Charles Fischer

Former Rivals 5-Star Thinking of Transferring to Oregon?

In the 2022 class, he was not only a top-50 player (No. 32 on On3) but also an actual Rivals 5-Star, of which is darn hard to attain.  The No. 2 Safety in the entire class? He just entered the portal in this spring session.  I noted it in another thread assembled by NJDuck, and was surprised considering the depth of the DB room at the moment.

From ScoopDuck.com:

"Matthews is going to be one of the most highly coveted transfers in the open market this Spring. He fits what Oregon needs as well. The cherry on top is the fact he’s only a junior-to-be so he’ll have multiple year of eligibility left. As we know this one early on is Oregon and Florida State so we’ll see where it goes."

I guess if you have a shot at a talent like this--you stack them up?  

N.RIVALS.COM

Jacoby Mathews - Defensive back for Texas A&M on AggieYell

• Let’s hope! 3
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

Given the fact that we had multiple injuries to starters on defense for the Pac-12 championship game last season I say stack up as many as humanly possible.

• Applause 2

Yes, you stack these kinds of kids. The #2's are what give a team the edge. Kids get hurt and you need as little drop off as possible on game 14 on the way to the Natty. You basically want two teams on defense. Play them all, all the time

• Thumbs Up 3

Plus the special teams depth benefits by stacking dudes.

• Thumbs Up 1

He just started to begin to hit his stride as a sophomore last season. He doubled his solo tackles and was an important part of the Aggie defense. 

More talent, depth, and competition at the safety position, simple answer.

shocked-face-oh-yes-c945je915nbzz3pj.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

With a 12-team playoff, a team playing for the title, even with a 1st-round bye, will likely be playing its 16th or 17th game of the season if it reaches the champ game on 1/20/25 in Atlanta. A deep roster with quality players backing up quality players and seeing playing time is essential for any team that wants to win a Natty. 

CFB is entering new territory regarding the number of games its champion and runner-up will have to play.

• Great post! 3

The B1G's Saturday Tradition site agrees that Oregon could use a Safety.

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

The spring transfer window is officially open, and every Big Ten program is expected to be active in acquiring talent.

On 4/20/2024 at 10:34 AM, Jon Joseph said:

With a 12-team playoff, a team playing for the title, even with a 1st-round bye, will likely be playing its 16th or 17th game of the season if it reaches the champ game on 1/20/25 in Atlanta. A deep roster with quality players backing up quality players and seeing playing time is essential for any team that wants to win a Natty. 

CFB is entering new territory regarding the number of games its champion and runner-up will have to play.

This is a very forward thinking post, Jon. Come playoff time I bet this will be a topic of conversation amongst the pundits and it will be a very important element for the team which makes the final game.

You need a 5* qb ready to step in, and what an opportunity to shine. I bet elite talent will begin to see getting on a championship caliber team is critical to getting exposure, even if it is backing up a future 1st rounder.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

With the transfer portal these days, one never knows who (and when) guys might jump in; but, the three biggest names so far mentioned this spring (McClain, Williams, and Mathews) are all probably players (at least right now), who would be expected to probably spend at least two more seasons in college (with McClain being a case of not being draft eligible for two seasons).

My first thoughts on these possible portal additions are for the 2024 season; but, not really too soon to be looking at spots that likely will graduate a lot of guys (cornerback seniors Muhammad, Manning, Alexander, safety seniors Savage, Tysheem Johnson, Brandon Johnson, Reed, DL seniors Branch, Caldwell, Ware-Hudson).

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1