Joe F

Is There Really a Miami Swagger, or is it Propagated by the Sports Media Who Do Not Know Much?

I thought this was interesting.  

Years ago yes... but now?

He is not the definition of SWAGGER...

Miami coach Mario Cristobal weighs in Monday afternoon

Wait...should I call another time-out?

• Haha 1
  • Applause 2

Mr. FishDuck

The old Miami swagger that was portrayed in the ESPN 30 for 30 series is long gone. I read Jimmy Johnson’s book entitled Swagger recently and he was the one who started it. His philosophy was to let the players be themselves so long as they didn’t get penalized for their actions. They rarely did. Miami was one of the least penalized teams back when they were winning championships.

However, NCAA rules and coaching changes killed their swagger. It was brought back for a short time with the hiring of Butch Davis, but Larry Coker killed it within 2 years. He had a little help from Nevin Shapiro who sunk the program with his improper gifts. They haven’t been the same since Butch Davis left. He built the 2001 championship team despite not coaching them that season. He was the last coach with a direct connection to Jimmy Johnson.

On 5/12/2024 at 3:28 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Years ago yes... but now?

He is not the definition of SWAGGER...

Miami coach Mario Cristobal weighs in Monday afternoon

Wait...should I call another time-out?

How about 'Stumble?' His climb to the top has resembled that of Sisyphus.

What exactly is there to swagger about?  The bowl loss to Rutgers? This from the guy who received the largest one-year coaching compensation in the history of CFB.

Someone call a Time Out! And Thank You Canes' boosters; boosters who must have missed the Stony Brook broadcast.  Or perhaps, the Fiesta Bowl laydown vs. Iowa State? 

It's ALL Good.

• Haha 1

Swagger and Mario just don't go together.  Sorry, but no.  

This is a very critical year for Mario.   Not saying I want him to fail in anyway.  Just saying I am glad he is gone from UO.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/13/2024 at 12:33 PM, Augduck said:

Just saying I am glad he is gone from UO.

Maimi has made my Christmas card list every year since.

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1

Miami = USC east