NJDuck

Recent Study Shows Oregon Ducks not as Attractive in Realignment Landscape as Fans May Think

Once you look at this list, you might be scratching your head over this one.  Maybe Tony needs to go back to the drawing board and re-think his 50 factors?

"Tony Altimore, a strategy consultant, recently ranked every FBS program by roughly 50 factors that a television executive and/or university president would find important in further hypothetical realignment. In essence, Altimore made a ranking of which teams would get “drafted” by TV networks when creating a new college football landscape."

"Setting aside the statistical mumbo jumbo, if every FBS program were put into a pot for ESPN and Fox to draft, who gets taken first and who gets taken last?" 

"I found Altimore's model to overrate California schools -- there's no way UCLA is getting taken before LSU, or Cal before Oregon -- but at the very least it's an interesting conversation driver. Or a panic-inducing one, depending on where your school falls."

"Our Analysis: Oregon at No. 27. What that’s saying is that in a draft where conferences pick which teams they want to add to their league, 26 other teams would be selected before the Ducks get picked. No chance. With the national branding, the recent and historic success in multiple sports, and the eyeballs that they draw via television ratings, there’s a zero percent chance that Oregon would be ranked this low."

"With all due respect to Altimore, I don't know if I agree with that result.  Here are teams ranked ahead of Oregon in the Big Ten."

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon’s national brand may still leave the Ducks’ lacking in further hypothetical realignment.

One thing about joining the B1G is how so many writers are exposed for knowing NOTHING about Oregon.  The time difference is real, and we could be on the MOON for all they know.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

One opinion, and doesn’t really matter as long a we’re top-50 or whatever the count of the top tier ends up being.

I think I remember something similar said about the "attractiveness" of Oregon Football regarding conference realignment after USuC and UCla's B1G move announcement.  That narrative was used to get the Ducks (and Dawgs) at half price, yet Now Duck football is being viewed as a top three team in the conference and a potential ratings "goldmine" for the B1G.

Get the chance to "prove it on the field" year after year now.  Not just once every three or four years when we just happen to have a top10 team on our schedule, but Every Year.

Facts and reality tend to rise above opinion.

Go B1G Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 2

My opinion....I do think any of these realignment scenarios ....Stanford to ACC, Washington to B1G, etc....that happened at a "discount" should have some incentive clauses just as in coaches contracts.  For example, if any of them play in a conference title game during the "discount period" maybe they should be allocated a "full share" for that season.  Or, the reduction period shaved off by one year.  The TV ratings would be more subjective, but for example, if a Penix led season created media for the B1G, then adjust for that.

I recognize the "discount" only applies to the regular media share, and doesn't apply to CFP shares, NCAA Tournament shares, but a six-year period seems too long.

I understand the B1G had precedent with Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers but they chose to ignore it for UCLA.

GIGO!

Even if No. 27 is correct, the 27th most valuable program is going to make the cut.

This and the article on the 70-team 'Super League' make me wonder if it's  April 1st and not the 4th.

It's a loooong off season.

The definition of B.S. ?

What is this? Being voted on by media only requires one factor: eye balls.

University presidents: "Academic Prowessed"

50 factors weighted in stupid ways to get the answers you want is all this article is.

Thanks for your OPINION Tony, but don't try to spin it as facts.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

27th seems about right.

Once a team in front gets chosen, they probably want no part of the Ducks!

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

I think y'all might be surprised by how many people know absolutely nothing about Oregon and Oregon football. Prior to the 21 season opener against Georgia in the Benz. a Midwesterner I know asked me who Georgia had as an opponent in the opener. When I replied Oregon, he remarked "I didn't know they played football."

Another women from Illinois who followed the B1G but nobody else, when told about Georgia's opener (she went to grad school in Athens) said "The Oregon Ducks! I never heard of the Oregon Ducks. You made that up!" C'est la vie.

• Wow 1

On 4/4/2024 at 10:32 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

I think y'all might be surprised by how many people know absolutely nothing about Oregon and Oregon football. Prior to the 21 season opener against Georgia in the Benz. a Midwesterner I know asked me who Georgia had as an opponent in the opener. When I replied Oregon, he remarked "I didn't know they played football."

Another women from Illinois who followed the B1G but nobody else, when told about Georgia's opener (she went to grad school in Athens) said "The Oregon Ducks! I never heard of the Oregon Ducks. You made that up!" C'est la vie.

I lived in Raleigh-Durham NC for four years prior to moving back to Portland in 2022. I got random “Go Ducks” almost every time I wore gear. Plenty of people were aware of us and it started quite a few random conversations at Home Depot etc. I’d say anyone that followed sports at all recognized O gear.

I think your friend was messing with you if they’re actually a sports fan… I mean unless they don’t have tv.

• Applause 1

On 4/4/2024 at 10:32 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

With all due respect to you, sir, but those people are not true college football fans.

The Oregon Ducks played in the 2011 and 2015 College Football National Championship Games. It’s unfathomable that any casual college football fan would not know who the Oregon Ducks were in this day and age, unless they have their heads so far up their arses they can’t see day light.  

• Applause 3

When I look at stuff like this all I need to remember is 10% of Americans think the earth is flat, and another 9% aren't sure. 

What I am willing to say is I will agree to disagree. My opinion the author is........

images.jpeg

• Haha 2

I don't remember an article I said BS to faster.

• Applause 2

To those who responded to my post above, you make some valid points to be sure. The people I called out in that post are obviously not college football fanatics and (thankfully) have nothing to do with rankings, seedings, etc. The point I was making, tongue in cheek I might add, is that our Ducks' web print is not as wide as many on the forum believe it is. Sorry if I bruised some egos, but I'll stick with my wider characterization. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Nevada...no sweat.  I've seen so many "analyses" of Oregon that were flat-out ignorant.  The time difference is real, and goes to show how ignored we would have continued to be in the Pac-12.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I think Oregon is viewed as "new money". Oregon prior to probably Akili Smith wasn't seen much higher than the two left behinds. Plus we still need a championship to punctuate Oregon is all grown up.

It also doesn't help that for the longest time, we didn't have that one single look. When you see Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, USC, Texas, Miami, Georgia, Tennessee , Florida State, LSU, Auburn, Florida, Alabama, Penn State, Nebraska. You recognize them.  What look do most people see and say "That's Oregon" ?

Our Feathered Wings look is awesome, but not iconic. But what's great is that in ten years, if we keep winning. It will become iconic. The Miami Hurricanes were once seen as "new money". But they earned their place with three decades of winning. They won five championships in that span. 

Give us a few years in the Big Ten, cultivate real rivalries with Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Nebraska. People in the eastern time zone will get to know Puddles very well.

I'd like an article ranking the top ten mascots, see where Puddles rates.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/6/2024 at 11:05 AM, Duckley Palace said:

'd like an article ranking the top ten mascots, see where Puddles rates.

Here are a couple articles I found ranking College Mascots.  Puddles ranked No. 1:

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

DucksWire names our favorite college mascots and of course, we all know who comes in No. 1 in our minds and hearts.

BLEACHERREPORT.COM

If you've ever attended a college football or college basketball game, the one thing that you may look for right off the bat is where each team's mascot is. Okay, maybe not the first thing, but the...

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

Friend Nevada Dawg. whether they know anything regarding Puddles flight patterns, they are college football fanatics. Their fanaticism is confined to the Superior Everywhere Conference which is most understandable both results-wise and time-zone-wise.

No one puts the Fanatic in Fan like SEC fans. CFB is not a sport, it's a Religion. A playoff game in 2024 featuring a B1G team and a to-be B1G team was simply sacrilegious. Something that could only happen in a Leap Year. 

It will take many B1G champ appearances and titles to catch up with the SEC. With Saint Nick leaving town perhaps there is a B1G chance, but your Dawgs are the No. 1 candidate to take Bama's spot. The only guy who could beat Kirby with regularity was Nick. 

• Great post! 1

On 4/5/2024 at 10:28 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

To those who responded to my post above, you make some valid points to be sure. The people I called out in that post are obviously not college football fanatics and (thankfully) have nothing to do with rankings, seedings, etc. The point I was making, tongue in cheek I might add, is that our Ducks' web print is not as wide as many on the forum believe it is. Sorry if I bruised some egos, but I'll stick with my wider characterization. 

No worries.  My ego is not bruised and I appreciate your posts on this site.

Like most on this site, I am a passionate college football fan (although troubled by the recent direction of the sport) and know all of the teams in the top football conferences (even the Vanderbilts, Rices and Northwesterns of the world…).

• Applause 1

Google Canzano:  Geeking out on the media value of Pac-12 schools. After USC and UCLA left the conference, former President of Fox Sports, Bob Thompson, who negotiated media contracts with the Big-10 and other conferences, established the relative media values of the remaining Pac-12 teams.  Oregon was clearly ahead of Cal and Stanford.  if this weren't so, Oregon and Washington would not be in the Big-10 ahead of those schools.  Clearly something wrong with the new studies' methodology. 

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/6/2024 at 8:26 AM, NJDuck said:

Here are a couple articles I found ranking College Mascots.  Puddles ranked No. 1:

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

DucksWire names our favorite college mascots and of course, we all know who comes in No. 1 in our minds and hearts.

BLEACHERREPORT.COM

If you've ever attended a college football or college basketball game, the one thing that you may look for right off the bat is where each team's mascot is. Okay, maybe not the first thing, but the...

Thanks. I can't think of a cooler image than Puddles on the motorcycle. 

That article brought up a good point though. Is Benny a mad beaver? We all know how the Beavis fans are. Puddles is a bachelor, but Benny has some darkness behind that bucktooth grin.

• Applause 1

On 4/6/2024 at 11:09 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Friend Nevada Dawg. whether they know anything regarding Puddles flight patterns, they are college football fanatics. Their fanaticism is confined to the Superior Everywhere Conference which is most understandable both results-wise and time-zone-wise.

No one puts the Fanatic in Fan like SEC fans. CFB is not a sport, it's a Religion. A playoff game in 2024 featuring a B1G team and a to-be B1G team was simply sacrilegious. Something that could only happen in a Leap Year. 

It will take many B1G champ appearances and titles to catch up with the SEC. With Saint Nick leaving town perhaps there is a B1G chance, but your Dawgs are the No. 1 candidate to take Bama's spot. The only guy who could beat Kirby with regularity was Nick. 

For a while we thought Clemson and Dabo would take that next step. Dabo has regressed with this new NIL ruling. Five years ago it was assumed Dabo would be next in line when Nick retired. The question we must ask is if there was any real interest from either side before Alabama hired DeBoer.

I don't think we'll have another run like Nick did. It's going to be too hard to win the gauntlet every year with expanded playoff. Plus roster attrition, coaches leaving for NFL gigs as it becomes harder to maintain a championship roster. You not only have to recruit new guys, but now you gotta recruit your current guys. You won't be able to stack guys like you could just five years ago. 

If you recruit an elite QB every year, chances are the guy you choose to be the guy will hold that down for two years. You'll lose the redshirt freshman, along with the true freshman during that time. The game is just getting out of control. Alabama lost their five star lineman Procter to his home State Iowa, only to get him back a few weeks later. The kid signed up officially with Iowa, just to change his mind because teenagers shockingly don't exactly have everything figured out.

I hope the powers that be find a way to put some guidelines in place. That goes for coaches as well. Coaches never honor their agreements, but get angry when players decide to do the same. Which brings me back full circle to Dabo Sweeney. A guy making close to ten million a year, he gets angry because his job got harder because of NIL and the T.P.  

On 4/7/2024 at 2:33 PM, Duckley Palace said:

For a while we thought Clemson and Dabo would take that next step. Dabo has regressed with this new NIL ruling. Five years ago it was assumed Dabo would be next in line when Nick retired. The question we must ask is if there was any real interest from either side before Alabama hired DeBoer.

I don't think we'll have another run like Nick did. It's going to be too hard to win the gauntlet every year with expanded playoff. Plus roster attrition, coaches leaving for NFL gigs as it becomes harder to maintain a championship roster. You not only have to recruit new guys, but now you gotta recruit your current guys. You won't be able to stack guys like you could just five years ago. 

If you recruit an elite QB every year, chances are the guy you choose to be the guy will hold that down for two years. You'll lose the redshirt freshman, along with the true freshman during that time. The game is just getting out of control. Alabama lost their five star lineman Procter to his home State Iowa, only to get him back a few weeks later. The kid signed up officially with Iowa, just to change his mind because teenagers shockingly don't exactly have everything figured out.

I hope the powers that be find a way to put some guidelines in place. That goes for coaches as well. Coaches never honor their agreements, but get angry when players decide to do the same. Which brings me back full circle to Dabo Sweeney. A guy making close to ten million a year, he gets angry because his job got harder because of NIL and the T.P.  

Restraint on coaches' salaries would be price fixing and unenforceable.

Restrictions on transfers in CFB will not happen until there is a players' union management can bargain with. 'Someone' has to figure out how to form and define an inclusive players' union; the easy solution would be for CFB players to join the NFL union if the NFL players are willing to accept college athletes. 'Someone' also has to figure out who makes up 'management.' 

When players become 'employees' relief may come from Congress; not before. 

On 4/7/2024 at 1:32 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Restraint on coaches' salaries would be price fixing and unenforceable.

Restrictions on transfers in CFB will not happen until there is a players' union management can bargain with. 'Someone' has to figure out how to form and define an inclusive players' union; the easy solution would be for CFB players to join the NFL union if the NFL players are willing to accept college athletes. 'Someone' also has to figure out who makes up 'management.' 

When players become 'employees' relief may come from Congress; not before. 

Getting the government involved never goes well. We already don't know where our taxes go. Well that's not entirely true. Billionaire owners apparently need tax levies to keep their businesses afloat, build stadiums etc..

What I mean by enforce is to have to honor the paper you signed. The coaches don't pay those buyouts usually. There's always some proviso involved in their new teams contract. 

But why should Dabo, Jimbo, Lincoln, or Deboer not be held to their commitment?

On 4/7/2024 at 2:18 PM, Duckley Palace said:

Getting the government involved never goes well. We already don't know where our taxes go. Well that's not entirely true. Billionaire owners apparently need tax levies to keep their businesses afloat, build stadiums etc..

What I mean by enforce is to have to honor the paper you signed. The coaches don't pay those buyouts usually. There's always some proviso involved in their new teams contract. 

But why should Dabo, Jimbo, Lincoln, or Deboer not be held to their commitment?

They are always held to their commitments in that there is a penalty (agreed to by both parties) to be paid for leaving early, I don’t recall any breach of contract ever taking place. 

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/7/2024 at 6:13 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

They are always held to their commitments in that there is a penalty (agreed to by both parties) to be paid for leaving early, I don’t recall any breach of contract ever taking place. 

The 13th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America prohibits Indentured Servitude unless a person has committed a crime. Unless you are a duly convicted or confessed criminal and in prison, you cannot be forced to work where you do not want to. This is true of coaches and players. A player may not be able to force a trade, but the player cannot be forced to play. Of course, if the coach or player simply quits they will not be paid. 

As you so note, coaching contracts provide generally for liquidated damages. Damages are paid instead of breach of contract suits. 

Contracts may include non-compete clauses but said clauses have to be limited in scope and duration. Prohibiting a coach from coaching elsewhere during the term of the contract is unenforceable. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/7/2024 at 3:13 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

I wouldn't call a financial agreement that both parties entered into voluntarily, where the party performing duties for compensation , servitude. But you are correct in that there is a buyout. It gets negotiated down usually, but yes it gets worked out. I wouldn't want to keep a guy who doesn't want to be around anymore. It's toxic.

I'm not able to put into words what my point is. Probably why I never went into marketing or law school😂

But there has always been a double standard to enforcement when it comes to amateur athletics. The coaches, institutions, and television networks could make millions. But a freshman couldn't receive a meal or board.  I find it interesting how coaches making millions could object to their players getting compensated, especially in football.

The portal needs to have guidelines though. That's my point. You and Jon have made very good points, and illustrated them better than me. College football has changed, and I'm trying to just enjoy seeing Oregon getting to that next level. Which is happening, so I'm gonna let the powers that be worry about the logistics.

Edited by Duckley Palace

On 4/7/2024 at 3:34 PM, Jon Joseph said:

The 13th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America prohibits Indentured Servitude unless a person has committed a crime. Unless you are a duly convicted or confessed criminal and in prison, you cannot be forced to work where you do not want to. This is true of coaches and players. A player may not be able to force a trade, but the player cannot be forced to play. Of course, if the coach or player simply quits they will not be paid. 

As you so note, coaching contracts provide generally for liquidated damages. Damages are paid instead of breach of contract suits. 

Contracts may include non-compete clauses but said clauses have to be limited in scope and duration. Prohibiting a coach from coaching elsewhere during the term of the contract is unenforceable. 

Very good points sir. Remember when Kirk Ferentz making four million a year was big news? The amount of money changing hands in college football is insane. It truly is becoming the NFL Lite. Just switch out transfer portal for free agency in wording.

I'm glad we have a young energetic coach. Could you imagine Joe Paterno coaching in this era?

• Thumbs Up 1