Annie

I'm Wondering--Who Was the Last Oregon Head Football Coach Before Taggart to Leave for Another College Head Coaching Job?

Just curious.

I can't think of any. 

On 12/8/2021 at 8:50 AM, Annie said:

Just curious.

Pre-Casnova, for sure...

• Thumbs Up 1

Rich Brooks

On 12/8/2021 at 9:01 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Rich Brooks

He left for the pros, not college.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bellotti spoke to other programs, but always came back. 

Many assistants have, and Oregon has been a stepping stone program for OC's that is for sure. 

Another interesting component is the buyout. I wonder if even more will be put into contracts to keep this kind of thing from happening? It will also be interesting to see if Miami ever pays? Is the buyout enforceable? It definitely wasn't done before the next contract. In this day and age it could be years before we see that money, if ever.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/8/2021 at 9:17 AM, Haywarduck said:

Bellotti spoke to other programs, but always came back. 

Many assistants have, and Oregon has been a stepping stone program for OC's that is for sure. 

Another interesting component is the buyout. I wonder if even more will be put into contracts to keep this kind of thing from happening? It will also be interesting to see if Miami ever pays? Is the buyout enforceable? It definitely wasn't done before the next contract. In this day and age it could be years before we see that money, if ever.

Why would you want to keep this from happening? Why keep someone who doesn't want to be here?

College football is big business. Everyone has been saying that on this site since NIL. Why wouldn't coaches move on for better perceived opportunities? You can't blame them.

We all knew MC wasn't here forever.

Some are happy, some are not. One thing for sure, top 10 recruiting classes are a thing of the past.

Don Read.  And by left Oregon, I mean he was fired.

Edited by Desert Duck

OT: But Jeff Tedford has signed on as the new HC at Fresno; Tedford redeux.

On 12/8/2021 at 1:11 PM, DanLduck said:

Why would you want to keep this from happening? Why keep someone who doesn't want to be here?

College football is big business. Everyone has been saying that on this site since NIL. Why wouldn't coaches move on for better perceived opportunities? You can't blame them.

Some are happy, some are not. One thing for sure, top 10 recruiting classes are a thing of the past.

This right here, why would I want to prevent someone from making more money, being happy where they are at, asking their families to sacrifice so much while they barely see their loved ones.  Husbands, wives away from their significant others for long periods of time.  Trying to Coach, Parent the family through ups and downs, kids trying to fit in, at another school, town.  The highs and lows felt when things are good and bad, games won or lost.  I get it.  And you are right, I can't blame them.

Top ten classes, are Do Able.  Mario Proved that, at what cost?  Maybe, the move to Miami, was to put Him closer to home and recruiting, some adjustments so the sacrifices were not so harsh on his family.  He is learning.  Good for him.

But ANYONE who coaches here, best never use that as an excuse.  Frosty!  I would like to believe, it can be done, without our coaches, never seeing their families, not being able to coach those that they recruited.  That some balance of talent and coaching, Chip and Helf, has been achieved.  That Oregon can put it all together, here, in the near future, to bring a National Championship to Oregon and show, IT CAN BE DONE! 

Thank you for the soap boxes.

On 12/8/2021 at 1:31 PM, Desert Duck said:

Don Read.  And by left Oregon, I mean he was fired.

Ah, so he didn't quit in order to go to another HC job, but he did get another HC job, is that right?

On 12/8/2021 at 1:11 PM, DanLduck said:

And some said we could never recruit to Oregon. One thing is for sure never, say never!

One thing about moving on and why wouldn't somebody move on, is one should be aware on the impact to others, most importantly family. In hindsight Mario thought it best for his family to be back to Miami. He might just have had that in the back of him mind the whole time.

I remember back in 2007 somebody came to my gate and offered me silly money for my house. I thought about it and decided it wasn't the best thing for my family. I was pretty sure I could probably buy it back, the guy was obviously stretching his finances, but I didn't want to disrupt my kids. 

I know my house isn't my job, but we all make decision based on what is best. The idea of best can't be the only factor.  Some may decide Eugene is the best thing for them and their family. It is where they can meet and exceed their goals. They don't have to keep chasing the next great thing. That might even be Lane, when and if he moves to Lane.

On 12/8/2021 at 2:11 PM, Haywarduck said:

... They don't have to keep chasing the next great thing. That might even be Lane, when and if he moves to Lane.

Unless and until Saban leaves Alabama. Saban is 70, which is not that old, but time, like toilet paper, seems to run out faster when you get near the end of the roll, and even Saban might be ready to rest on his laurels at some point.

Edited by Annie
typo
  • Haha 2

On 12/8/2021 at 1:49 PM, EzDucksIt said:

This right here, why would I want to prevent someone from making more money, being happy where they are at, asking their families to sacrifice so much while they barely see their loved ones.  Husbands, wives away from their significant others for long periods of time.  Trying to Coach, Parent the family through ups and downs, kids trying to fit in, at another school, town.  The highs and lows felt when things are good and bad, games won or lost.  I get it.  And you are right, I can't blame them.

Top ten classes, are Do Able.  Mario Proved that, at what cost?  Maybe, the move to Miami, was to put Him closer to home and recruiting, some adjustments so the sacrifices were not so harsh on his family.  He is learning.  Good for him.

But ANYONE who coaches here, best never use that as an excuse.  Frosty!  I would like to believe, it can be done, without our coaches, never seeing their families, not being able to coach those that they recruited.  That some balance of talent and coaching, Chip and Helf, has been achieved.  That Oregon can put it all together, here, in the near future, to bring a National Championship to Oregon and show, IT CAN BE DONE! 

Thank you for the soap boxes.

Sure, it can be done, MC proved that. But no one else has.

So, can you repeat lightning in a bottle?

On 12/8/2021 at 2:50 PM, Annie said:

Ah, so he didn't quit in order to go to another HC job, but he did get another HC job, is 

Yes. Fired from Oregon, hired by Montana.

• Thumbs Up 1