UtahDuck

How Accurate is Lake on the Recruiting Differences between Oregon and Washington?

So clearly I wasn't the only one perplexed by Lakes comments on recruiting but I wanted to see if he was even remotely accurate. I gathered all this information from 247 I am sure some of it could be off but for now i am viewing it as subjectively accurate. also as note I wish i picked the previous recruiting class as this one is currently unfinished but i was halfway through when i made that determination.

so far in the 2022 class UW has made 79 total offers. of the 79 commits oregon offered 52 of them as well. that is a clip of 65%. now as far as who have these recruits have committed too. the breakdown is as follows

Oregon 8

USC 2

Ohio state 1

Notre Dame 3

Stan 2

BC 1

UW 3

UCLA 2

Tex 2

Cal 1

TA&M 2

OK 1 

Indiana 1

Clearly oregon is pulling the largest portion of offers from UW. On top of this I wanted to evaluate the 27 offers that oregon didn't offer. of those 27 they average ~5 pac 12 offers. UW has done significantly better at recruiting these players. with 7 commits. 

To date in this class I think not only are the two schools competing but that oregon is winning handedly. this isn't to say UW doesn't have a shot to jump up especially with about 25 of the players still uncommitted but I don't see that happening. 

On a final note if you are going to brag about something it needs to be backed up coherently. You can't brag about your academic prowess and but together a sentence that is almost gibberish. 

• Thumbs Up 3

It is interesting, Lake pretty much said Oregon kids are dumb, yet he is recruiting the same kids as we are.  He doesn't want people to look at the product on the field.

• Thumbs Up 2

For the 2022 Recruiting Class according to Rivals, the Ducks are No. 7 and the Huskies are....wait-for-it....No. 67, just barely behind Appalachian State and Arkansas State.

For last year's 2021 Recruiting Class: Oregon No. 3 and Washington No. 30!

It is pretty routine to see that the majority of players signed by Oregon last year had offers from Washington as well.

Byron Cardwell scores_Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

As Kirby Smart, the football coach of the Georgia Bulldogs said yesterday, recruiting is the most important component relative to the success of a college football team. It trumps even coaching in importance because it's a lot easier to coach up a player with great physical skills and talent. The more talent you have, the more the coaches look like geniuses.

There are many things about Mario Cristobal that drive me crazy at times, but the one way that he is superior to any other coach in the history of Oregon football is his understanding of the importance of recruiting. Recruiting is his top priority, and the emphasis he puts on it is paying off this season with so many key players injured.

I'm not worried about what Lake said about Washington in comparison to Oregon in the area of recruiting. I graduated from the College of Education at the University of Oregon and the education I received there served me well through my 38 year teaching career. The only thing that truly matters when comparing Oregon football to Washington football will be the scoreboard at the end of the game.

Edited by latracey
  • Thumbs Up 2

I just hope this motivates the Ducks, and we literally demolish them, payback for the 70-21 in Eugene, I'd like to see 73-13 or 73-10.  Finally, we will beat the spread when favored this year.  Hey, maybe this is the motivation we need to make my wild predictions come true, just once this year.  Ted Bundy was a huskie.

I received a Bio-chem degree from UofO.

All of my coworkers MUST have a science degree just to start. They come from all over the US from all schools. Trust me, these "academic ratings" are make believe. 

But reality on the football field will set in Saturday for Lake. 

In my field anyway, bio-medicine, UW is world class.  As a city Eugene just can't compete with Seattle regarding bio-medicine because of its size and lack of research institutions and teaching hospitals.  That said, the UO punches well above its weight academically in many fields, including basic and applied sciences.  My view is that the UO is the place for the best combination of high quality education yet low pressure, not to mention football too.

As for Lake's comment "in our world we battle more academically prowess teams", that really speaks for itself.  Consider the source.

Edited by Otis Day
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 2:31 PM, Otis Day said:

In my field anyway, bio-medicine, UW is world class.  As a city Eugene just can't compete with Seattle regarding bio-medicine because of its size and lack of research institutions and teaching hospitals.  That said, the UO punches well above its weight academically in many fields, including basic and applied sciences.  My view is that the UO is the place for the best combination of high quality education yet low pressure, not to mention football too.

As for Lake's comment "in our world we battle more academically prowess teams", that really speaks for itself.  Consider the source.

I don't look down on the university itself, UW is a top academic public university. I won't dispute that. Their certainly is a benefit of being a large public university in a large city, in a state that has emphasized their higher education for years. With all that said their football team is not very good right now, they have a an overtly high sense of worth that is certainly undeserved and if you are the head coach of such program please don't put out a sentence so nonsensical that you just embarrass yourself.(I'll note that I often have grammatical errors in my comments/posts but I also don't represent a top university.) 

also of note is that all of these teams are competing at the same time, for the same people. there are about 1,000 top athletes in the nation(5,4 and high 3 stars) and certainly their may be some limitation(GPA and testing) in who is recruited to the top(academic) schools but those same kids can also go to any school they chose so pretending that oregon isn't out their and capable of poaching players from stanford, notre dame or uw is both asinine and uninformed. it isn't like recruiting has come together and said if you are 3.9 gpa with 1500 SAT you can only go the list of 15 schools. If i remember correctly Thibs had an 3.8 gpa from oaks christian which is a private school with some pretty rigorous standards just to attend. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Lake is talking out of his backside. UW follows roughly the same standards as everyone else - NCAA standards.  Maybe they get more medical science or tech types on account of proximity to Seattle — but every school had its specialization. All recruiting the same high schoolers.

To be charitable, maybe he was trying to say something like “our engineering kids will use AI to defeat the Ducks”, but it came out all wrong.

Besides, Stanford already did that!

The only artificial intelligence on display at Stanford was from those refs.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oregon Health Sciences University was a subsidiary of the University of Oregon, at one time.

Oregon also had an engineering department.

The state of Oregon dictates what each school is allowed to offer, and spun off those programs at some point in the past.

We already flipped 2 dawgs Mels and Roberts this year and didn't Tumalalo come from Seattle and it was between us and tOSU no Huskies

When you don’t have a leg to stand on, it’s best to just keep your mouth shut. Jimmy Lake doesn’t seem to get that. He reminds me sometimes of an old Mose Allison lyric, “your mind is on vacation and your mouth is working overtime.”

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/2/2021 at 10:10 AM, latracey said:

As Kirby Smart, the football coach of the Georgia Bulldogs said yesterday, recruiting is the most important component relative to the success of a college football team. It trumps even coaching in importance because it's a lot easier to coach up a player with great physical skills and talent. The more talent you have, the more the coaches look like geniuses.

There are many things about Mario Cristobal that drive me crazy at times, but the one way that he is superior to any other coach in the history of Oregon football is his understanding of the importance of recruiting. Recruiting is his top priority, and the emphasis he puts on it is paying off this season with so many key players injured.

I'm not worried about what Lake said about Washington in comparison to Oregon in the area of recruiting. I graduated from the College of Education at the University of Oregon and the education I received there served me well through my 38 year teaching career. The only thing that truly matters when comparing Oregon football to Washington football will be the scoreboard at the end of the game.

I also believe Mario recruits quality of character, not just good ballers. Aside from the airsoft incident, we have had no serious issues with players.

That is good recruiting. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/2/2021 at 9:05 AM, UtahDuck said:

So clearly I wasn't the only one perplexed by Lakes comments on recruiting but I wanted to see if he was even remotely accurate. I gathered all this information from 247 I am sure some of it could be off but for now i am viewing it as subjectively accurate. also as note I wish i picked the previous recruiting class as this one is currently unfinished but i was halfway through when i made that determination.

so far in the 2022 class UW has made 79 total offers. of the 79 commits oregon offered 52 of them as well. that is a clip of 65%. now as far as who have these recruits have committed too. the breakdown is as follows

Oregon 8

USC 2

Ohio state 1

Notre Dame 3

Stan 2

BC 1

UW 3

UCLA 2

Tex 2

Cal 1

TA&M 2

OK 1 

Indiana 1

Clearly oregon is pulling the largest portion of offers from UW. On top of this I wanted to evaluate the 27 offers that oregon didn't offer. of those 27 they average ~5 pac 12 offers. UW has done significantly better at recruiting these players. with 7 commits. 

To date in this class I think not only are the two schools competing but that oregon is winning handedly. this isn't to say UW doesn't have a shot to jump up especially with about 25 of the players still uncommitted but I don't see that happening. 

On a final note if you are going to brag about something it needs to be backed up coherently. You can't brag about your academic prowess and but together a sentence that is almost gibberish. 

That was quite possibly the dumbest thing yet that Jimmy Fake has come up with and he's had a few of them. It belittled all the recruits that chose Oregon as if to say they weren't intelligent at all. So I'm reading it the first time and actually laughing because if I'm playing Football for Oregon right now I'm offended so I'm gonna show you on the field. If that's not bulliten board material then what is it. I hope they beat them senseless Saturday.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lastly uw is hanging their hat on their research component of the university, right? This because their football team isn't good, their men have never won a NCAA Championship, 'claimed a couple,' but never have the men won a single NCAA championship in anything. The women have won a few, the women have even won the boxing title, who wears the pants, you ask?

Also the University of Oregon has a new Science building, well not really a building, it is the only thing named after Penny and Phil Knight and cost over $1 billion. So the academic 'prowess' they hang their hat on is tenuous as best. If you aren't aware of this most amazing donation, so far, to the University of Oregon, check it out.

https://accelerate.uoregon.edu/sites/accelerate1.uoregon.edu/files/updated_knight_campus_fact_sheet.pdf

Jimmy Lake can recruit all the Sheldon Cooper’s and Howard Wolowicz’s he wants. We’ll keep going after the Kayvon Thibadeaux’s and Noah Sewell’s. 

• Haha 1