1Funduck

It's been a tough week--But this was a Good Thing!

I couldn't believe we were so embarrassed in Rice-Eccles Stadium. The next day I was left wondering if that was a perfect storm. Great teams don't submit to perfect storms. Neither do Great Coaches. Lose? Yes. But, get beat down? Nope. Then it happened again and in worse fashion.

Now, with MC gone I am left pondering the observations and comments to friends throughout the year. Wonderful defense but soft in the middle. Built to compress in the red zone. Vanilla Offense..... just Vanilla. Built to smash mouth.

Problem was that we have an average QB at best. He needed 3-5 seconds to run the offense. Utah did it in 2-3 seconds. The end result was stop the run by loading the box. I couldn't believe how many receivers were open with runways to the end zone that AB overthrew. Aaaaaallll year looooooong. 

I'm not a hater. It's just an observation and I believe a reasonable conclusion. AB didn't have it between the ears to be 'The Guy'. A baller, a Winner, someone who wills his team to victory. After 6 years, one would think any QB running a Big 5 program would have it locked down, even a transfer. After all, he had last year to learn it. And that brings me to the other half of my argument.

MC, we will forever be grateful for what he has done. That's why it hurts so much and so many feel so betrayed. Oregon has N-E-V-E-R had this many 'Dudes' on the roster at the same time, NEVER! That's because MC recruits like a mad man. He is Top Tier in recruiting period. Who of us didn't feel like a Natty was on the table in the next year or so? Thank You MC for that.

But, something was amiss this 2021 season. We all felt it. The offense was mediocre and the defense felt like it had slipped a bit. Sure, teams figured out the need to play away from KT. But, that should have made the defensive scheme easier. If an offense needs to double team a player, that leaves an offense more vulnerable on a consistent basis.

We have NFL players on defense, so, that wasn't the problem. And our Offense line all of a sudden became Swiss Cheese? Hmmm. This brings me to a positive point.

Thank you MC for your service and I am truly sincere with that complement. But, while top tier recruiting is Mandatory, there are an enormous amount of schools that win with average tiered players. Oregon did it with 0-3 star players. Patrick Chung?

Chip Kelly did it with that formula as well and one could argue that Oregon went to the Natty twice under Chips Players? Nope, it was under Chips scheme. Chip was not a Top Tier recruiter. But, Chipper was a Top offensive schemer. His offense exploded the opposing teams game plan and those teams had to try and play catch up. By half time, it was too late. 49-10 seems to ring a bell.

Now, did you ever feel MC had control of an offense, even remotely, capable of putting an opposing team on their heels? Me neither. Not even from day 1. And that was fine. We were winning, 'ScoreBoard', 'nuff said. I'm bringing this up because, while players are essential, Coaching is critical. We need an incredible recruiter, but an offensive minded HC.

The next level for Oregon demands it. Yes, I believe that after taking my Green and Yellow glasses off, Oregon was NOT at the next level, at least not yet. I believe all the pieces are here. Facilities, they are World Class. Players, loaded with top ten talent in their position up and down the roster. Boosters willing to open their wallet for a 'Natty' Coach. Now we need the right Coach. 

Yes, this hurt. But the door that has opened could very well be the door to the PlayOffs. 

Thank you Mario Cristobol and to your family for making Oregon relevant again! Now let's go get a Coach that will bring home the Shiny Hardware!

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mario showed you could bring top flight talent to Eugene in large numbers and he left the roster stacked.....Chip on the other hand can coach. Love him or hate him he can coach.

Based on what we're hearing at this point I'd gladly take Chip, encourage him to get some recruiting type coordinators and let's see where we're at in three years.....cause if the incoming coach plays three yards and a cloud of dust grandpa's style offense Autzen will be a wasteland....and he'll lose.

Today's kids want wide open make the defense defend the entire field style offense.....they want to throw it all over the field and coaches that do that will attract those type of players.......and it's fun to watch.

• Thumbs Up 2

"Today's kids want wide open make the defense defend the entire field style offense."

That's the NFL as well.

On 12/9/2021 at 8:36 AM, RkyMtnGuy said:

Mario showed you could bring top flight talent to Eugene in large numbers and he left the roster stacked.....Chip on the other hand can coach. Love him or hate him he can coach.

Based on what we're hearing at this point I'd gladly take Chip, encourage him to get some recruiting type coordinators and let's see where we're at in three years.....cause if the incoming coach plays three yards and a cloud of dust grandpa's style offense Autzen will be a wasteland....and he'll lose.

Today's kids want wide open make the defense defend the entire field style offense.....they want to throw it all over the field and coaches that do that will attract those type of players.......and it's fun to watch.

Why go for 5 yards when you can get 25 yards?

On 12/9/2021 at 11:20 AM, 1Funduck said:

I couldn't believe we were so embarrassed in Rice-Eccles Stadium. The next day I was left wondering if that was a perfect storm. Great teams don't submit to perfect storms. Neither do Great Coaches. Lose? Yes. But, get beat down? Nope. Then it happened again and in worse fashion.

Now, with MC gone I am left pondering the observations and comments to friends throughout the year. Wonderful defense but soft in the middle. Built to compress in the red zone. Vanilla Offense..... just Vanilla. Built to smash mouth.

Problem was that we have an average QB at best. He needed 3-5 seconds to run the offense. Utah did it in 2-3 seconds. The end result was stop the run by loading the box. I couldn't believe how many receivers were open with runways to the end zone that AB overthrew. Aaaaaallll year looooooong. 

I'm not a hater. It's just an observation and I believe a reasonable conclusion. AB didn't have it between the ears to be 'The Guy'. A baller, a Winner, someone who wills his team to victory. After 6 years, one would think any QB running a Big 5 program would have it locked down, even a transfer. After all, he had last year to learn it. And that brings me to the other half of my argument.

MC, we will forever be grateful for what he has done. That's why it hurts so much and so many feel so betrayed. Oregon has N-E-V-E-R had this many 'Dudes' on the roster at the same time, NEVER! That's because MC recruits like a mad man. He is Top Tier in recruiting period. Who of us didn't feel like a Natty was on the table in the next year or so? Thank You MC for that.

But, something was amiss this 2021 season. We all felt it. The offense was mediocre and the defense felt like it had slipped a bit. Sure, teams figured out the need to play away from KT. But, that should have made the defensive scheme easier. If an offense needs to double team a player, that leaves an offense more vulnerable on a consistent basis.

We have NFL players on defense, so, that wasn't the problem. And our Offense line all of a sudden became Swiss Cheese? Hmmm. This brings me to a positive point.

Thank you MC for your service and I am truly sincere with that complement. But, while top tier recruiting is Mandatory, there are an enormous amount of schools that win with average tiered players. Oregon did it with 0-3 star players. Patrick Chung?

Chip Kelly did it with that formula as well and one could argue that Oregon went to the Natty twice under Chips Players? Nope, it was under Chips scheme. Chip was not a Top Tier recruiter. But, Chipper was a Top offensive schemer. His offense exploded the opposing teams game plan and those teams had to try and play catch up. By half time, it was too late. 49-10 seems to ring a bell.

Now, did you ever feel MC had control of an offense, even remotely, capable of putting an opposing team on their heels? Me neither. Not even from day 1. And that was fine. We were winning, 'ScoreBoard', 'nuff said. I'm bringing this up because, while players are essential, Coaching is critical. We need an incredible recruiter, but an offensive minded HC.

The next level for Oregon demands it. Yes, I believe that after taking my Green and Yellow glasses off, Oregon was NOT at the next level, at least not yet. I believe all the pieces are here. Facilities, they are World Class. Players, loaded with top ten talent in their position up and down the roster. Boosters willing to open their wallet for a 'Natty' Coach. Now we need the right Coach. 

Yes, this hurt. But the door that has opened could very well be the door to the PlayOffs. 

Thank you Mario Cristobol and to your family for making Oregon relevant again! Now let's go get a Coach that will bring home the Shiny Hardware!

Great post. Brown was never a great college QB. He was average at BC and average at Oregon. Mario went 4-3 in 2020. Blown out twice this season with an inexplicable loss at Stanford. As Miami is about to learn,  Mario is a champ at recruiting and a chump as a head coach. Mario was never going to take Oregon to Final 4, never.

After the last 2 hires I hope Mullens is not the only one involved with this hire? 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/9/2021 at 8:36 AM, RkyMtnGuy said:

Today's kids want wide open make the defense stand around the field, exhausted, with their hands on their hips, style offense.....they want to throw it all over the field and coaches that do that will attract those type of players.......and it's fun to watch.

FIFY

Edited by woundedknees

If it's flashy and a big dollar contract then PK is involved. Phil wants it fast, fun and right now.......

PK will open the vault for the right hire. Mr. Right Now coaches

Kelly....... Kiffen..... ???...

If it's just an above average hire then RM made the call.  Mr Bring Home to Parents coaches

Sitaki...... Wilcox......?????.....

RM must be careful to not offend or alienate PK. Or he will be unemployed. 

Fun stuff. Honey where are the Tums?

Great post.

No bigger MC supporter than I am. I first saw him back in the 80s, playing for Columbus High in Miami. Great kid. Great man.

Elite recruiter. Elite recruiter of recruiters. A coach who is truly elite at any skill is rare. Ducks were lucky to have MC.

But ... you absolutely, positively CANNOT lose by 30 points - twice - to Utah, who does not have the elite recruits that Oregon has. Very, very bad indicator.

I hope it's Kiffen. Not perfect, but he's the one most likely to get UO into the playoff.

At least at Oregon, he will have good shoes for the walk home.