HDuck

B1G Teams Who Dislike Friday Games

The new Nebraska AD was complaining today about last Friday night's game hosting Illinois.  Apparently, Nebraska canceled classes for the day, there were traffic issues, yadda yadda.  So, he was complaining that he really didn't want to have a Friday game except the day after Thanksgiving (only in odd numbered years).  In the past, Ohio State, Penn State and Iowa have expressed their "reluctance" in having Friday night home games, but willingness to play on the road.   Michigan has indicated it will refuse to play home or away on Friday nights.

This season Oregon is hosting Michigan State on a Friday, and playing at Purdue on a Friday.

Aug. 30 - W. Michigan at Wisconsin
Sep. 6 - W. Illinois at Indiana, Duke at Northwestern
Sep. 20 - Illinois at Nebraska - Illini win by 7 in overtime
Sep. 27 - UWa at Rutgers
Oct. 4 - Michigan St at Oregon
Oct. 11 - Northwestern at Maryland
Oct. 18 - Oregon at Purdue - short week after Ohio St game
Oct. 25 - Rutgers at USC
Nov. 8 - Iowa at UCLA
Nov. 15 - UCLA at UWa - back to back Fridays for Bruins
Nov. 22 - Purdue at Michigan St
Nov. 29 - Nebraska at Iowa, Minnesota at Wisconsin

2 - Oregon
2 - Washington
2 - UCLA
1 - USC
2 - Wisconsin, Nebraska, Northwestern, Rutgers, Michigan St, Purdue, Iowa
1 - Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Minnesota
0 - Michigan, Ohio St, Penn St

I like Friday games, in particular because you have the potential of an incredibly massive audience watching your team.

I do not know what the numbers were, but I have to think there was a pretty good audience for that Illinois and Nebraska game.

I am much more open to a Friday game, then I am an 8 o’clock start at home on a Saturday night!

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

If you don't like playing on Friday night, please return the Money to CBS, FOX, and NBC and ask for an invite to the Scrap 12.

11 PM KO Eastern vs. UCLA  is part of the B1G deal. And as Charles so noted, Illinois at Nebraska drew better viewer numbers than if squeezed in on Saturday. 

• Mic drop 1

Like many parents with young children, I right now love night games. I get the kids to bed and I get sit down with a nice cup of tea (I have UK citizenship along with US citizenship so... tea while watching American football feels like a perfect mesh) and then get to mutter to myself about every single play whether it is good or bad.

Sounds like a wonderful evening!

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/24/2024 at 9:57 PM, David Marsh said:

I right now love night games. 

Put the wife to bed and watch without interruptions.

• Haha 2
  • Like 1

I-5 south traffic from PDX to Eugene on any Friday afternoon is bad…add game day traffic…and it will be a parking lot. 

Late games are definitely for TV viewers. I travel from PDX for games. Late kick offs are fine, but a steady diet of late games gets old fast if you have to travel.

On 9/24/2024 at 11:49 PM, Jon Joseph said:

If you don't like playing on Friday night, please return the Money to CBS, FOX, and NBC

This. I don’t understand why some teams don’t have to play on Friday night but others do. 

However, I feel like the Saturday night games were bait and switch, as I remember reading somewhere that the four West coast teams wouldn’t have to play late night games on Saturday in the B1G.  

Edited by OregonDucks

On 9/24/2024 at 9:08 PM, HDuck said:

Oct. 18 - Oregon at Purdue - short week after Ohio St game

Playing Purdue as soon as possible is a good thing.

On 9/25/2024 at 5:10 AM, OregonDucks said:

However, I feel like the Saturday night games were bait and switch, as I remember reading somewhere that the four West coast teams wouldn’t have to play late night games on Saturday in the B1G.  

That was certainly my hope. Should've known better.

all times Eastern

4.21M viewers - Illinois at Nebraska - Fox 8:00 Friday - No. 3 overall last weekend

3.64M viewers - Baylor at Colorado - Fox 8:00 Saturday - No. 5 overall last weekend

452,000 - Purdue at Oregon St - The CW - 8:30 Saturday

2.82 million - Oregon at Oregon St - Fox - 3:30 Saturday

???? - Oregon St at San Diego St - CBSN - which is not part of the weekly ratings

381,000 - Idaho St at Oregon St - The CW - 6:30 Saturday

542,000 - San Jose St at WSU - The CW - 10:00 Friday - the highest rated CW game (Pac or ACC) this season

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wow!

The difference in ratings between the B1G and Big-12 games versus anything with the G-5 teams?  Whew!

Thank you HDuck, as that tells the entire story of why the Scrap-12 will never be more than just a new G-6 team.

And we lose money playing them versus a P-4 opponent!

Oregon football finds balance in statement win over Oregon State

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/25/2024 at 12:17 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Wow!

The difference in ratings between the B1G and Big-12 games versus anything with the G-5 teams?  Whew!

Thank you HDuck, as that tells the entire story of why the Scrap-12 will never be more than just a new G-6 team.

And we lose money playing them versus a P-4 opponent!

Oregon football finds balance in statement win over Oregon State

And Lane County and small business people lose $6-8M when you give up a home game vs a P4 opponent to play folks who called you everything including a red-headed stepchild. 

Is someone, anyone, in the Athletics Department looking at the bottom line? A road game at "Pac-7" Utah State? And 4 games vs B12 opponents with no connection whatsoever to OBD. One game in Waco is not going to convince a recruit from Texas to play ball for Oregon. OK State and its horror show stadium in Stillwater? Why? Because Rob met the Bears and Cowboys ADs when he was on the PO Committee? 

Making room for H+H series with Cal and Stanford makes sense. Tripping to Oklahoma and Texas when you are doing enough B1G tripping is senseless. And Logan, Utah for a game?

Money Matters. (DUH!) Especially if the House settlement is approved.