FishDuck Article

Are There Some B1G Regrets?

We are at the halfway point of the 2024 season and this new era of college football. The B1G added four West Coast teams to the league this season, and there are some clear winners in this conference expansion. The Oregon Ducks are flying high after their win over Ohio State, and the media executives at Fox and NBC couldn’t ...

FISHDUCK.COM

We are at the halfway point of the 2024 season and this new era of college football. The B1G added four West Coast teams to the league this...
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

The season is only halfway over.  If Oregon tanks, like after the 2021 Ohio State game, it was for naught. Coach Lanning and the team have to stick with the process (i.e., Oregon vs. Oregon, playing to the standard) and see where we end up at the end of the season.  

That said, Ohio State certainly won't like it, if Oregon comes into the B1G and starts challenging them on a yearly basis.  There are some other B1G teams that have been near the top of the pecking order and everyone may take a step back.  It's a great time to be a Duck!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2

UCLA is a basketball school, and it will do better there than the football team is doing, but for the last few years, UCLA has been a softball school. We know that part of USC's move to the B1G was to get away from Oregon. But, darn if Oregon didn't show up! Joel Klatt said that USC is a couple of plays from being undefeated. Matt Leinart, is that what you want to hear?

But Ohio State isn't happy at all.

0-3 against Michigan, the winningest team of all time, now 0-2 against Oregon? What's going on? The Buckeyes weren't only beat by Oregon, they were beat up by Oregon, in the trenches, and in the air. Oregon averaged 7.8 yards per snap, and at the end their WR got called on his poster move and their QB didn't go down fast enough.

New blood, green blood, has taken over the B1G.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

My impression is that the true blue-bloods, of Michigan and Ohio State were fine with our arrival, but others such as Wisconsin, Iowa and even Penn State were not excited that we could knock them all down one more place in the rankings.

But now we have torqued off the ultimate Blue-Blood; isn't it sweet?  The Volleyball team is No. 11 in the nation and doing well, and other sports should fare just fine.

My Biggest Surprise?

The officiating is every bit as bad or worse than the Pac-12, and I did not think that was possible.  USC has lost two of their three games on holding or interference that were blatant, and not called.  It happened to Washington last weekend, and we were certainly hosed with Ohio State getting a touchdown after we had intercepted the ball.  This is going to be a REAL problem IMHO.

So, if we can create frustration for them--let's do it!

• Salute 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/17/2024 at 9:16 AM, Charles Fischer said:

My Biggest Surprise?

The officiating is every bit as bad or worse than the Pac-12, and I did not think that was possible.  USC has lost two of their three games on holding or interference that were blatant, and not called.  It happened to Washington last weekend, and we were certainly hosed with Ohio State getting a touchdown after we had intercepted the ball.  This is going to be a REAL problem IMHO.

Biggest difference is that the B1G refs are at least consistent from game-to-game. 

The Pac-12 refs were often all over the place from squad to squad. 

The other element we see less of is replays. The Pac-12 refs seemed to slow down play to a crawl at times as they constantly wanted to review plays. The B1G refs should probably slow down just a bit, looking at that interception, but at least the game flow feels more viewer friendly. 

• Applause 1

SUCLA sings the blues.

• Applause 1

Personally I'm loving the poetic justice in the LA teams becoming cellar dwellers in the B1G.  

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1

No matter what conference they ended up in, to me it feels like every former PAC team is doing just about exactly what they’ve been doing the last 15 years.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/17/2024 at 9:40 AM, David Marsh said:

Biggest difference is that the B1G refs are at least consistent from game-to-game. 

The Pac-12 refs were often all over the place from squad to squad. 

The other element we see less of is replays. The Pac-12 refs seemed to slow down play to a crawl at times as they constantly wanted to review plays. The B1G refs should probably slow down just a bit, looking at that interception, but at least the game flow feels more viewer friendly. 

Not only were the Pac-12 refs all over the place, they routinely called PI or holding on marginal calls. B1G lets them hand fight or lets some holding go uncalled however, they miss a lot of blatant obvious fouls. Unless the jersey is stretched out for a yard behind a player... that is not holding. As far as PI, it is OK to tackle the receiver before the ball gets there or for the receiver to hold the DB by the collar.

I too thought we would get better referring in the B1G...NOT!

Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption
I planned each charted course
Each careful step along the byway
And more, much more than this
I did it my way. Dan Lanning does it his way.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Wait until you see how differently the games are called in Big Ten basketball.   The Ducks better be spending time in the weight room.

On 10/17/2024 at 10:55 AM, HDuck said:

Wait until you see how differently the games are called in Big Ten basketball.   The Ducks better be spending time in the weight room.

Honestly looking forward to this, I prefer to watch that brand of basketball, far too often you'll see Pac-12 refs just whistle ever little ticky-tack contact.  

Ultimately, Lanning was right: the B1G is going to have to adjust to Oregon. They let a wolf into the conference thinking it was sheep and now they’re paying for it.

BEST Darn sentences in the WHOLE article.

Let's Go Quackers!

On 10/17/2024 at 6:19 AM, 30Duck said:

We know that part of USC's move to the B1G was to get away from Oregon. But, darn if Oregon didn't show up! Joel Klatt said that USC is a couple of plays from being undefeated. Matt Leinart, is that what you want to hear?

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to repost this video! 🤣

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 2