have Riverfront/Alton Baker/Autzen Sports complex to shine as the jewel of our community.

Ok...now back to reality...lol, but here's hoping.  🤞

Simple answer to the Nike Field question is that it is called The Rich Brooks Field and that should never change!

I do wonder why there isn't any football facility named after Bellotti, but maybe that is in the works, or will be addressed at some point. Bellotti, like Casanova, was coach, AD and did a lot for the Oregon Football Program.

What I would like to see is the stadium being renamed after Dan Lanning. If he can bring a National Championship in the coming years that wouldn't be out of the question.

You may see Knight's name of things around campus, but I don't think we actually see Phil Knights name on anything. His way of doing things is to name things after others, and if Lanning can bring a National title to the football program and continue is unrelenting commitment to Oregon that just might be the way PK shows his appreciation.

My impression is Phil doesn't want his name on anything, not his style. He doesn't need his name on anything, doesn't want it, would rather give than receive.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There are about a half-dozen projects like this being "considered" around the country.  But, it is a long haul between considered and actual doing...

WWW.WEAREIOWA.COM

Iowa State announced has plans for a $200 million retail, office and entertainment development called “CYTown” between Jack Trice Stadium and Hilton Coliseum.

On 2/28/2024 at 9:12 AM, Haywarduck said:

Simple answer to the Nike Field question is that it is called The Rich Brooks Field and that should never change!

Absolutely! 

It has history and meaning to the Oregon football program. Nike has been essential to Oregon's rise as well but in truth it feels tacky in college football to have things named after companies. 

After all... we don't want to be like the Huskies with Husky stadium's field being Alaska Airlines field. 

I also agree that Knight has his name on plenty at UO and before he passes his name will probably be on a few more buildings as well. As a Duck fan and UO alum, I am forever thankful for his contributions. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

We do know this so far:

University of Oregon, city of Eugene sign land swap agreement to pave way for new football indoor practice facility

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

The city of Eugene and University of Oregon negotiated for nearly a year and a half over a land swap that will facilitate UO rerouting Leo Harris Parkway in order to accommodate the new indoor...

Plans to accommodate the following:

UO Athletics plans to break ground in 2024 to construct a new indoor practice field next to Autzen Stadium. They recently released plans for additional development in this area: the relocation of the two outdoor practice fields to the south of their current location.

To accommodate this, Leo Harris Parkway would be re-routed to the south and the existing City-owned paved parking lot serving Eugene Science Center, Cuthbert Amphitheater, and Alton Baker Park guests would be relocated to the City-owned parkland/field east of the Eugene Science Center building.

UO-Proposed-New-Practice-Fields.png

PROPOSED RE-ROUTE OF LEO HARRIS PARKWAY

UO-Proposed-Leo-Harris-Parkway-Modificat

PROPOSED PAVED PARKING MITIGATION

ESC-2024-Parking-Areas.png

"....Autzen complex, Alton Baker/Cuthbert, Riverfront Project, etc., all moving in unison.."

I understand the attraction of nearby tailgating, and the gameday revenue generated by the Mo Center, but I've felt Cuthbert has been an underutilized venue potential for gamedays.  Yes, there is walking distance involved, but putting the right kind of entertainment into Cuthbert could attract earlier arrivals and take some pressure off of Autzen traffic as kickoff approaches.  A venue with student and/or Eugene area bands, for example?

As noted in my earlier post, Iowa State's project includes a proposal for a stadium area amphitheater as a pre-game/post-game venue.  Obviously if Oregon ends up with a lot of late Saturday home games in the Big Ten, then that is somewhat limiting.  But, vendor access near Cuthbert could create economic opportunity.   (And, more restroom access)

• Thumbs Up 1

The Autzen who came up with most of the money for the stadium, graduated in 1909 from Oregon Agricultural College, later renamed Oregon State University. He named the stadium after his son who graduated from UO.

Brooks contributed significantly to the Oregon program, but Brooks left for the NFL where he posted a 13-19 record. After the NFL, Brooks coached in the SEC. Brooks finished with an overall college record of 130-156-4. Brooks graduated from Oregon State in 1963. At OSU he played DB for coach Tommy Prothro.

Brooks took Oregon to its first Rose Bowl in 37 years and in 2007 was inducted into the UO sports hall of fame. He is certainly worthy of having the field named after him. But the person who writes the check to expand the stadium should perhaps have the stadium named after them with the practice field named after Autzen. And as noted above, if DL can bring a title or two to Eugene will the memory of Brooks be strong enough to keep the field named after him? Especially if DL stays the course in Eugene and does not leave for the NFL or the SEC. 

Why build a new practice facility before expanding the stadium? Stadium expansion with provide an ROI; the new practice facility?

On 2/28/2024 at 8:44 AM, MicroBurst61 said:

I know that the "hoops and hurdles" needing to make this happen are....daunting

Off topic, but it is a slow time of year for football news…perhaps this is interesting for those that live in Oregon.

Here is a little perspective on planning projects that are “daunting”.

The replacement of the current I-5 bridge across the Columbia river is one such project. It is over 100 years old, which makes it an antique that is used heavily every day.

Anyone that has left an office in downtown Portland around 5pm, and then made the drive into Vancouver, will tell you it can easily take at least an hour on a “good day” to arrive at most destinations. A distance of 12 to 15 miles. Most cities have traffic issues, but when you need to cross over rivers it creates more complex problems to any viable solution.

A strong earthquake with an epicenter nearby could easily render our “antique bridge” useless, or worse, collapse the span. Placing all I-5 North/South traffic onto 205 and its bridge across the Columbia, assuming it survives a quake. That freeway already has severe traffic congestion and delays.

Portland and the surrounding areas regularly have earthquakes, with as many as 300 measurable quakes in a year. The vast majority are never noticeable.  A bunch of small quakes is so much better than one big one. 

Replacing the bridge with one that is less of a bottleneck, and is seismically resilient, has been in the planning stages SINCE 1999. The bridge is actually a vital part of Oregon’s economy.

I would like to think that makes it a high priority” for Oregon, Washington, and the Federal government. In 2020, the projected cost was $3 to $4 billion, now the projected cost is $5.5 to $7 billion, primarily due to inflation. 

The wheels of progress are slow (25 years and counting). If only all of our incomes would double every 4 to 5 years…sigh 

• Salute 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I would guess that a practice facility is the priority because it helps with recruiting which provides an immediate return on investment. This was also in the works prior to conference transition. Takes a pretty long time for a 9 figure expansion by 12,000 seats to turn a profit, and I’m not sure how much recruits care if the capacity is 66k instead of 54k.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1

Funny that Autzen and Brooks were both OAC/OSU alumni, given the difference in the current trajectories of Oregon and Oregon State... I wouldn't change either name. 

Shoot, if you want to name something for Belloti or Lanning, new construction, such as the indoor training facility, or the luxury boxes in the upgraded Autzen Stadium would be good candidates, imo.

On 2/28/2024 at 5:25 AM, NJDuck said:

With all of the money that pours into the University of Oregon from Nike founder and CEO Phil Knight, a handful of buildings around campus bear his name.

Matthew Knight Arena, Knight Library, and Phil & Penny Knight Science Campus all feature the man so lovingly referred to as Uncle Phil. So why not the biggest athletic building in the city?

Why is Autzen Stadium named Autzen?

The future of Autzen Stadium

As Oregon heads to the Big Ten, home to some of the most famous NCAA football stadiums in the nation, Autzen will fall short of being the most indomitable field in the conference.

To mitigate Autzen Stadium turning into a little brother, a plan was proposed to expand and create an entire Autzen Complex.

AUTZENZOO.COM

With numerous donations (both monetary and in uniform), a handful of buildings around campus bear Phil Knights' name. So why not Autzen?

Because……without the Autzens, there would be no stadium.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Autzen's were the family that initially set the table for the feast Uncle Phil has been preparing... Place looks and smells pretty nice, considering it was once part of a massive refuse disposal/landfill site!

Edited by woundedknees

I was a married law student when Autzen was built.  The original contractor went belly up, is my recollection.  Leo Harris was scrambling for a million bucks, a huge sum in 1964-65, and the Autzen Foundation came up with it.  So the short answer to the original question is that without the Autzen timely contribution there would not be a stadium and Leo Harris who took a huge gamble in building “on that gravel bar way over there across the river with no way to get to it” would have been canned.  It’s Autzen Stadium and it will ever be thus.

• Thumbs Up 2

Please don't expand the stadium. Tickets should remain a premium for the impending horde of Big Ten invaders. I don't want to ever see large swaths of Red, Blue, or putrid Spartan Green in Autzen. Let them come to Eugene, let them tailgate. But make them watch the game on television.

I know some of them will get in. We'll see those two famous Buckeye fans this Fall. The bald dude with the painted face, and the dude with the weird hat and sunglasses that always has a cape and grills outside the stadium before games. But no more!!! We should not hear that stupid chant during the game. You know the chant, I heard it as a kid growing up there. I won't say it.

BTW the dude grilling out is a super nice guy, and his BBQ is good. But that's only for pregame purposes. For sixty minutes, he is our enemy!!!!

Edited by Duckley Palace