Charles Fischer

WSU HC: "Jayden Couldn't Get His Feet Set"

(From Oregon Athletics Press Release)

Question:  On if there was an emphasis on defending Kayvon Thibodeaux?

COACH DICKERT: "Absolutely. We were obviously in a lot of open sets. We slid to him, chipped him, and  had the back working to his side in extra protection. They did a good job, sometimes they would slide him inside; they would stand him up and move him to different spots so you didn’t know where he was. He’s the best player in America. He’s going to get his a little bit and we’ve got to try and neutralize that, because they’ve got a couple of other people that can rush the passer as well. We did a good job on our plan. Sometimes he out-executed even the chip and the double-team. Those are the ways we tried to attack him."

Question:  On the efficiency of the deep drop back vs. the quick drop back for Jayden de Laura?

COACH DICKERT: "There were times when Jayden (de Laura) couldn’t get his feet set and couldn’t let routes develop. He was having to get the ball and scramble or try to create plays based off of pressure. We were never able to get quit in rhythm in the deep pass game and take the shots that we hopped we could come in and take during the game.

I give our guys a lot of credit, they battled through it facing some different looks. That’s a heck of a front seven defensively, obviously I think they’re the best in our league. There wasn’t a whole bunch of things I thought we could’ve done better; we just have to give him a little bit more time to set his feet and throw the ball."

My friends, I think those quotes above say a ton about the defensive game-plan by Coach DeRuyter...

Kayvon Thibodeaux_Craig Strobeck.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I notice he didnt mention all the times KT was held by the Cougs.

I like his, I give up, lay down, instead of getting smashed by Thibs. You always hear about qb's staying in the pocket, throwing at the last second, taking the hit, not de Laura.

Jayden could have been a dawg or a cat laying on the field like that, I suppose the dawgs lay down in the end zone.

Da Laura was gassed at the end. But he's a baller.

A GREAT foe to help this D continue to refine their craft.

Enjoying the defensive in game adjustments by TD and his troops. The kittens O had no answer in the 2nd half.

In retrospect the kittens D had no answer either.

Great team effort in all 3 phases.

Enjoy the victory Ducks. It's a new season this week.

Beat the Utes. 1-0......

On 11/14/2021 at 4:57 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

I notice he didnt mention all the times KT was held by the Cougs.

The holding was out of control. A replay show KT being held by the throat on one play.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/14/2021 at 8:37 AM, jrw said:

The holding was out of control. A replay show KT being held by the throat on one play.

On several plays... on some of those plays where they got the edge there were some holds that weren't on KT. It is very difficult to shed a blocker when they are holding.

Credit to the Ducks for not letting that beat them. Though... if they were called think of how many of those positive plays would have been called back and then gone for negative penalty yards.

I appreciated not having a billion flags in the game... but at the same time.. when I can easily see stuff like holding, especially with ESPN's cheap footage... it would be nice for those to be called.