FishDuck Article

Oregon Ducks Football: 3 Things We Need to See vs OSU

Our Oregon Ducks football program has a big rivalry week ahead (way earlier than usual, mind you).  I believe this week and the bye week will determine what this team is capable of for the rest of the season. The Ducks have some serious issues that need to be fixed, but those issues are fortunately complemented by a ton of ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Our Oregon Ducks football program has a big rivalry week ahead (way earlier than usual, mind you). I believe this week and the bye week will...
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks Alex for your article.....

To me you covered those critical areas and steps that the Ducks need to take and improve on to beat the rodents.

The only thought i might add is to take control of the game in the fist half. Win the last 4 minutes of the first half by putting points on the board. Force them to play from behind.

Then control the first 4 minutes of the second half. Create scoreboard separation.

OBD's played a near perfect 3rd quarter against BSU. Blanking the Broncos while putting up 14. Momentum was all on the Ducks side, they were driving down the field to take a 2 score lead. Then the PH fumble.

Seconds later BSU ties the game and then the DG fumble. A few plays later, BSU takes the lead.

Alex this supports one of your keys about not making mistakes. In just a matter of a few minutes, on the clock, mistakes allowed BSU to get the lead.

Let's not give the rodents any help.Talent wise the Ducks should win by 17-21 points. However talent doesn't always win games....

60 minutes of execution by that talent wins games.

This Duck fan is hoping that the team puts it all together for 60 minutes in Corvallis. Comes back to Eugene with a big win.

GO DUCKS.........

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Agree with everything you wrote, Alex. Basically, the Ducks need to play this game like they're 6-0, against a markedly inferior opponent. It's on the Beavs home field, but OBD needs to show the Beavs they don't belong on it against them. Winning the "middle 8" is crucial, but the other 52 are just as crucial in this game.

The Beavs aren't bullies, but smacking them in the face, with 3 and outs, sacks, turnovers will have them reeling and take the crowd out of the game. Nothing is more satisfying to a team than playing a quiet road game. 

Alex, I'm on board for 1 & 3.  2 will take care of itself with good D.

And speaking of 2, I wouldn't mind a close game again, since that lets us know, our excrement still stinks, and we should not get too high on ourselves.

Keep grinding and get somewhat better each week.

I think talent wise we should win by 30+.

But motivation and discipline closes the gap to near zero.

Nice article. I'd add one more crucial point: Win the Oregon vs Oregon battle. Ultimately, this has been their downfall the last two weeks.

Drive killing penalties and turnovers throughout both games continuously attempted to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

One step forward and two steps back rinse and repeat is how you find yourself in a nail biter against inferior foes. This week I think some field leaders need to emerge to steady the ship in turbulent waters.

• Thumbs Up 1

All good points. I'd elaborate a bit on the "Zero Sacks" goal. Some of that is on Gabriel; he needs to be quicker to release the ball in some instances. Perhaps more importantly to me, the offensive line needs to make considerable improvement over last week's progress with their run blocking. Jordan James did a great job of breaking to the outside when there wasn't any space between the blockers to run, but that's not going to be enough against the better teams the Ducks will be facing. I sure didn't expect to be pining for the gaping holes in the defensive line that our stellar offensive line made so reliably the last several years. 

I'm still optimistic that the Ducks will find their groove and take over the game, like we all presumed would happen in our first two games. The time remaining for the Ducks to find their mojo is running short. I have faith that Lanning will get the team to show up and be the dominant group we know they're capable of being.

Go Ducks!

So many great points Alex, and something else that has to factor into this game?  Dan Lanning has lost at Reser before....

Coaches, Game Face_Screenshot from Peacock Sports Video.jpg

He will have his game-face on, and the team ready!

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I'll be watching 3rd down conversions very closely.  Seeing a 50+ percent conversion rate will tell me that the run and pass protection efforts are better and with fewer penalties.  I don't expect perfection just incremental progress from the OL and that'll be enough to win in Corvallis.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Thanks. Alex. 

One thing I want to see, Gabe LEADING the team. Get in an OLs face if he allows a sack. Run the ball yourself if the opportunity presents itself. 

84% completions when passing is great but not if doesn't lead to scores. I'd rather see a lesser percentage and more Bird Bombs. Also, if the TEs and WRs are not finishing their blocks, get on their butts. 

I have yet to see on-field leadership assert itself from any position. Gabe is laid back. He needs to get his back up and lead as do other players with experience like Fergie, Burch, and the two OTs. It's time to turn passive into aggressive against a group of Beavs with their hair on fire. Is there any doubt that Saturday's game is Oregon State's 2024 Super Bowl? 

Coaches can only do so much. A team needs leaders on the field. 

On 9/11/2024 at 3:09 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Get in an OLs face if he allows a sack. Run the ball yourself if the opportunity presents itself. 

Interesting, first one is definitely not Marcus, or Justin. Second one was Marcus all the time and eventually Justin. Bo might have gotten in a OL's face if he allowed a sack, but it happened so rarely, not necessary.

• Thumbs Up 2

Great points Alex, thank you!  As usual, the great minds on this forum think alike!

In addition to turnovers, the Duck D needs to force Beavus into lots of 3 & outs.  While reducing their ToP, it will give OBD plenty of punt return opportunities (which are fun to watch).

Next, we must reduce, if not eliminate, the penalties. We cannot afford to keep shooting ourselves in the foot!

I agree we cannot allow sacks to DG, but our O line needs to blow open some holes for the running game.  That will not only add to our ToP, it will soften them up for some Duck Bombs!

If OBD can play to the standard, we will get the 3rd down conversions (along with 1st and 2nd down conversions) that will allow us to own not just the middle 8, but the entire game.

Go Ducks!

On 9/11/2024 at 7:46 PM, 30Duck said:

Interesting, first one is definitely not Marcus, or Justin. Second one was Marcus all the time and eventually Justin. Bo might have gotten in a OL's face if he allowed a sack, but it happened so rarely, not necessary.

He could also pull a Peyton Manning and send him to the sidelines. 

• Thumbs Up 1