30Duck

Who is Morgan Malchow and why it's Great That he's at Oregon

Biggest Win? For a guy who will be picking names out of the portal? A way over the top article IMO. 

Author Neely is really playing some 'inside baseball' here. I guess without this young man the recruiting at Bama would be average at best?

Welcome aboard Morgan but how will we know if your efforts mean one more or one fewer, win?

Great article, as it takes many people to support such an auspicious plan. Each piece has to fit into a massive machine, and that machine has to become a microprocessor.

Gone are the days where the coach is only person making critical decisions. Does anyone really think Saban could have turned the Alabama offense into what it became without delegating the offense to Jim McElwain and getting rid of Applewhite after one year? Saban has continued to make shrewd hires and management decisions. 

So much of coaching is delegated, and then trusting the coach, assistant or just chief of staff. Each piece has to be trusted to know their job and do it well. The coach can't be expected to micromanage, nor does a program want that. You hire great staff, keep them accountable, and let them be part of a larger web.

Lanning will be judged by the play on the field and wins and losses. Those all begin at the decision level we see with the hiring of Malchow. Not many really want to understand this level, but it is incredibly important for Lanning to make the right hire or the circuits go haywire quick. 

Meanwhile Cristobal continues to kill it on the recruiting front, congrats!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/17/2021 at 8:52 AM, 30Duck said:

The youth movement continues. The hiring of highly talented youth at every level could put Oregon's at the top of the mountain for yeas to come. On paper Oregon os starting to look like the cream of the crop.  But... as we have seen with MC, on paper means nothing. 

• Like 1

The more I read about Morgan Malchow, the more I like him.  At every stop he's been a key cog in recruiting top 10 classes, this is good news.  Looking at a couple A&M sites, quite a few of their fans aren't happy with this development.

• Thumbs Up 3

Thanks for this article. Very interesting and a good development to see.

On 12/17/2021 at 9:53 AM, Haywarduck said:

Great article, as it takes many people to support such an auspicious plan. Each piece has to fit into a massive machine, and that machine has to become a microprocessor.

Gone are the days where the coach is only person making critical decisions. Does anyone really think Saban could have turned the Alabama offense into what it became without delegating the offense to Jim McElwain and getting rid of Applewhite after one year? Saban has continued to make shrewd hires and management decisions. 

So much of coaching is delegated, and then trusting the coach, assistant or just chief of staff. Each piece has to be trusted to know their job and do it well. The coach can't be expected to micromanage, nor does a program want that. You hire great staff, keep them accountable, and let them be part of a larger web.

Lanning will be judged by the play on the field and wins and losses. Those all begin at the decision level we see with the hiring of Malchow. Not many really want to understand this level, but it is incredibly important for Lanning to make the right hire or the circuits go haywire quick. 

Meanwhile Cristobal continues to kill it on the recruiting front, congrats!

Yeah Mario looks like some of his hires were bad like our latest DC that just left for TT. I hated his defenses because they didn't attack enough and Lanning said we will make it uncomfortable by attacking more. Same with his offenses and Dillingham is young and looks like he's just gonna get better. While at Auburn his offense put up 48 points on Saban's team. Mario to me wasn't able to get out of his own way and I highly doubt he'll do it any different in Miami. A leopard can't change his or her spots.

On 12/18/2021 at 9:00 AM, MaiTaiDuck said:

Yeah Mario looks like some of his hires were bad like our latest DC that just left for TT.

Now I'm wondering if the conservative bend don't break D was Mario's plan as well. I don't recall DeRuyter's Cal defenses being that soft. That team had way too many great players at all levels to be so bad on third downs all year against everybody.

• Like 1

This is like a home remodel (which I just happen to be doing right now) where we get to tear off the veneer and look behind the walls to see what was going on in the bones of Mario's program. He certainly talked a good game, but he and his coaches left a lot to be desired. 

Lanning has a little black book where he's been collecting names of talented people he's worked with throughout his career. It's clear from the hires he's made so far, and Malchow has me as excited as anyone he's hired, that he is a good judge of talent and a very sharp guy. He really has been visualizing what he knew would be his head coaching opportunity and the components he would need to make it a success.

As Mr. FishDuck and others on here have said, however the hiring process might have gone to eventually arrive at getting Lanning, getting him was a wonderful way to start the holiday season for passionate Duck fans everywhere. I think we are going to love our shiny new football program when the remodel is finished.

• Thumbs Up 2

Has he already started working

On 12/18/2021 at 9:16 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Now I'm wondering if the conservative bend don't break D was Mario's plan as well. I don't recall DeRuyter's Cal defenses being that soft. That team had way too many great players at all levels to be so bad on third downs all year against everybody.

I remember, when Mario ran to the side judge to call timeout in the Stanford game with less than 30 seconds on the game clock and it was just mass hysteria.  In that position, Oregon should KNOW what to do Defensively.  But it looked like Oregon was ill prepared and Mario calls a TO, giving Stanford a rest, to PLAN and get organized.

Then we had all those calls against us, CRAZY.  The pressure was on Stanford and we took our foot off their throat.  And gave them the game.  Glad he is gone, is all I can say.  If he was going to sit on a lead, He should have not played the Prevent, which he had his defense in, they were just attacking the middle and I think he understood they were just eating them up.