Charles Fischer

The Pac-2 Are Simply Disgusting...

So Canzano interviews the new Pac-12 Commissioner Gould, and she says that in terms of their plans going forward, "everything is on the table."

WHAT is even available for you besides stealing what the other 10 members earned?  What is left?

The Crucial Component:

Every power conference rejected you, even at nearly for free.  Not even a Stanford-Cal deal.  This means that the free-market has decided that you ARE a GROUP of FIVE set of teams, and the closest is the Mountain West.

You can pretend you are going to build something...but what would it be?  Combining six other G5 teams into a new conference and trying to pass it off as ANYTHING other than just another Group-of-Five conference?

How long are you going to pretend that YOU WILL NEVER BE ANYTHING other than a G5 conference?  And yet you try to justify why you are stealing money from the ten other teams, when in fact YOU OWE for the millions overpaid to you over the years for your "fair share."

We were generous to you to the tune of hundreds of millions, and now you take more?

giphy.gif

• Yikes! 1
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Also just read they’re “continuing” the P12 network through 2025. Just let that sink in.

• Wow 1

Yet our athletic department and coaches somehow find it important to continue to play them?

Why?

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Delusional. Aided and abetted by folks like Canzano. 

The Pac-2 commissioner speaks; If a tree falls in the forest ...

• Haha 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On a side note, I've been wondering when the time to unsubscribe from all things PAC would arrive, and it's starting to feel like the time has arrived.

On 3/1/2024 at 11:05 AM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Also just read they’re “continuing” the P12 network through 2025. Just let that sink in.

Gonna be a whole lot of reruns. 

• Haha 1
  • Applause 2

On 3/1/2024 at 1:25 PM, Krsmqn said:

What "continuing" means actually remains to be seen. Glorified WSU/OSU podcast? High potential for them to screw that up and cost some serious $$.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's going to be reruns of every game that Oregon State and Washington State beat Oregon. 

It will be an absolutely awful network for Duck fans. 

• Oh no! 1

Not really.  Mountain West games will be shown....Oregon State versus Utah State, and Washington State versus San Jose State...you know, what EVERYONE wants to watch!

giphy.gif

Yep!

• Haha 3
  • Mic drop 1

Mr. FishDuck

Good, I've been searching for Gomer Pyle USMC

• Haha 3

This is going to be sad. The ratings will speak for themselves. I'm curious what Comcast will pay for the P12 Network when it all shakes out. 

I’m going to continue to be the contrarian here on this topic.  I can’t help but think that if the only members that left the conference had been the two LA schools, and they had tried to make a claim on the funds, OBD and the other 9 would have told them to pound sand.  “You left. You gave up your right to demand anything.”  I believe that would have been our attitude toward the LA schools.  It would have been mine.  

Can anyone on this board make an argument that this would not have been our stance?  And if so, why do we begrudge OSU and WSU of this same argument?

Big differences, and it starts with the departure.  We WANTED to stay in the conference, and only left when we received a terrible offer. Even with a reduced rate, Oregon doubles its payout over the next ten years.  LA schools were out regardless-“they gone!”

OSU/WSU were TRYING to escape as well,…weren’t they?  But nobody wanted them, and they retreated to the  “Stealing” mode.  They continue to put out feelers to see if joining a P5 conference is possible.  Thus, they are no different than us in pursuing opportunities, only they failed.

Let’s look at another angle on this, and ask out loud, “what if both teams had been accepted into another conference? What them?”

You know what would be happening… They would be splitting up the revenue among 12 teams, both current and future revenue streams.

And what are they going to accomplish with the 255 million and future revenue streams?

Nothing.

Because they are a group of five set of teams, and there are no power five teams remaining to join their new conference. It is simply another group of five Conference.

What kind of media contract will this new Conference receive? Nothing. It is no different than just another Mountain West conference, as they play San Jose State, Utah State, and Hawaii, etc.

The money they are taking will do nothing to change their stature in the sports world. If anything, it will attempt to cover up their terrible ongoing management, at the expense of the teams that actually earned it.

That is the opposite of what occurred with the LA schools and the other 10 teams of the former Pac 12.

In retrospect, the LA schools did deserve more, and they are getting it via a full payout from the Big Ten conference. The rest of the former Pac 12 deserved much more than the two remaining teams, and we are getting that now as well.

But we all deserve what we earned, and not be penalized by the MWest teams who posed as PAC-12 conference members, and did not pull their fair share due to their OWN management.

So the question remains… Taking all of this into account, what do these two teams deserve? They have over already been overpaid by the tune of over $100 million over the decades via their fair share, and now they demand what the other teams have earned?

At what point do you call this a massive charade and con job? 

I grew up as a beaver fan in Corvallis, who went eventually to Oregon, and who cheered for both teams, I was saddened by what happened to Oregon State in the beginning of this mess. But sympathy does not justify stealing the 35 million they are taking from the University of Oregon athletic department that was rightfully earned by our teams and fans.

How can anyone justify this?

• Great post! 3
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Yeah.  

What he said. 

I blame Rob Mullens, you don't walk away from a poker table while money is on the table. You may see a better table across the way, but you don't forget to close out.

We can blame the beavs, and the cougs all we want, but they are just playing the hand left them by rest of the conference of chumps.

From hiring Larry, to leaving with all that money on the table there is a lot to be angry at. I don't blame anyone but the man in the mirror.

I look at what we could have, should have done and just shake my head. Time to move on, and hopefully make better decisions going forward, but that is questionable too.

My bet if somebody did something like this in the corporate, real world, they wouldn't have a job. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 3/3/2024 at 6:53 AM, Haywarduck said:

I blame Rob Mullens

...and our university presidents for tolerating this nonsense, for being so weak.

Some here would say, "well that is the law."  It is not, as the judge who granted everything to the Pac-2 is a Cougar honk, the biggest one possible.  Getting hosed by a homer...is that justice?

Had the proceedings taken place in Eugene, Phoenix, or LA....it would have been much more fair and not insisting on a venue that is not so biased or appealing in a different location is again...very weak.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/3/2024 at 7:09 AM, Charles Fischer said:

...and our university presidents for tolerating this nonsense, for being so weak.

Some here would say, "well that is the law."  It is not, as the judge who granted everything to the Pac-2 is a Cougar honk, the biggest one possible. Is that justice?

Had the proceedings taken place in Eugene, Phoenix, or LA....it would have been much more fair and not insisting on a venue that is not so biased or appealing in a different location is again...very weak.

There is a lot of blame to go around for the destruction of the once mighty conference of champions. The elitist presidents, who bought into the Harvard grad running the conference into the ground are high on the list.

I'm stuck longing for what was, and have a hard time wrapping my head around the future. I suppose my view is pretty myopic, but that is how I can continue stomach what has and is going on.

We each have an outlook, and way of morning this sad, IMHO, stage in college athletics. I can respect everyones points of view, but have decided to just focus on the good, and that mainly includes our Ducks. The rest is just noise, and I have too much noise in my life already!

I can just go wow about my Ducks if I tune the rest out, my way, not everyone's way.

the-beatles-fangirl.gif

I understand coping mechanisms, as I've engaged in them frequently since all the changes began.  But the bizarre reverse of logic taking place, the weakness by those who can do better--it really distorts my big picture view that much further.

And Mullens schedules OSU and helps their media money for 2024?

giphy.gif

Oh yeah, let's not forget that the company paying us twice the Apple offer is the company that destroyed the Pac-12?

The people paying for everything...the fans, are told to bend over at every instance and take it.

A lot to love these days!

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

"...blame Rob Mullens, you don't walk away from a poker table while money is on the table.."

When the schools indicated they were leaving they all said "effective August 1, 2024" which is the end of the current Pac12 agreement.  They did not say "we are leaving immediately."

Note:  they are still playing Pac12 games including providing competition for OSU and WSU in a variety of sports.  They will participate in tournaments at the end of the basketball season.  A couple will claim the NCAA basketball tournament automatic qualifier for the Pac12...and so on.

I still did not understand how the "judge" could rule the way he did.  Was the wording a bit confusing?  Yes.  But, the escaping members were clear on the effective date announcement, and clear by their actions since.

Even the Big Ten and Big12 made announcements that "these are our new members effective August 1."

Another angle that gets me, in addition to all the above, the rules for A MEMBER OR TWO leaving were not designed for 10 members leaving at once. Again, terrible leadership.There should have been a clause as to what constitutes the conference dissolving. Arrogance did not allow for this as a possibility, which is just foolish and incompetent.

More? Despite this, they still could have argued this point, and to my knowledge did not.

Finally. Their fanbase referring to us as “Whoregone” when they were also trying to leave, and would join the ACC today if they were invited, is just flat out annoying. Throw in us giving up a home game to give them a home game to sell (featuring us) and it makes me not wish them well.

All that being said, they’re about to become irrelevant in my mind-space after we pound them in September. 

On 3/3/2024 at 12:14 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

All that being said, they’re about to become irrelevant in my mind-space after we pound them in September. 

Agreed, but I first have to vent at the 35 million dollar scam.  Then they will be...

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Former Fox executive Bob Thompson yesterday tweet:  "If anyone thinks that any distributor is going to carry Pac 12 Networks after July 1 please give me a call. I have some land I would like to talk to you about.  Could continue as a production house for third parties, and the two remaining schools, but beyond that???"

Me...one issue would be how much is WSU and OSU willing to spend to keep the "production house" going?  That is going to have to come out of the bag they are keeping from the 10 escapees.  Where would the "production house" be?  Still in the Bay Area?  Still paying the lease?  How many employees?  How much would the MtWest or WCC be willing to fork over?  And, if no network is willing to pay for content generated, how will the content be used?   If nobody wants to pay for the content, what value do the old game films of USC vs Washington have to the Pac2?  And, so on...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/3/2024 at 12:39 PM, HDuck said:

Former Fox executive Bob Thompson yesterday tweet:  "If anyone thinks that any distributor is going to carry Pac 12 Networks after July 1 please give me a call. I have some land I would like to talk to you about.  Could continue as a production house for third parties, and the two remaining schools, but beyond that???"

Me...one issue would be how much is WSU and OSU willing to spend to keep the "production house" going?  That is going to have to come out of the bag they are keeping from the 10 escapees.  Where would the "production house" be?  Still in the Bay Area?  Still paying the lease?  How many employees?  How much would the MtWest or WCC be willing to fork over?  And, if no network is willing to pay for content generated, how will the content be used?   If nobody wants to pay for the content, what value do the old game films of USC vs Washington have to the Pac2?  And, so on...

Oh yeah, I called it a potential glorified podcast earlier in the thread. Can’t imagine anyone wanting to carry it. Direct streaming only with the voice of the Beavs and Cougs being the talent. 

Since the conference failed at successfully implementing the network at full strength, very good chance this will be a huge money loser for them as their pirated treasure dries up quickly.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yeah the whole victim theme never seemed right to me. The Pac-12 lied to it's members, there was never a television deal in place. Every team sought an escape after the truth came out. Oregon and Washington were vetted by the Big Ten a year before. 

Utah was never a target, even if they thought they were. So they went to their fallback, ASU was lucky enough to have Arizona drag them into the Big Twelve. Colorado just went back home.

Then you had the two arrogant academics in Cali, they were rumored to be Big Ten targets, but got a reality check when they had to take the last boat out. Not to the Big Ten with us, but to the ACC with SMU.

The PAC WHO CARES couldn't get a bite, so they became self righteous babies, who fought harder in the media and court rooms, than they ever did on a football field. Maybe if they put as much effort into building their brand as they did fighting to steal money, they may have been a valuable commodity. 

That ship has passed though. Oregon should leave the Beav in the dust. We can play Portland State, Idaho, or Akron.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

In Your Face Wazzu!

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Paul Finebaum went off when it comes to the outrage to a proposed CFP model that would award the SEC and Big Ten more automatic bids.

IMO, a justified duplicate post.

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thank you Jon, as that is a great article and one of the few times I agree with the biggest SEC honk.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/5/2024 at 11:04 AM, Jon Joseph said:

In Your Face Wazzu!

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Paul Finebaum went off when it comes to the outrage to a proposed CFP model that would award the SEC and Big Ten more automatic bids.

IMO, a justified duplicate post.

“I feel very strongly that they’re probably tired of loudmouthed presidents like the guy at Washington State who got in the way several years ago and stopped the progress of the 12-team Playoff,” Finebaum explained. “…And he’s still mouthing off, and he’s part of a league with 2 schools. My reaction is shut up, go find yourself into a league before you try to dictate policy at the CFP.”

Gold Jerry, gold.

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is a quote from Jon Wilner's column about Commissioner K today: 

"Kliavkoff either didn’t bother or was unable to read the room: After the failed promise of the Pac-12 Networks, the last thing the presidents and athletic directors wanted was an all-streaming media rights deal with revenue tied to reaching subscription tiers.  They wanted linear exposure and revenue certainty. He delivered neither."

To me that pretty much says what needs to be said about why the Pac12 escapees ran for the life boats.  Anyone who has said subsequently that UW/UO, and then UA/ASU/Utah, should have stuck around to make OSU/WSU happy simply doesn't want to accept the reality of what was happening.  At that time UW's President pointed the finger at how underwhelming the proposal from K was, and without linear certainty for visibility and recruiting. 

And now, with the consolidation of influence and money in two conferences, it was even more so the right decision in retrospect.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

And…I just read that the rodents (only) got $10m in additional state funding for athletic scholarships. 

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

On 3/12/2024 at 10:39 AM, JabbaNoBargain said:

And…I just read that the rodents (only) got $10m in addition state funding for athletic scholarships. 

Yep, and they discovered another new revenue stream to steal from the other prior Pac-12 members.  I will discuss in a future article...so disgusting!

giphy.gif

• Oh no! 1
  • Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/1/2024 at 11:53 AM, Jon Joseph said:

The Pac-2

Can we please stop calling them the Pac - 2.  I think that is a disservice to our beloved Pacific 8, Pacific 10 and/or Pacific 12 Conference.

Perhaps Rat-Pac or Wac Pac would be better.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

DAGNABIT, I read about that Senate bill earlier and was going to start my very first Fishduck thread with it.  Day late I guess........

The death of meritocracy continues.  At the expense of all.

Oh, and by all means Duck AD please continue to feel sorry for them and bending over backwards to play them.

• Cool 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/12/2024 at 11:07 AM, Steven A said:

Can we please stop calling them the Pac - 2.  I think that is a disservice to our beloved Pacific 8, Pacific 10 and/or Pacific 12 Conference.

Perhaps Rat-Pac or Wac Pac would be better.

Or

PIG 2

MID 2

Solid options

• Applause 1

To anybody who feels sorry for the two. Imagine having a house with twelve kids. Ten of them work hard, contribute to the family and get accepted into college. Those ten got what they deserved. Now take two of those and they slacked off, rarely cleaned their rooms. Then one day, dad and mom announce they are selling the house, moving to the beach house.

The parents have it written that all the kids will get something from the sale. But the two deadbeats with no options, nowhere to go, want to take everything from the sale. After all, they got abandoned. It's not fair, how can they afford to keep living the lifestyle they've grown accustomed to without the luxury of living rent free?

Meanwhile across the street, the same thing happened ten years ago to the EastMans. Little Cindy and Ucef just got dropped into the much less lavish neighborhood. But they worked hard, made themselves more desirable, and they got rewarded.

Meanwhile Wally and Beav want to take what they don't deserve. They won't let the house be sold, they're clawing to stay in there. It's not fair!!! The moving trucks are coming, it's near time for the police to throw the vagrants out of the P4 neighborhood.

"YOU LOSE SIR!! YOU GET NOTHING!! GOOD Day!!"

• Great post! 1

On 3/13/2024 at 11:22 AM, Duckley Palace said:

Wally and Beav

Beavis and Butthead?

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/14/2024 at 6:04 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Beavis and Butthead?

giphy.gif

It is rather fitting. "Hey Beavis, I can see George's butt"

"Hahaha, I can see his media deal. It's miniscule, Butthead".

Edited by Duckley Palace

Anyone else notice the “commissioner” slinking around during the trophy presentation last night? Didn’t really speak. Awkward and priceless.

On 3/17/2024 at 10:28 AM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Anyone else notice the “commissioner” slinking around during the trophy presentation last night? Didn’t really speak. Awkward and priceless.

Very awkward.  Didn't belong....

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

Mr. FishDuck