Charles Fischer

B1G Sportswriters Give Their Preseason B1G Ranking....Hmmmm!

First of all, No. 18 is Purdue and while this was not all the B1G sportswriters, at least it is beyond the WAGs we have been getting from blog writers.  These are writers behind the predictions are who actively cover their teams.

If you’re wondering who voted:

Cleveland.com picked up the responsibility for organizing the poll when the Big Ten dropped it 14 years ago. Beat writers from all 14 Big Ten teams were invited to participate, as were some who cover the entire league or have a national perspective. A total of 26 voters participated.

I personally am surprised at where they put Penn State, and am wondering if Washington hasn't been disrespected enough?  Could Michigan State or UCLA show better?

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/22/2024 at 12:57 PM, Charles Fischer said:

First of all, No. 18 is Purdue and while this was not all the B1G sportswriters, at least it is beyond the WAGs we have been getting from blog writers.  These are writers behind the predictions are who actively cover their teams.

If you’re wondering who voted:

Cleveland.com picked up the responsibility for organizing the poll when the Big Ten dropped it 14 years ago. Beat writers from all 14 Big Ten teams were invited to participate, as were some who cover the entire league or have a national perspective. A total of 26 voters participated.

I personally am surprised at where they put Penn State, and am wondering if Washington hasn't been disrespected enough?  Could Michigan State or UCLA show better?

Thanks for the post, Charles.

I think that Penn State at No. 3 ahead of Michigan at No. 4 is a reflection of the difference in the Nittany Lions and the Wolverines' strength of schedule.

College Football News ranks Michigan with the 5th most difficult schedule and Penn State with the 14th. In 2024 Penn State will not play Michigan in the regular season in 2024. Michigan leads the series 16-10. Last season Michigan won 24-15 in Happy Valley with a strong run game. 

In 2023 in the 2nd half, Michigan rushed the ball on 32 consecutive plays.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sports Illustrated calls the media vote 'Old' B1G-centric. The Ducks deserve more respect.

WWW.SI.COM

You won't find a more Big Ten Conference-centric poll than the one released Monday. The Big Ten Football Preseason Poll from Cleveland.com has come out annually

On 7/22/2024 at 1:44 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Sports Illustrated calls the media vote 'Old' B1G-centric. The Ducks deserve more respect.

WWW.SI.COM

You won't find a more Big Ten Conference-centric poll than the one released Monday. The Big Ten Football Preseason Poll from Cleveland.com has come out annually

I don’t have any issues with Oregon being selected behind Ohio State. They will have one, if not the best, defenses in the country and are also loaded with talent. Coach Day has something to prove as a head coach (as does Dan Lanning). Oregon also seems to do better, historically, as the underdog.  

At least the regular season game is at Autzen!

• Thumbs Up 1

I think UCLA will do better than expected, in fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if they finish ahead of UW.

All looks pretty accurate to me, something tells me for 10-18 beat writers are not putting a lot of thought into it.

I think they need to swap USC and UW.

USC has the hardest SOS in D1, and they’re not that good. I could def see UCLA being better than USC.

UW will be a fighter under Fisch. I wish we played them at the beginning of the year instead of the end.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seems close enough for me. Until we beat tOSU, or Mich, or PSU, we shouldn't be picked first.

Like us, tOSU is loaded this year.

Mich and UW lost a lot of talent to the draft, and both with new coaching staffs.

UW seems hardest hit so I'm ok with their position. 

UCLA was a mess. Lost their DC to rival USuC, so until they show otherwise, like MSU, they'll need to win some games to earn love.

As for USuC, without all-star Williams at qb, how bad might they look this year. Riley is getting the attention he deserves. 

One thing for sure, it makes our schedule look very tough on the back end of that 8 games without a bye streak. According to this poll, accept for tOSU, toughest games will be last 4.

Illinois, Mich, Maryland, and Wisconsin. 

Fun times! Bring em on!!

Wow, what a season it will be.

I'm fine with the Ducks flying under the radar a bit.

Just means we get to rock the boat even more when we win it all! 

On 7/22/2024 at 9:57 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Could Michigan State or UCLA show better?

Michigan State?? Definitely!

Top 4 seem reasonable to me, though I think Penn St. and Michigan are interchangeable at their positions.

USC should be ranked lower as they're going to get steamrolled this upcoming season.  

UW is a coin flip, they just have so much roster and coaching turnover that the first half of the season will be a dumpster fire.  However the 2nd half of the season could turn around once all the new starters finally start settling into their roles and responsibilities.

On 7/22/2024 at 3:20 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

I think UCLA will do better than expected, in fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if they finish ahead of UW.

All looks pretty accurate to me, something tells me for 10-18 beat writers are not putting a lot of thought into it.

Perhaps? I think they took the vote a day early in Indy at the 'journalists' go to watering hole.

On 7/22/2024 at 4:48 PM, DanLduck said:

Seems close enough for me. Until we beat tOSU, or Mich, or PSU, we shouldn't be picked first.

Like us, tOSU is loaded this year.

Mich and UW lost a lot of talent to the draft, and both with new coaching staffs.

UW seems hardest hit so I'm ok with their position. 

UCLA was a mess. Lost their DC to rival USuC, so until they show otherwise, like MSU, they'll need to win some games to earn love.

As for USuC, without all-star Williams at qb, how bad might they look this year. Riley is getting the attention he deserves. 

One thing for sure, it makes our schedule look very tough on the back end of that 8 games without a bye streak. According to this poll, accept for tOSU, toughest games will be last 4.

Illinois, Mich, Maryland, and Wisconsin. 

Fun times! Bring em on!!

Wow, what a season it will be.

The two LA schools have brutal schedules in 2024. On every site I've seen USC has at least the 2nd strength of schedule with UCLA  not far behind.

• Thumbs Up 1