The Kamikaze Kid

Wow. What a Game. Wow. Just Wow.

So many unbelievable plays in one game and in a game of this magnitude. I just want to take a moment to reflect on a few.

Basa's first quarter interception was beautiful and should have been reviewed.

Harmon's steal of the ball on the next drive was Lawrence Taylor level domination.

On the failed extra point, the tOSU player was sailing towards the end zone with the ball. The only thing that stopped him was Sadiq caught up to him and disrupted his path just enough for the other guys to make the stop and save a precious two points from being scored. 

Stewart dragging a defender an extra twenty five yards on a 69 yard reception. Yes. Oh yes!

The Holden spitting disqualification, no man, Just no!

Dodge ball onside kick, absolutely brilliant play call and execution. 

On the failed fourth and goal, I wonder if Gabriel didn't look at an open Tez because the route was too similar to the goal line interceptions from the previous week.

Oregon's final drive gobbled up about four minutes of clock and forced tOSU to use two precious time outs.

Lanning absolutely out coached Day on tOSU's final drive. Intentional penalty to steal a last play from the Buckeye's? That is next level coaching and saved the win.

Autzen just put itself on the map as THE stadium to fear.

What an awesome game.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 4
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/13/2024 at 11:56 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

So many unbelievable plays in one game and in a game of this magnitude. I just want to take a moment to reflect on a few.

Basa's first quarter interception was beautiful and should have been reviewed.

Harmon's steal of the ball on the next drive was Lawrence Taylor level domination.

On the failed extra point, the tOSU player was sailing towards the end zone with the ball. The only thing that stopped him was Sadiq caught up to him and disrupted his path just enough for the other guys to make the stop and save a precious two points from being scored. 

Stewart dragging a defender an extra twenty five yards on a 69 yard reception. Yes. Oh yes!

The Holden spitting disqualification, no man, Just no!

Dodge ball onside kick, absolutely brilliant play call and execution. 

On the failed fourth and goal, I wonder if Gabriel didn't look at an open Tez because the route was too similar to the goal line interceptions from the previous week.

Oregon's final drive gobbled up about four minutes of clock and forced tOSU to use two precious time outs.

Lanning absolutely out coached Day on tOSU's final drive. Intentional penalty to steal a last play from the Buckeye's? That is next level coaching and saved the win.

Autzen just put itself on the map as THE stadium to fear.

What an awesome game.

Great post!  There are so many individual plays that go into a win like that.  Kudos to the coaches and players.  I heard that Oregon only had 3 penalties and no turnovers.  Great time to play clean football.

It seemed to me that DG was intentionally looking for other receivers against Ohio State.  Not sure if Ohio State was doubling Tez or the coaches had a conversation with DG that he cannot lock onto Tez and needs to go through his progressions.  You'd think that Tez would have been option #1 on that play since he went in motion but I would like to hear others' thoughts.

Overall, DG played a great game - hitting some big time throws, making plays when we needed them, not turning over the ball and orchestrating a drive to take the go ahead field goal.  It's a lot easier to spot the open receivers high up in the stands or on TV when you don't have 300 lb. monsters coming at you...

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thumbs Up 1

As they say, and it is said to easily, that game is an Instant Classic. You hit the big plays, Kamikaze, and there wasn't a dull moment. I hope the B1G Network has the 60 minute format for replays. Gabriel isn't big , but he was B!G enough to lead the team to for now the biggest regular season win for OBD in history. 

All of this done with Burch not playing. Evan Stewart had a fantastic game, Jordan James won't ever have breakaway speed, but as Anthony Newman puts it, "that guy is a beast!" Smith & Egbuka are great WR's, but Smith's biggest play was the OPI.

Howard's, "Oregon didn't beat us, necessarily" now zoooms to the top of pathetic postgame comments from the losing quarterbacks. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the scariest thing about the Ducks in this game is that they were far from perfect and still won. They left many points on the field and the refs gifted the Buckeyes their first TD and still came away with the victory. I don't recall the Ducks winning a game of this magnitude without an A+ performance. With all the mistakes, this was B+ or A- at best and they still got it done. Unbelievable.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 10/13/2024 at 10:32 AM, 30Duck said:

As they say, and it is said to easily, that game is an Instant Classic. You hit the big plays, Kamikaze, and there wasn't a dull moment. I hope the B1G Network has the 60 minute format for replays. Gabriel isn't big , but he was B!G enough to lead the team to for now the biggest regular season win for OBD in history. 

All of this done with Burch not playing. Evan Stewart had a fantastic game, Jordan James won't ever have breakaway speed, but as Anthony Newman puts it, "that guy is a beast!" Smith & Egbuka are great WR's, but Smith's biggest play was the OPI.

Howard's, "Oregon didn't beat us, necessarily" now zoooms to the top of pathetic postgame comments from the losing quarterbacks. 

Howard and Jameis Winston can now both talk about how the game could have gone either way.

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1

Howard's, "Oregon didn't beat us, necessarily" now zoooms to the top of pathetic postgame comments from the losing quarterbacks

Nowhere close to "It could have gone either way" when it was a total blow out. 

Howard's quote is close to "It could have gone either way". If he would have said that, he would have been right.

On 10/13/2024 at 12:23 PM, Jon Sousa said:

Nowhere close to "It could have gone either way" when it was a total blow out. 

Howard's quote is close to "It could have gone either way". If he would have said that, he would have been right.

I see Winston's comment as nonsensical. On the other hand, to me, Howard's was a player on the losing team unwilling to give credit to the team that won. Much worse in my book. 

Edited by 30Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

As they say, and it is said to easily, that game is an Instant Classic. You hit the big plays, Kamikaze, and there wasn't a dull moment. I hope the B1G Network has the 60 minute format for replays. 

They do indeed on B1G Network and the editing is better than what Pac-12 used to do. Taping it right now.

What's amazing to me is that we won after leaving so many points on the field!

And DG was great with his deep throws but was off a bit on crossing routes and drop offs to running backs.

Any other day he makes those.

I was impressed by how stout the defense played. All aspects. And without Burch!

There is no doubt for non Duck fans now that we belong in the Natty conversation. 

If and when we play tOSU next time, I think we will need all our points.

On 10/13/2024 at 12:31 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

Taping it right now.

Thanks, I saw they did a while ago, recording it too. 

On 10/13/2024 at 12:35 PM, DanLduck said:

If and when we play tOSU next time, I think we will need all our points.

And hopefully win that one with the top defensive player in the game. 

• Thumbs Up 2

The Autzen atmosphere lived up to it’s reputation. Loud and a place that top teams try to avoid. Crowd was crazy loud. 

Both teams played with poise, with the exception of Holden’s flagrant. 

The Ducks have a big bullseye painted on their jerseys with that win. Still a lot of games left on the schedule and everyone wants to spoil our season. 

60 minute version on BigTen Network:

1:00 pm on Sunday

Midnight on Sunday

4:00 am on Tuesday

One of the very best sporting events I've ever seen. Games like that are why I watch sports; total distraction from the real world, and entry into another, unscripted universe where anything can happen.

• Like 1

"Basa's first quarter interception was beautiful and should have been reviewed."

Oregon could have called a time out and asked for review... Live and learn.

It might have made a difference in the game. The Duck D was playing with pride last night, and maybe a bit more fire after that play.

Looking back, Oregon had multiple opportunities to create even more of a spread in the final outcome.

Play clean, if there is a rematch, and it could be a blowout, especially if the Duck D is healthy.

Both teams have work to do!