Jon Joseph

We Hired Lincoln Riley, You HIred Dan Who?

How's that Lincoln Riley Hire Working Out?

TROJANSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

USC and Oklahoma fans have battled for three years since Lincoln Riley left. It turns out the joke is on both sides. The Trojans and Sooners are both miserable.

Meanwhile, in Norman, Venables is not the love of the fans who would like him to leave the Sooner the better. (Anyone who looked at OK's 2024 schedule with the least bit of objectivity knew this wouldn't be a Top-25 team.)

How's letting Gabe go for the young stud riding the bench working out? 😁

Mater kids are no longer Deiing to play for SC. How can this be? Oregon outrecruiting the TROJANS! Isn't this illegal? 😒

At Trojans Wire, we have the solution. Hire 73-year-old Pete Carroll as the SC CEO. No doubt Pete will still be a dynamo, lean mean recruiting machine.  And $10M for OC Riley? Is that too much to ask for?

UNSpooled at USC. 😍

Gabe knows that it's Hawaii 5-0 in Eugene. "Book 'Em Danno!"👌👌👌

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Mic drop 2
  • Applause 1
  • Like 2

JJ, you sure know how to PUNnish them!

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

MISERY LOVES COMPANY.

TROJANSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

USC hoped to be a College Football Playoff team in 2024. Ole Miss was expected to be a playoff team. Lane Kiffin has failed even more than Lincoln Riley has.

FISHDUCK.COM

It has been absolutely delightful as Duck fans to watch USC’s problems, not only this year but over more than a decade at this...

I love USC tears... they just make me so happy. Especially when you think they would have LOST THEIR MINDS if the AD hired Dan Lanning. 

I wonder who they hire next for the LA job... and who'll be dumb enough to take it. 

• Applause 1

On 10/15/2024 at 10:35 AM, David Marsh said:

I wonder who they hire next for the LA job... and who'll be dumb enough to take it. 

That's it. Clay Helton didn't get hired because he stood out in the crowd of high level candidates. He got it because he was raising his arm and jumping in the empty room and the teacher called on him. As this season goes on, Colin Cowherd & Joel Klatt will think it's a great job. But other than the head coach at the College of the Redwoods, what coach is going to see the USC coach as a step up?

• Haha 1

On 10/15/2024 at 10:47 AM, 30Duck said:

what coach is going to see the USC coach as a step up?

Pete Carroll maybe ... it feels like he is almost positioning himself for a return. 

But I don't think that would be a good hire. The recruiting requirements today are far more strenuous than they used to be. It's a younger man's game in that regard. 

Also USC doesn't have as much of a recruiting advantage when everyone is allowed to pay players. 

• Great post! 1

On 10/15/2024 at 8:58 AM, Jon Joseph said:

How's that Lincoln Riley Hire Working Out?

TROJANSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

USC and Oklahoma fans have battled for three years since Lincoln Riley left. It turns out the joke is on both sides. The Trojans and Sooners are both miserable.

Meanwhile, in Norman, Venables is not the love of the fans who would like him to leave the Sooner the better. (Anyone who looked at OK's 2024 schedule with the least bit of objectivity knew this wouldn't be a Top-25 team.)

How's letting Gabe go for the young stud riding the bench working out? 😁

Mater kids are no longer Deiing to play for SC. How can this be? Oregon outrecruiting the TROJANS! Isn't this illegal? 😒

At Trojans Wire, we have the solution. Hire 73-year-old Pete Carroll as the SC CEO. No doubt Pete will still be a dynamo, lean mean recruiting machine.  And $10M for OC Riley? Is that too much to ask for?

UNSpooled at USC. 😍

Gabe knows that it's Hawaii 5-0 in Eugene. "Book 'Em Danno!"👌👌👌

That article is hilarious, blaming Dan Lanning as the cause of USC's and Oklahoma's ills.  As if it's his fault Lincoln can't recruit linemen or that Venables pushed Gabriel out the door.  🤦‍♂️

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/15/2024 at 10:57 AM, David Marsh said:

Pete Carroll maybe ... it feels like he is almost positioning himself for a return. 

But I don't think that would be a good hire. The recruiting requirements today are far more strenuous than they used to be. It's a younger man's game in that regard. 

Also USC doesn't have as much of a recruiting advantage when everyone is allowed to pay players. 

I also wonder if today's high school kids even recognize the name.  He's been out of the college ranks for a long time and even out of the NFL for more than a year.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/15/2024 at 10:59 AM, kirklandduck said:

That article is hilarious, blaming Dan Lanning as the cause of USC's and Oklahoma's ills.

USC and Washington can't help it, Oregon is to blame for everything, and other school's will soon be believers to. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The truth of the matter is that USC and Oklahoma, both instigators in the college football conference realignment, weren't ready for their new conferences. If Riley had stayed at Oklahoma the Sooners would still be floundering in SEC play, though they'd be scoring more points but probably not playing defense. 

Oklahoma and USC were better in their smaller fishbowls of the Big 12 and Pac-12 respectively. I think USC would be a solid No.2 team this year in the Old Pac-12. Oklahoma would probably be bowl eligible at least in the Old Big 12.  

• Thumbs Up 1

For a large segment of the USC world, fans and sports writers alike, it's still 2005. The intervening (nearly) 20 years simply haven't happened. To them, USC is still the greatest, the dream school for players and coaches, a magnet, and always a force to be reckoned with.

To the reality-based community, it's puzzling.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/15/2024 at 12:02 PM, jrw said:

For a large segment of the USC world, fans and sports writers alike, it's still 2005. The intervening (nearly) 20 years simply haven't happened. To them, USC is still the greatest, the dream school for players and coaches, a magnet, and always a force to be reckoned with.

To the reality-based community, it's puzzling.

I would argue that that influence is waning given the number of high school recruits leaving Southern Cali the last 5-10 years for Oregon, Alabama, Ohio St, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/15/2024 at 12:02 PM, jrw said:

For a large segment of the USC world, fans and sports writers alike, it's still 2005. The intervening (nearly) 20 years simply haven't happened.

image.png.4cf5303c5828c255475edf10f76d8e48.png

• Haha 2

Just looked at the sidebar of the Trojanwire, ROFL...🤣

This may be hard to see, so just head over there yourself and check it out.   6 straight articles critical of Riley!

image.png.ba4b7a41aaa3e7828adf47098e8c92db.png

Edited by DuckFan93
  • Wow 1

As we bask in the afterglow of last week's big win, and ponder why so many in the media seem confused that Oregon is really "that good", it occurred to me as to why.

There are too many old timers doing sports. Retired players, former coaches, many who have been doing it for 25, 30, even 40 years!

Think about it, how long has tOSU been a powerhouse football program? Or Penn St.? Michigan?

Their whole lives. 40 - 60 years!

We at OBD agree, we weren't very good in the 70's or 80's. But we've been one of the best the past 25. All current players in CFB or high-school have known Oregon to be good their entire lives.

But not the sports writers, broadcasters.

Add to that the incredible Dan Lanning, accompanied with NIL support, best facilities and excellent coaching, why wouldn't every kid want to play at Oregon. 

Lanning is working his tail off, and we are finally seeing the fruits on the field and with recruits. He really is an amazing young man.

Btw, the first branch of his coaching tree, ASU head coach Kenny Dillingham has his team 5-1 in their new conference BIG12. Surprising all the pundits. Proving once again DL knows how to pick em.

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I wish Keith Jackson was still here instead of Pat McAfee. But at 77 I am most certainly not in the targeted demographic group. 😒

The Portal and NIL seem to be bringing more parity to CFB. It's not as was predicted by many, just the rich getting richer. You can't just sit back and expect the Usual Suspects to remain Usual. 

B1G halfway COY, Curt Cignetti at Indiana, brought in over 30 new players, many from his former school James Madison, and others from the G5. But every guy he brought in from the G5 was at least Honorable Mention the year before transferring.

Looking at Indy's remaining schedule, if the Hoosiers get by the Huskers on Saturday, I see a decent shot at Indiana going 11-1 with the only 'sure loss' at Ohio State. 

• Applause 1

On 10/15/2024 at 2:08 PM, DanLduck said:

As we bask in the afterglow of last week's big win, and ponder why so many in the media seem confused that Oregon is really "that good", it occurred to me as to why.

There are too many old timers doing sports. Retired players, former coaches, many who have been doing it for 25, 30, even 40 years!

Think about it, how long has tOSU been a powerhouse football program? Or Penn St.? Michigan?

Their whole lives. 40 - 60 years!

We at OBD agree, we weren't very good in the 70's or 80's. But we've been one of the best the past 25. All current players in CFB or high-school have known Oregon to be good their entire lives.

But not the sports writers, broadcasters.

Add to that the incredible Dan Lanning, accompanied with NIL support, best facilities and excellent coaching, why wouldn't every kid want to play at Oregon. 

Lanning is working his tail off, and we are finally seeing the fruits on the field and with recruits. He really is an amazing young man.

Btw, the first branch of his coaching tree, ASU head coach Kenny Dillingham has his team 5-1 in their new conference BIG12. Surprising all the pundits. Proving once again DL knows how to pick em.

This is a great post.  I think there is a lot of truth to this.  A lot of the older generation fans of these programs are still stuck on and convinced that tradition means more than anything, including the people running them. 

However, ask the younger generation about “tradition” and they will just laugh at you.  The world is changing faster than ever.  Their culture is change, innovation and adoption.  Oregon checks all those boxes right now.  

On the topic of USC:

USC is the definition of a “has-been” program.  They are the equivalent of the Sears catalog trying complete with Amazon.  The thought within that program and among the fans is that USC was the best, so they should always be the best.  

But in reality, USC is stale and tired to the people that matter - recruits and players.  From their garbage stadium, to their plain tired jerseys with no names on the back, to the “Hollywood” scene (which is no longer that cool), to their annoying stories about the glory days when everyone wore leather helmets; they are moving backwards faster than most people realize. 

USC has a program issue.  They refuse to change and they are slowly becoming the Sears catalog of college football.  It’s like watching a car crash.  

Just take a look at what Sarkisian, Kiffin, and Helton are doing right now with their respective programs. Even Orgeron won a few games in 2019 😂,  

They can fire Riley, but it won’t matter who they bring in to replace him.  The entire attitude around the program is the issue.  Until that changes, they are going to continue to slip. 

Now compare that to Oregon, where the culture has inspired coaches to succeed through innovation, adoption, program improvements, and change.  Every head coach that has left this program since Rich Brooks, has never been able to find even remotely similar success other places. 

The people in charge of USC can’t see this, and I hope they never do.  

Edited by GeotechDuck
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On the other hand. Here's some good context on Danno, Day, + I hate to say it, Lincoln.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Day dropped to 2-6 in games against top-five teams with the loss to Oregon on Saturday

This article also gives good insight into the 2X zone travel problems. Many underdogs are traveling 2X to take an expected loss. 

USC, you still SUC.

On 10/15/2024 at 2:44 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I wish Keith Jackson was still here instead of Pat McAfee. But at 77 I am most certainly not in the targeted demographic group. 😒

The Portal and NIL seem to be bringing more parity to CFB. It's not as was predicted by many, just the rich getting richer. You can't just sit back and expect the Usual Suspects to remain Usual. 

B1G halfway COY, Curt Cignetti at Indiana, brought in over 30 new players, many from his former school James Madison, and others from the G5. But every guy he brought in from the G5 was at least Honorable Mention the year before transferring.

Looking at Indy's remaining schedule, if the Hoosiers get by the Huskers on Saturday, I see a decent shot at Indiana going 11-1 with the only 'sure loss' at Ohio State. 

You have to be impressed with what Indy's doing and how they went about it.  They went the unconventional route to get a bunch of players and formed them into a pretty solid team.

• Thumbs Up 1