Ktmguy2018

The "Other" Former Pac-12 Teams

I am still basking in the glow of this incredible, STATEMENT win that OBD delivered to the entire world of college football.  "Instant classic" is the phrase I see being bounced around in the national media.  

It is a credit to the Duck program and Dan Lanning that there isn't as much shock at the win as there is "Yeah, this is what were expecting to see from the Ducks".  

Clearly, the consensus is that OBD belong and and they have no ceiling.

Alas, the performance of the other former Pac-12 may lead the B1G commissioners to ask for a Mulligan!  

UCLA is 0-4 in conference, 1-5 overall

USC is 1-3 in conference, 3-3 overall

Washington is 2-2 in conference, 4-3 overall

All three are in the bottom half of the conference and none are ranked nationally.   

If you peruse the fan forums of these teams (except for UCLA, haven't found any fans yet), they are looking to blame their lack of success on anything from the travel, to the refs (apparently the B1G refs suck more than Pac-12 refs when you lose), to moon phases, and whatever else they can fathom.  

The bottom line is that these three teams are just not good.  They lack the level of talent in all phases to compete at the higher level.  They may have some incredible skill position guys but as OBD proved, it takes those guys all across the board to compete!

But let's lay the blame where it belongs.  The coaching.  Fisch is NOT the guy for Washington, but who else is gonna go there?  Foster is in over his head at UCLA, but he should get another year at least.  My thoughts on Riley are pretty easy to find on this forum.  Until these teams get a guy like DL, their success will be limited.  

But don't take my word for it.  Take the word of a USC fan watching Penn State come roaring back to beat the Trojans:

Screenshot_20241013-095838.thumb.png.31f55ee24b6f91759b371f2ee49d1c49.png

Edited by Ktmguy2018
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/13/2024 at 9:59 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

UCLA is 0-4 in conference, 1-5 overall

USC is 1-3 in conference, 3-3 overall

And it's because of these two losses that we're in the B1G. 

Neither would be at the bottom of this year's Pac-12. 

Granted if the Pac-12 was around this year it'd be garbage. 

Well two of them are around this year and their pretty bad. 

But let's lay the blame where it belongs.  The coaching.  Fisch is NOT the guy for Washington, but who else is gonna go there?

I think Fisch is doing better than expected... Not by Husky standards but their expectation is 12-0 every year. 

Washington has a completely depleted roster and are a full rebuild. Fisch also arrived very late in the recruiting cycle so his first actual recruiting year is this year. 

So we'll have to wait and see on them. 

But Oregon should destroy them this year. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/13/2024 at 10:14 AM, David Marsh said:

I think Fisch is doing better than expected... Not by Husky standards but their expectation is 12-0 every year.

Fisch took a few years, but had Arizona on a solid trajectory. He took over UW after a majority of their team left. I think he’ll do well there within a few years. But I’m also expecting another long Duck win streak!

On 10/13/2024 at 11:59 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

"Instant classic" is the phrase I see being bounced around in the national media.  

It was a terrific football game, even for those with no stakes in the game.  Just like the regular season game last year at UW - a close game that went back and forth, with a few key stops by the defense. I'm just glad that Oregon finally prevailed this time!

Coach Lanning was brilliant. Make the right calls, was aggressive but also took the points, when necessary (or tried to take the points on the missed FG).

Fisch is NOT the guy for Washington,

I will politely disagree.  What he did at Arizona is a coaching miracle, as they were horrible and he got them up into the top 15?  Given time at Washington, he will be concerning for us, IMHO.  As it is, he assembled a much better team than I thought he could considering how nearly all the starters left.

I am not going to trash on other coaches too much, as I want the bad ones to stay!  Meanwhile I am loving what we are building at Oregon...

• Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

SUC: Another loss, another excuse.

fuskies: Did I tell you about last year?

UCLA: Wait. There was a game?

• Great post! 1

On 10/13/2024 at 3:59 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I am not going to trash on other coaches too much, as I want the bad ones to stay!  

LOL.  Does one such coach reside in the Los Angeles area and last name rhymes with "wiley", by chance?

College Football Coach of the Year? Dilly is certainly in the running. ASU was roundly picked to finish last in the B12 and has one loss year to date. 

5-1 with the latest win coming against the Utes with Rising at the helm. 

Not sure I agree. USC was extremely close to making it 3 huge wins for the old PAC teams against the historically top 3 teams in the B1G. If USC would have beaten Penn State then it would have completed the trifecta of tOSU, Michigan, and Penn State losing to the “soft” teams from the PAC in a two week span. 

I agree with Charles. I think Fisch is a great fit at UW and he hired two bright young minds in Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick's sons. 

This is a brand new UW team. Shaky on the road but a good win over Michigan in Seattle. The QB he recruited from the portal, Will Rogers is legit as is true frosh QB Demond Williams, Jr. 

I'm hoping the job at Fisch's alma mammy Florida opens so he will head for the SEC where he coached under Steve Spurrier. Foster may well be over his head but if Fisch sticks around UW will not be an easy out. 

SC had the lead in the 4th Q at Michigan and Minnesota and the Coli against Penn State. Riley is a great QB coach and an OC but without the roster advantage he had at Oklahoma, he will not succeed as a head coach in the B1G. A+M boosters, where It Just Means More, are wealthy and crazy enough to buy out Dumbo, er, Jimbo. I think Riley will be with Troy for at least one more year. Which is nice. 😁

On 10/13/2024 at 2:36 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Coli

I think you mean the eColi based upon usc's crappy play.

• Haha 2