Charles Fischer

Coach DeRuyter Explains WSU Looks and Oregon's Challenge

I do NOT like the feel of this at all....

Dangerous Cougars Offense Will Test Oregon's Secondary in Potential Trap Game by Don Smalley of Ducks Wire

USATSI_17029012.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Mr. FishDuck

It seems like Borghi has been there forever, and holding a WSU QB to 176 passing yards seems ridiculous...except it's been done, on average, 3 times already this season. How that was done, and Borghi didn't compensate on the ground, seems to be the key to beating the Cougs, Defending WSU seems to be the more difficult chore, but Oregon is averaging more points per game than Washington State. 

I don't see this game as a trap.  The coaches and players know the history between the Ducks and Cougars and they all saw what the Cougars did to ASU.  Throw in the facts that this is for the lead in the North and a spot in the final four is at stake the team will be ready.  Of course, they are a bunch of 18 to 23 year olds.....

• Thumbs Up 1

AMEN! Play man-to-man? How about no. Do this and WSU will kill you with its crossing patterns. I want to see lots of 3-1-7 playing an underneath zone with a deep safety. The 1, Noah Sewell is responsible for spying on and blowing up, Borghi.

One nice thing about the article, the WSU QB has been pressured and sacked often this season. So yeah, mix it up. But playing a whole lot of man to man coverage against this O is asking for trouble.

• Like 1

VDBTRD,

You think the Ducks have found who they are, now?  I will be more confident when I see Oregon plays consistent beyond just the W's.  Oregon's to lose though.  Winning bad, does not guarantee a spot in the CFP.  Winning strong will.  I could be wrong but the CFP Committee choosing Michigan over Michigan State, tells me, looks matter.

Sounds like Coach DeRuyter understands the Coug offense well enough to have a defensive game plan.

I doubt that he gave the plan away in the interview.

I suspect the Ducks D will be fine on Saturday.  I hope the O shows up.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 7:49 PM, Jon Joseph said:

AMEN! Play man-to-man? How about no. Do this and WSU will kill you with its crossing patterns. I want to see lots of 3-1-7 playing an underneath zone with a deep safety. The 1, Noah Sewell is responsible for spying on and blowing up, Borghi.

One nice thing about the article, the WSU QB has been pressured and sacked often this season. So yeah, mix it up. But playing a whole lot of man to man coverage against this O is asking for trouble.

My brain says coach DeRuyter is "setting up" what he really plans to do.

KT needs to pad his numbers.

Tomorrow night will be a good place to do so!

The big thing we all need to remember here is that Leach is NOT the coach at WSU. They do actually run the ball. 

Does that make them an easy team? No... But it makes them a less weird team.

Leach and the air raid offense is designed to be a bit gimmicky. If you have lots of time to prep for it, it has been shut down... See most of Leach's bowl game performances. However, on a short prep schedule it is very difficult to prep for a team that throws it 80 times a game. 

This WSU team isn't playing that way. Again... Won't be easy but their scheme is something a bit easier for Oregon to deal with. 

My fear level is a 7 or 10 right now ... It would be a 10 if this was a Mike Leach team. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/11/2021 at 3:36 PM, DuckHeart said:

I don't see this game as a trap

i agree. everyone from inside the program is saying this is one of, if not THE toughest teams for dux to beat. this really is a playoff game.