Duck 1972

Altitude?

Is the difference between the Pac in the valley having a disadvantage in playing at sea level and then playing in Arizona, Utah and Colorado. If so wouldn't it be in our leagues interest to go to 14 team 2 division league.

All we would need is 2 more teams like Boise State and BYU. Then we would just have the championship game at a neutral site.

What do you think? Or am I making something out of nothing.

I don't know if it's true, but I've heard that if you are just in and out in a couple of days that the altitude doesn't bother you, but if you stay 3 or 4 days it would start to bother you.

I personally don't think it's a big deal... if it was a huge deal they could arrive a few days early to acclimate although I recall some studies on bike races saying if you can't acclimate it's best to just show up as close to start time as possible.  Anywho I've lived between sea level and 9700 ft, I don't think 4100 is going to make or break the game.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 2:28 PM, Annie said:

I don't know if it's true, but I've heard that if you are just in and out in a couple of days that the altitude doesn't bother you, but if you stay 3 or 4 days it would start to bother you.

My understanding is the opposite.  I do a lot of high Sierra backpacking and the longer I am at altitude, then less shortness of breath I deal with.  Also, big mountain climbing, Everest for example, the climbers go up a few thousand feet for a night, and then back down, rinse and repeat.

I think people play way to much into the effects of altitude. The NBA which is a much faster pace game with way less players only has a .2 difference per 1,000 feet of elevation. So in those regards Denver has about a 1 point advantage playing in new orleans. 

It is much harder to get these types of metrics when you only play 12-15 games in a season. The reality is football is by far a much slower paced game, because of the running clock most games can be filtered down to only about 15-20 minutes of actual game time. With that only 7-10 minutes are for offense(or defense) the effects of altitude can almost be negated.

I'd be willing to bet that due to these factors altitude is probably an advantage of .2 points a game if not less and that the average 5 star has pull on the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

So what about my idea of adding 2 teams, having Coast and Mountain divisions and championship game in neutral site?

When it comes to the altitude it's all about the attitude, and all that information Utah Duck posted.

• Haha 1

On 11/19/2021 at 3:44 PM, Duck 1972 said:

So what about my idea of adding 2 teams, having Coast and Mountain divisions and championship game in neutral site?

I think it stems to your other question first that Altitude and its effects are essentially a wash that they don't affect the pac 12.

Due to that adding 2 teams that most likely will be revenue takers not adders really doesn't make sense. 

AS for a neutral site, I hate having the neutral site game, nothing like watching the pac 12 championship and the stadium is a 1/4 full. What the conference should do is that the division with the best record(against the other division) gets the home game advantage. so as it Sits the north currently has a 10-8 lead over the south if this maintained and the north won 13-11 the pac north would get the home field advantage.(this is just personal preference of mine as I don't like the idea of the best record because maybe one team gets a really easy inconference draw and one division is just pathetic. 

Example for this is what if USC when 7-2 in conference but the south went and played 22-2. At the same time the north is a bloodbath and the top three teams have an equal record of 6-3 and it moves to tie breakers. I would say the north absolutely deserves the homefield. 

As a completely different note, I'd argue that the state of AZ and the heat is a much bigger advantage in the early season than altitude.

I Like your idea fo for championship game in fact the first year or so we did that. We played UCLA and won it. As far as the heat of Arizona I should have included it. I think that's why we play night games there

I live in the valley(160 ft) have a place in Sunriver (4200), frequently visit Denver (5300).  
A well conditioned college football player should be fine. The only problem could be on defense if Utah runs a hurry up.  
The longer you are at altitude the better you will be as a conditioned body will acclimate.  The key is to drink lots of water.  And I mean lots.  If you don’t drink enough you’ll have headaches and be lethargic.  

I'll take ATTITUDE over Altitude.

• Thumbs Up 1

The effects of gravity on the approximately 1 lb football means AB will be able to throw further.

I'm guessing about 21 yards, instead of 20.

Could be the difference in the game!!!

• Haha 1

It is like the refs, an excuse you can't let effect the game. 

Agree drink lots of water, and fortunately we don't play hurry up too often. These are well conditioned athletes, not weekend warriors trying to run a marathon at altitude.

I will admit Cardwell might looked gassed after a couple of his long runs. His teammates can carry him back to the bench from the end zone for oxygen and he will be ready to go for the next one!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If we don’t get too far behind and can run the ball controlling the clock it will be Utah out of breath, not the Ducks.

go 🦆🦆🦆s

• Thumbs Up 1