Charles Fischer

Vomiting in my Mouth: They're "Committed to Resuming the Civil War Series in ALL Sports"

You all know how I feel about scheduling Beavis when they are actively stealing 30 million from Oregon over 10 years, and if all goes well for them--they still end up in a Power-Four conference?  🤮

-----------------------------------------------

From Canzano earlier today...

Scott Barnes, the athletic director at Oregon State, told me last week that he’s committed to resuming the Civil War series in all sports. AD Rob Mullens at Oregon appears to be on board, too, and they’re working together. OSU gets a quality non-conference opponent at home every other year in football. It sold the TV rights to FOX for Saturday’s game.

Oregon gets a quality non-conference opponent, too. Neither side has to get on a plane to play the game. The Civil War series works for both sides. 

I’ve spoken to both university presidents, who are working together on academic projects as well. When I asked how their relationship was last week, OSU’s Jayathi Murthy called Oregon’s John Karl Scholz: “A very decent and kind man.”  🤮

Murthy said there was a time you could get her “all worked up” about what happened last August but she’s focused on what OSU can control. Maybe everyone is being diplomatic, but I don’t hear a bunch of bad feelings at the top right now. 
----------------------------------------------------

Mullens/Scholz are SO WEAK... 

giphy.gif

Pig-2 taking from those who earned it.

• Yikes! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Apparently the Ducks and Beavis will NOT play in women's basketball this season, though the Ducks will host WSU in early December.

Here’s how I look at this strictly from the football perspective. The Duck play a FCS, G5 and P4 team every year for non-conference games. The P4 teams have typically been a home and home series (MSU, Ohio St., etc.). If Oregon can cancel all future P4 non-conference opponents and stick with Beavis then that’s a series with a very short away game every other year. That also means they play 3 non-conference home games every other year. They have to play 9 conference games, so this makes perfect sense.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't get too excited about this just yet. Of course the OSU AD wants the game, they need to fill their little stadium. 

As for Mullens, what else can he say. It's bad politics to come out and say no. No reason to irritate Salem unnecessarily. 

And believe it or not, a lot of Oregonians like the idea.

I don't see the river rats having much success down the road. Let them talk big now.

I would LOVE to see our offense get their mojo going and put up 50 this week. A perfect place to get it together. 

• Haha 1

I would prefer NOT to play OSU every year in non-conference.  It limits visits by teams from Power 4 conferences.

For example, take a look at Iowa's recent non-conference.  They play Iowa State every year non-conference.  Leads to some grumpy fans who would like to see occasional visitors such as Missouri, Kansas St, a Texas school to benefit recruiting, etc.

Many years a FCS and G5, plus Iowa State.

2024:  Illinois St, Troy

2023:  Utah St, Western Michigan

2022:  S. Dakota St, Nevada

2021:  Kent St, Colorado St

2019:  Miami (OH), Middle Tenn

2018:  N. Illinois, N. Iowa

2017:  Wyoming, N. Texas

2016:  Miami (OH), N. Dakota St

2015:  Illinois St, Pitt – the most recent year Iowa played a Power 5

Oregon

2024:  would have been Tex Tech

2023:  at Tex Tech

2022:  at Georgia, BYU

2021:  at Ohio St

2019:  at Auburn

2018:  - none

2017:  Nebraska

2016:  at Nebraska

2015:  at Mich State

2014:  Michigan State

2013:  at Virginia

2012:  - none

So, also meant to add, if the slot is always taken by Oregon State, then how does that affect recruiting in places like Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Bay Area/Sacramento.  Those areas have been sources of good players for the Ducks, and families have known they will likely see their kids come home as a visitor for games, or on TV.   I would rather see the Ducks schedule former Pac12 teams from those areas than playing OSU every season.

Iowa is similar to Oregon in lack of great high school players.  I bet the Iowa staff would rather be playing home and home with Baylor, Tex Tech, TCU, Houston than locked into a non-conference game with Iowa State.  Since they play 9 Big Ten games, then a 10th game against Iowa St, it is unreasonable to expect an 11th game with a Power 4 replacing the G5 slot.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm just one guy, but absolutely UO should play OSU every year in all sports. It's the right thing to do and it exemplifies what makes college sports great.

Not everything needs to be transactional. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 9/10/2024 at 9:09 AM, Pete said:

I'm just one guy, but absolutely UO should play OSU every year in all sports. It's the right thing to do and it exemplifies what makes college sports great.

Not everything needs to be transactional. 

I totally agree, that makes two of us!  Anyway how much longer will it be till OSU is our FCS opponent?🤣

Every year in football is just too much.   As a 10th FBS/Power4 program would rather see programs in targeted recruiting areas:  ASU, Cal/Stanford, Utah/BYU, Texas areas.

Perhaps OSU every 5 years?  Following home-and-home with 2 area targeted programs.

From the athlete perspective it's nice to have an away game that is 30 minutes away. That is all.

I prefer not to give Beavis any more $$! In fact, I will never pay to see Beavis for any reason. I will sell all my tickets to next year's I-5 Backyard Thieves game.

• Applause 1

On 9/10/2024 at 2:23 PM, HDuck said:

Every year in football is just too much.   As a 10th FBS/Power4 program would rather see programs in targeted recruiting areas:  ASU, Cal/Stanford, Utah/BYU, Texas areas.

Perhaps OSU every 5 years?  Following home-and-home with 2 area targeted programs.

But ASU is 2-0 with a win over SEC Mississippi State and Cal is 2-0 with a win at SEC Auburn. Are you sure you want to play these powerhouse programs?😁 

I'm sure you were tongue in cheek....but, "targeted recruiting areas:  ASU, Cal/Stanford, Utah/BYU, Texas areas" will continue to be a priority that needs to be met by regular games involving athletes in those areas.

On 9/10/2024 at 9:27 AM, Duckman60 said:

Anyway how much longer will it be till OSU is our FCS opponent?🤣

I'd say give it a year or two.

In 2025 the Ducks will be traveling to Chicago, NYC, Iowa City and State College, PA.  The other away game is in Seattle. Luckily, they get the OSU Cowboys and Beavis in Eugene along with Montana State to start the season. Having a bi-annual away game in Corvallis is going to be beneficial if Oregon wants to be competitive in the B1G.

Playing in the Bay Area, or a flight to Salt Lake or Phoenix is not too much more significant in travel than rambling up to Corvallis.   Plus, you have the benefit of contacts in the West for recruiting.  The Ducks garner nothing by playing in Corvallis.  Now, if the Beavis falls to FCS status, and takes the place of an FCS opponent, so the Ducks can still schedule a 10th opponent from a major conference, it might work.  But, having the Beavis take the annual slot away from playing a major opponent home-and-home just does not feel good.

Going undefeated is no longer a necessity. I would love an early season B1G vs SEC scheduling block that could help determine playoff seeding later on. Kind of like the B1G/ACC challenge in basketball.

Imagine Oregon vs Alabama, Oregon vs LSU, Oregon vs Florida, Oregon vs Texas, Oregon vs Oklahoma. But sure Civil War fans, Oregon vs Beavis is a win win because ..... Miles. I'm gonna ask Oklahoma fans how much they are going to miss playing Oklahoma State. 

On 9/10/2024 at 10:17 PM, HDuck said:

Playing in the Bay Area, or a flight to Salt Lake or Phoenix is not too much more significant in travel than rambling up to Corvallis.   Plus, you have the benefit of contacts in the West for recruiting.  The Ducks garner nothing by playing in Corvallis.  Now, if the Beavis falls to FCS status, and takes the place of an FCS opponent, so the Ducks can still schedule a 10th opponent from a major conference, it might work.  But, having the Beavis take the annual slot away from playing a major opponent home-and-home just does not feel good.

Traveling to SLC or PHX is way more significant. It requires a bus ride to the airport, a flight and a hotel stay. The bus rides, loading and unloading, security checks, stress of flight, driving to a field to have a Friday walk-through, strange beds and different meals all play a factor.  Playing in Corvallis requires a 45 minute bus ride.

Recruiting has changed so much with the addition of the transfer portal, social media and the Ducks camp circuit. Oregon has 10 players from Texas, but they haven't been to Dallas for 5 years. That trip to Lubbock sure didn't move the needle on recruiting. The only benefit of those trips to the Bay Area, PHX or SLC is the coaches can stay back and visit some recruits rather than making an extra trip. I say put the stress on the coaches instead of the student/athletes.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/11/2024 at 8:06 AM, Duckley Palace said:

Going undefeated is no longer a necessity. I would love an early season B1G vs SEC scheduling block that could help determine playoff seeding later on. Kind of like the B1G/ACC challenge in basketball.

Imagine Oregon vs Alabama, Oregon vs LSU, Oregon vs Florida, Oregon vs Texas, Oregon vs Oklahoma. But sure Civil War fans, Oregon vs Beavis is a win win because ..... Miles. I'm gonna ask Oklahoma fans how much they are going to miss playing Oklahoma State. 

All of these match-ups you mention could happen in the playoffs. I'm quite confident that if you polled the student/athletes they would choose an extra weekend at home. These long road trips aren't easy and they don't care if the fans want to see them play Alabama or LSU in non-conference games.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

When Oregon "unscheduled" Tex Tech and moved the Boise State game (giving BSU more money) so OSU would have a home game this season, it was a charitable mistake.

Likewise, it would be a charitable mistake to keep them on the schedule every year.

In future years when there will be four Big Ten home games instead of 5, the Ducks will need another home game to go along with their program of FCS and G5 home games.  I just hope we don't have to endure seeing Beavis every season in that slot when there are so many more attractive opponents for home-and-home.

The routine of traveling to the Bay Area or Phoenix, or Salt Lake, is not significant in comparison to a "bus ride."   It helps attract kids from those areas, and helps in maintaining contacts with area high school coaches.

• Great post! 1

On 9/11/2024 at 11:23 AM, HDuck said:

When Oregon "unscheduled" Tex Tech and moved the Boise State game (giving BSU more money) so OSU would have a home game this season, it was a charitable mistake.

Likewise, it would be a charitable mistake to keep them on the schedule every year.

In future years when there will be four Big Ten home games instead of 5, the Ducks will need another home game to go along with their program of FCS and G5 home games.  I just hope we don't have to endure seeing Beavis every season in that slot when there are so many more attractive opponents for home-and-home.

The routine of traveling to the Bay Area or Phoenix, or Salt Lake, is not significant in comparison to a "bus ride."   It helps attract kids from those areas, and helps in maintaining contacts with area high school coaches.

AMEN! You need to play at least 7 home games every season and as you noted, every other season beginning in 2025 the Ducks will play 5 B1G games on the road. 

Wazzu and Oregon State are G5 teams masquerading as kind of P4 and a-half teams until the money they took from Pac-10 suckers runs out. The 2 have burned their bridges with the Mountain West. 

No one east of Pullman gives a whip about the Pac-2.  Oregon would have defeated P4 Texas Tech at home. $6 to $8M will be lost by Lane County by adding this away game to the schedule sending the Ducks and Ducks fans into a snake pit of venom. 

Rob gets a lot of slack with the hire of Danno but his scheduling savvy is deficient. This from a man who chaired the Playoff Committee. In 2028 Rob has OBD scheduled to play a game in Logan, Utah. 😒 

If we have to do this in Football every year, then if I am Mullens, I refuse to play in Corvallis ever again.

You want it, come to Autzen.

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I appreciate the RESPECTFUL diversity of opinion on this topic.  I'm sure Charles agrees.

I do think it points out that there is not an overwhelming majority who believe the non-conference Civil War should be retained at all costs.  Nor, a majority to ditch it.

I would just hate to see Oregon trapped into an annual game at the expense of the potential of seeing other Power 4 programs inside Autzen.

Oklahoma St and Oklahoma are not currently scheduled to play since OU is going to the SEC.   OSU instead has Oregon, Arkansas, Nebraska and Alabama taking that slot.  And, unlike Oregon, Okie State doesn't have to worry as much about scheduling for proximity to recruiting territories.  Those two are a bus ride 80 miles apart in Okie Land.

UW has WSU scheduled through 2028.  Then in 2029-30, they have a home-and-home with Tennessee.  To me, it would make a better schedule to have WSU in 2029-30, and other Power 4 opponents in 2025-28.  I think UW may have allowed itself to get caught in the "sympathy trap."

Once Oregon starts making 10-12 hour round trips for road games they will realize that they need 3 home (or near home) non-conference games. The conferences realigned, so schedules will change.

I think we will see the games in Stillwater and Logan get dropped and replaced with somebody more suitable to Oregon's needs.

I see Beavis filling those voids. Possibly Cal since they have openings on their schedule for those two years.  With conference realignment, home/home series need to be mutually beneficial. UT and AZ schools have expanded to playing in TX, CO, etc. What's the benefit of coming to Eugene? None, zero nada. UGA and A&M figured this out a long time ago.

On the other hand, Cal and Stanford need all the West Coast games they can get.

I would like to see Oregon's recruiting philosophy evolve with their move to the B1G. What I mean by this is keep recruiting the Bay Area, AZ and Utah as needed but expand to large metro areas in the B1G footprint. Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore, DC, Philly, NY/NJ, etc. should be recruited just as hard as Los Angeles.

If you look at Ohio State's roster they have over 40 scholarship players from outside the B1G footprint. The majority of their players from within the B1G footprint are OL, DL and LB's. Many of their skill guys come from the South or West.

As a general rule, Oregon should get the best players they can out of LA, PHX, SLC, SEA and the Bay Area. But don't settle for undersized front seven guys. Get them where they grow them. They're in Oregon's recruiting footprint now. The PAC 10/12's lack of a national championship since 2005 should tell them something.  They should recruit the West out of need and not convenience.

With Oregon's brand and the backing of Nike, they can make this happen.

• Great post! 1

Fun facts:

If we reschedule to play the Beavers in 2026, we will play all three OSU schools in a single season. Probably a first and not something we thought we'd ever see.

Depending on the playoffs, we could spend a third of our season playing OSU (5 times out of 15 games). It would be fun to beat OSU 5 times in a single season!

Haha.