Charles Fischer

Bryce Boettcher to Drop Football, Focus on Baseball?

The announcer of the game, Rich Burk, dropped how he talked to a coach who believes Boettcher may just play baseball now. Bryce made a big jump on the diamond this year, and hit another homer yesterday.  He is a starter for Coach Waz, while would be a back-up for football. 

Note also he did not go back-and-forth between the Spring Game and the Baseball series in Corvallis; he was all Baseball.  Well, it would free up a football scholarship!

Bryce Boetther and Mason Neville_Elijah Moes.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Probably a smart move in terms of giving himself the best shot to play at the professional level, although I don't follow baseball closely enough to know what his MLB potential is.  His only path to playing in the NFL was most likely as a special teams ace.

On 4/29/2024 at 8:23 AM, ElPatoUO said:

I don't follow baseball closely enough to know what his MLB potential is.

I do not think he has MLB potential, but then--I did not expect this jump in improvement this year.  But at least with Baseball he is a starter who has made many Sportscenter-escue plays in center field.

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/29/2024 at 11:13 AM, Charles Fischer said:

The announcer of the game, Rich Burk, dropped how he talked to a coach who believes Boettcher may just play baseball now. Bryce made a big jump on the diamond this year, and hit another homer yesterday.  He is a starter for Coach Waz, while would be a back-up for football. 

Note also he did not go back-and-forth between the Spring Game and the Baseball series in Corvallis; he was all Baseball.  Well, it would free up a football scholarship!

Bryce Boetther and Mason Neville_Elijah Moes.jpg

This is a smart move if baseball is where his athletic future lies. Does baseball award full scholarships? 

As much as I love the local kid/dual sport storyline for BB, if he is now starting for Waz and is a major contributor, why risk a blown out ACL or separated shoulder as a 2-3rd team LB? 

While he may never get to the Show, he'll get at least a long cup of coffee in the Minors if he continues to improve. I'd rather see him going yard in Omaha than playing mop up snaps at Autzen. No one can take away what he has done already and he'll be remembered by Duck fans for quite awhile.

And I do believe that MBB offers full scholarships. 

On 4/29/2024 at 9:31 AM, Jon Joseph said:

This is a smart move if baseball is where his athletic future lies. Does baseball award full scholarships? 

Nope.  Fractions of ones...  

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/29/2024 at 9:49 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Thanks for the clarification and correction. 

If true, we would now be down to 85 players on scholarship. 

Bryce did see his playing time diminish as the season wore on last year.

I enjoyed having a 2 sport kid, but with all the competition, it must be extremely difficult to maintain. 

He had an impact early in the season but the truth is that the linebacker depth has come a long way since the start of last year. 

Last year it was Bassa and Boettcher to start the year, a surprise to both Charles and myself while at the PSU game. But once Jacobs was healthy Boettcher was outright replaced. 

He was a solid special teams contributor which will be missed. 

The football team just had too much talent and those youngsters are starting to develop into major contributors now. 

On 4/29/2024 at 9:49 AM, Charles Fischer said:

No full rides for baseball??

Had no idea.

To be more precise...

11.7 scholarships

Under NCAA rules, a Division 1 baseball team's 11.7 scholarships can be divided between a maximum of 27 players on a 39-player roster, with all players on athletic scholarship having to receive a minimum of a 25 percent scholarship. That leaves room for eight walk-ons.

Mr. FishDuck