FishDuck Article

Is Oregon State Becoming Like a Bygone Beer?

Back in the 1960’s, when I was a struggling law student at the University of Oregon, I used to wonder whether there was enough room in the State for two PAC-8 Conference football programs. “The state of Oregon just doesn’t produce enough high school players of that quality,” I mused. Mr. FishDuck took some time from his fun at mostbet ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Back in the 1960’s, when I was a struggling law student at the University of Oregon, I used to wonder whether there was enough room in the...
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Love the links.  Those take me back. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Mike for your entertaining summary of the state of affairs in Corvallis.  It does not seem as though there's a plan.

When Commissioner Living Large Larry was beginning the downward spiral of the Pac, I was under the impression that OSU President Ray was Larry's biggest supporter (protector).  If true, then this mess at OSU seems to be a large dose of Karma.

• Applause 3

Great story and superbly written, Mike.  Many thanks.

I'm not a beer drinker.  In fact, in spite of a longingly recalled sniff of the spirit, I too, miss Henry's flavor. But like the Phoenix, didn't H.W. Reserve rise from the boiler's ashes?  Could the same analogy apply to our poor little beav brothers?

WWW.BEERVANABLOG.COM

Molson Coors-owned Hop Valley announced they were reviving Henry Weinhard’s Private Reserve. But they did so on April 1. A week later, Molson Coors wrote a blog post expanding on the...

Mike...this was fun going down memory lane.  In the process of finding images for your article--I ran into this video which featured many of their other great TV ads that were quite entertaining.

About the time these ads aired is when OSU could have hired Rich Brooks, but passed and went with Craig Fertig.  All of Oregon's history could have been theirs, and so it seems that both the beer and the university in Corvallis went off the rails at the same time.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/4/2024 at 6:34 AM, Smith72 said:

It does not seem as though there's a plan.

What could the plan be?  They are still a Group-5 team no matter how much they spend of the 300 million on lipstick.  They are bound to their fate, and extracting a major pound of flesh from everyone else to try to assuage their pain.

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

There is no plan.  Beavis just keeps looking for ways to feel sorry for itself, and reinforcement of that by local media.

https://archive.ph/XNT6J

Nice article, but Henry’s Ale (green bottles) was my beer of choice in college. 6-pack was $2.50 and was clearly worth the extra 50 cents.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

On 4/4/2024 at 10:58 AM, HDuck said:

There is no plan.  Beavis just keeps looking for ways to feel sorry for itself, and reinforcement of that by local media.

https://archive.ph/XNT6J

Wow. Oram continues the narrative of Beaver fans; the world is not fair, and OSU is being treated poorly.  Nowhere in that nonsense he wrote is there any taking accountability for the actions and incompetence by prior Oregon state sports administrations that brought them to this point.

The fault is with UO, the Sports Landscape, money, and on and on and on. It is never their own fault. 

Will accountability EVER set in?

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

And you will note the stark contrast between Oregon and Oregon State fans, as Beavers ignore the incompetence of their leaders in the past, while Oregon fans are clearly sticking the results right on Mullens where it belongs. We are not blind, and we are willing to take the medicine to solve the illness. 

I did not think that people are that different, but there sure seems to be quite a difference between Oregon and Oregon State fans concerning the actions of their athletic directors.

Whew!

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

I will kindly disagree on the idea of if OSU had hired Brooks it would have saved the program. The beavs would have screwed that up too, I have little doubt.

Look at the long line of great coaches the cougs have had, and they couldn't build a decent program there either.

The Ducks, on the other hand, would have hired another coach who had struggled, and magically made him successful at building what  we have. That is my story, and I am sticking to it!

beavernation1jpg-57ebf0a7927d8064.jpg

• Thanks 1

Idaho used to be in the same conference as us and is now appropriately in the Big Sky. The PIG2 has been in over their skis for decades and completely fit the G5 profile. This adjustment is nothing new, new divisions have popped up before.

Like it or not, football drives the bus of the next separation and they don’t measure up.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/4/2024 at 12:25 PM, Haywarduck said:

The beavs would have screwed that up too, I have little doubt.

OK....

giphy.gif

How could I forget about their propensity to mess things up?  (And then blame everyone else for it...)

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Great article. Thank you, Mike. 

Would it not be great to return to the days before Oklahoma, Georgia, and other schools, blew up the NCAA's exclusive right to broadcast college football games? When only superior teams played in the four post-season bowl games. When a coach making more than $100,000 a year was the exception and not the rule. Before the onslaught of locker rooms with waterfalls. When you learned the recruits new to the school when spring ball started and the only Stars were in the sky and Hollywood. When you could tailgate in the daylight and not in the dark. 

When the NCAA lost its exclusive CFB broadcast right, as you Mike so correctly pointed out in an earlier article, the media came on strong and armed with money, and college sports, especially football and men's basketball were capitalized. The concept of "student-athlete" hung on for decades in form and not substance, until the model was destroyed in courts of law and legislative bodies, notwithstanding the NCAA spending millions of dollars in legal fees to preserve the prosaic model.

When anything is capitalized, there will be winners and losers as determined by the marketplace, the amounts of capital invested, and the strategy associated with the investment of capital. This is as true for beer as it is for athletic programs. 

Where would Oregon be today in comparison with Oregon State if not for Phil Knight, NIKE, and the marketing genius of Bob Strasser and other NIKE executives? Would Oregon be B1G, or cast adrift like Oregon State and Washington State? We'll never know. But we do know that like it or not Puddles is in a fine-featured B1G nest and the Beavers have been dammed by the marketplace. Northwestern and Vanderbilt continue to be respectively buoyed by their B1G and SEC partners and not by their investment in athletics. 

The Pac-12 lost. Unfortunately, Oregon State and Washington State bereft of buoys, went down with the Conference of Champions ship. 

I very much doubt that Oregon State sports will disappear; rather, the Beavers will find a niche among the schools that invest a similar amount of capital in college athletics. 

Thanks again for the well-thought-out and very well-written article.

Good article Mike.  Personally, I was an Artesian fan after "I seen 'em".

• Thumbs Up 1

From that time period....another good one!

A good analogy for Oregon State?

The beer, and the OSU Athletics driving off and fading away?

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Maybe I’ve confused?

If two members of the PAC had ONE Rose Bowl victory between them over the course of more than a century, that’s not very good…right? I’ll even overlook the fact the victory was played In Durham, NC a few weeks after Pearl Harbor.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On a "positive note" for Beavis, Vegas currently has The Great Rueck as no better than No. 6 in the odds as replacement for Tennessee women's coach.

If Beavis tries to flee to another conference with all of Oregon’s money, hopefully Trooper Dick Curtis will be lying in wait. 

“Well now! Where you fellas goin’ with all that stolen cash!”

• Haha 1

Just watched a news report about $30 million being stolen. Perhaps the rodents AD should be on the list of suspects. 

• Applause 1