Steven A

Shilo Sanders Files for Bankruptcy

WWW.USATODAY.COM

The son of Colorado coach Deion Sanders' son Shilo filed for bankruptcy in October after a court in Dallas entered a $12 million judgment against him

This will be interesting as it plays out for him, others, and with the new settlement in the House case.

• Mic drop 1

How??

Wild stuff.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

He doesn't have 2 Buffalo nickels to rub together?

Being Deion's progeny does not get you off the hook when you commit Assault and Battery.

Does Deion have a receipt for the BK filing? I think there are probably better ways to Get Your Clicks, no?

• Like 1

On 5/25/2024 at 12:50 PM, Jon Joseph said:

He doesn't have 2 Buffalo nickels to rub together?

Being Deion's progeny does not get you off the hook when you commit Assault and Battery.

Does Deion have a receipt for the BK filing? I think there are probably better ways to Get Your Clicks, no?

Jon Joseph, I realize you are an attorney but probably not a BK attorney. Does filing get him off the hook for this legal judgement?

On 5/25/2024 at 3:54 PM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

Jon Joseph, I realize you are an attorney but probably not a BK attorney. Does filing get him off the hook for this legal judgement?

I represented lenders in my career so yes, I did practice BK law which goes with the territory. 

Sanders filed BK because he has a multi-million dollar civil judgment against him. Unlike government liens for the payment of back taxes, civil judgments can be reduced and eliminated in BK court as part of a debtor's plan for debt relief. The Constitution specifically allows for debtors to file BK. Why? Many of the Founders and their families before and after emigration faced the ignominy of being sent to Debtors Prison. 

Future earnings are routinely eliminated from the payment of past debts. It's a matter of public record so I can disclose that when Wayne Newton filed BK, a case I worked on, his future earnings were not available to cover our judgment. The money OJ owed to the Goldmans and Nicole Simpson's family awarded in their wrongful death suit, $33.5M, was paid in part from the sale of Simpson's Heisman Trophy, $230K, but his future earnings and accumulation of assets were exempt from judgment.  

I expect the same will happen with the Sanders case. 

Polonius's advice to his son, Laertes, in Hamlet: 'Neither a borrower nor a lender be,' is true today in part but not in whole.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 2

Ah, yes.  Polonius.  "Brevity is the soul of wit" as he drove his daughter Ophelia to ... suicide.  Complicated character whose wisdom was a bit suspect.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/25/2024 at 6:11 PM, Mudslide said:

Ah, yes.  Polonius.  "Brevity is the soul of wit" as he drove his daughter Ophelia to ... suicide.  Complicated character whose wisdom was a bit suspect.

Polonius is one of many of Willie's great blow-hard characters. The Bard had a sharp bodkin when it came to separating truth from male bovine excrement. From royalty to Falstaff.

• Applause 1

The name “Shiloh” in Hebrew means “the one to whom it belongs”.

Something went wrong in the situation of Shilo Sanders.

• Haha 1

Nothing about this is surprising to me. Feel badly for the victim and hope he gets paid.

Assault someone, blame them and then blow off court thinking there won't be consequences?

Character counts.

• Thumbs Up 2

How to turn a minor rule violation into a multi-million dollar civil law suit.

Based on his pregame antics at Autzen, it seems that the parents skipped a few lessons on self discipline. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The famous, "I didn't know" defense...

“Shilo is the honest but unfortunate debtor looking to get his fresh start in life, free from the oppressive burden of his debts, including the default judgement to the Plaintiff,” Shilo Sanders’ attorney wrote in a court filing in February.

SHEESH1

• Applause 1

The school where the assault and battery occurred is bankrupt and closed. One reason behind the school's BK was Prime Time's not coming through with a promised gift.

Thank goodness Puddles is going B1G and not B12. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1