DrJacksPlaidPants

Josiah Sharma Flips to Texas

I expect this to happen many more times. Word on the street is Brame will flip to Tennessee as well. It’s all part of the game we call “recruiting”. Good thing DL has been very successful in the transfer portal.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Oregon Ducks saw 4-star defensive lineman Josiah Sharma flip his commitment on Thursday night.

So much for our massive NIL advantage!

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

This is why verbals aren't worth getting super excited about.

• Thumbs Up 3

Methinks we might be getting a major DL commitment soon.

• Let’s hope! 2

Still a long way to go until December. 

If it's about NIL we know that Division Street will get into bidding wars usually at the very end. 

If it's about relationships... Lanning has plenty of time to build them. 

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

Maybe we should stop using the word commitment. 

• Applause 1

We want student athletes who are 110% in. If they are shopping themselves around, undecided about being part of the Oregon program, then good riddance.

The game of football is like tug of war, we don't need guys watching, thinking that looks cool. We need guys who want, demand to get ahold of the rope and work as a team.

When the derecuiting process begins a guy like Sharma won't rise up. We need guys who will rise up past where they are, and past where they think they can ever be.

This one hurts.

I recall being excited when he originally committed because Oregon was finally starting to get monsters on the DLine.

He’s 6’5” and weighs 325 pounds.

My last wish for Oregon is to have a DLine resembling an SEC DLine.

Hoping more monsters are coming.

Danno will get his...

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Exactly, Doctor Jacks. 

In recruiting a 'commitment' means, "So far I really like you but there are other good-looking teams on the block and they keep showing me lots of love (and $.) 

Dan et al are doing the same. Dan poached a key recruit from LSU and will bring in other players 'committed' to another school. As the good Doctor said, 'It's all part of the game.'

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/26/2024 at 10:02 AM, Just Ducky said:

Maybe we should stop using the word commitment. 

And stop high school kids from self-promotion? What about these young men's SELF ESTEEM?  Most of these young men only change their minds when moved by the Spirit. Please, give them a break. 😁

• Haha 2

On 7/26/2024 at 7:09 AM, Haywarduck said:

If they are shopping themselves around

I think all of the recruits are shopping themselves around and I have no problem with flips.

All of the top programs have plenty of flash and cash to offer.

These are kids with dollar signs in their eyes and too many voices in their ears.

We win some and lose fewer.

• Thumbs Up 2

Not that it matters . . .

1.  Sharma looked like a Texas lock just 24 hours prior to his announcement.

2.  Sharma was rated by the 247Sports Composite as the No. 245 overall player in the 2025 class, and the No. 30 defensive lineman in the nation. He was one of the lower-rated players in Oregon’s No. 5-ranked 2025 class. 

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

They only get as much attention as we each personally choose to give them. As the adage goes, don’t hate the player…

I’m not trying to pi$$ in anyone’s cornflakes if hanging on the edge of your seat based upon the social media posts of a 17-year old kid is your hobby or job, but the cut and paste responses seen on every board at every program every time a kid flips or hits the portal should ideally be beneath us. It’s going to happen, everywhere, including to OBD. This kid probably isn’t evil and will be welcomed with open arms if he changes his mind again.

Personally, macro recruiting for me keeps me in my happy place. I get excited about names on signing day (to a degree) and in June when we know the roster for the fall. Until then it’s aggregate and nameless.

• Applause 1

On 7/26/2024 at 10:08 AM, JabbaNoBargain said:

They only get as much attention as we each personally choose to give them. As the adage goes, don’t hate the player…

I’m not trying to pi$$ in anyone’s cornflakes if hanging on the edge of your seat based upon the social media posts of a 17-year old kid is your hobby or job, but the cut and paste responses seen on every board at every program every time a kid flips or hits the portal should ideally be beneath us. It’s going to happen, everywhere, including to OBD. This kid probably isn’t evil and will be welcomed with open arms if he changes his mind again.

Personally, macro recruiting for me keeps me in my happy place. I get excited about names on signing day (to a degree) and in June when we know the roster for the fall. Until then it’s aggregate and nameless.

Good for you.

For some of us...it is part of the overall Oregon entertainment experience.  In the end...we'll be fine.

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck