30Duck

USC Wire: USC's Coaching Staff Has an Edge Over Oregon's

USC and Washington are both preoccupied by Oregon, though at least USC usually has some perspective, such as the one offered by Matt Zemeck in Trojans Wire

New Look USC and Oregon football staffs have one thing in common

image.jpeg.de5349f9fd242344462e4e551a7c877a.jpeg

It will be fun to watch how the USC and Oregon teams grow the next 5 years.

Who will coach and motivate their teams the best remains to be seen.

The HC experience that Riley has is an advantage. Shouldn't be over looked in the big picture.

Riley has a few disadvantages to overcome,  though. 

Facilities.......enough said!

Also, the high priced talent at USC has seemed to quit on the season when their top goal(s) can't be reached.

They lose interest. Duck fans experienced viewing this after the Utah loss. No teams, with this much talent, should get their hat handed to them twice in 2 weeks. By the same team.

Whether it was coaches, players or both. Oregon looked disinterested.

This happens most years at USC.

Either way, these 2 programs need to dominate the PAC. Some years both should make the expanded CFP.

Then get ready to lead a new expanded PAC or move on to a super conference. 

It will come down to the culture created, end of story. My indicator will be penalty yardage. This is a simple stat to see discipline, and execution.

Oklahoma had average stats in this category, which would worry me about a leader of the sc program. Oregon was terrible with this stat, which was the canary in the coal mine about the Cristobal culture. Georgia is an elite program in the penalty world.

Can Lanning keep that type of discipline and execution is the single biggest question I have.

He is young, unproven as a head coach, I can agree with this. The question is can he create the culture where there is discipline and execution of the actionable plan he creates. If so the penalty stats will show the way to a winning program, a monumental winning program!

• Thumbs Up 4

Thanks for the post. Lanning and Dillingham signing Nix was a heads up move. I hope they continue to pay attention to the portal. In 2021 Michigan State and Baylor turned things around with finding guys in the portal. And Baylor hiring the BYU OC was also a great move.

• Thumbs Up 2

Agree that USC has the edge on experience. This edge will only last a few short years, depending on how well/fast the Oregon staff adjusts and matures.

Will this slight advantage make a difference on the field the next couple of years? Maybe the Ducks will only win by 3 instead of the 7 the last time they met..... or maybe USC will win by 3????

One thing that is unescapable is the media edge that USC has, not only over Oregon. But as far as hype goes, SC has no equal. Helton was dismal enough that the buzz was silenced. But ever since Riley was announced as coach at USC, the BUZZ is back!

I'm sure there are some fans of the Trojans like we all are of the Ducks. But the majority of the buzz is created by fans being drawn to the spotlight, and the SoCal kids who now will think it's cool to be a Trojan again. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Does anybody know if D Williams was retained as a coach by USC or is he a free agent and might want to come back to the Ducks?

Riley lost 2 games every year with the Sooners. That's pretty impressive.  Sooners are a blue blood and most above average coaches could probably match. Now he is at USC, another blue blood. We will see how good of a coach Riley actually is. If he can rebuild U$C into a powerhouse I will be impressed.  Recruiting will be easy, Trojans recruit themselves as does all blue blood schools.

I like the Idea of SC being dominant again. Especially when Oregon will match in the north. Get Fusky and the Utes consistently strong, specifically against ooc powerhouses, and the Pac will start getting respect again. Ducks held serve in the Shoe, now it's the Utes turn. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/21/2021 at 1:14 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Does anybody know if D Williams was retained as a coach by USC or is he a free agent and might want to come back to the Ducks?

The last I read was that USC plans to retain him in an off the field role.

If that is true and I am Lanning I would be pushing every day to obtain him. Obviously he is a great recruiter but I also think he is a great CB coach as well. Oregon should be able to pay him significantly more for being an on field coach and the tax burden will be less.