Charles Fischer

Whoa! Alamo Bowl Official Surprised Me..."All-In" on the Ducks..??

OK...this is not an official public press release, but just what I gathered from an official who was helping me get set up for photos from the Alamo Bowl.  When he asked about how many photos are needed...I explained that it depended upon if we won.

When Oregon wins the game...the writers at FishDuck can use photos from the game for years, while if we lose (like the Utah games) we will never use those photos again beyond the first week thereafter for reporting purposes.  Nobody wants to be reminded of a loss in a future article.

So I told him that the likelihood of needing a lot of pictures is probably low...because I think we may get our butts-kicked.  Then he responded with quite a surprise...

"I thought that too at first, but after being around the Oregon coaches and players this week--we all might be surprised.  They seem to be unified and bonded and 'in-it' for each other."

I told him that you could knock me over with a Duck feather and he responded with, "I understand, but the vibe I'm getting is that they are going all-out."  He went on to say the he personally is "all-in" with Oregon at this point!

Wowsa.  Did all this adversity create a "bunker mentality" that pulls them together into one purpose?  This could be more interesting than we thought! 

(We are not a reporting site, but this is a FishDuck scoop that was tasty, and if you had been on the call--you would have been stunned as I was.)  Whew!

Marcus Mariota 181, Texas,13,DC.jpg

This was a fun Alamo Bowl...

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

This is great news Charles, and maybe the vibe this guy picked up on is real. Oklahoma shouldn't be busting out with optimism, they're bright star of a coach told them, "Yeah, I'm outta here, have fun in the SEC!"

Are we fans susceptible to any optimism for the Ducks in the Alamo Bowl?

Yes!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 12/26/2021 at 3:23 PM, Duck1984 said:

Are we fans susceptible to any optimism for the Ducks in the Alamo Bowl?

Yes!

Always and in all ways fans are susceptible to any and all optimism.

We need some hope. The double gut punch from WT and MC the last 5 years has reduced the flaming torch of promise to a flickering candle for many.

We jump at any hope and promise.

However.......

In order for success to take place in any venture...... .. for hope to be realized! Then.........

Opportunity and preparedness must meet........

The opportunity for these players to put their stamp on this season comes in the form of win #11.

Are they prepared?

YES! But I hope we don't fall on the Stoops?

Stoops has a whippy vs Oregon and the onside kick.  Will the Ducks be ready to play for an interim coach about to head to Miami?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll take the optimism. Guys will be playing for pride and for each other. As it should be.

I believe the players like coach Mac also. Could be a good motivation. 

I really could use a good game to watch, and what's better than watching a win!

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry, but I got two doses of the Utah vaccine to fully protect me from getting any Alamo Bowl fever.

Edited by toketeeman
  • Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

I would say that under MC Oregon really didn't have the fully united factor that binds teams together through adversity. 

Actually with the 2020 season and covid and the opt outs I feel the culture took a very negative dive with the program. Not only losing a final season from some very strong veteran guys like Holland, Gram, Breeze and Penei Sewell... But in their opting out they sort of signaled an individual first vibe. 

I do think any signal like that was unintentional simply because the Pac-12 was so woeful in determining whether there would be a season or not ... 

But for the past two years I think a United team vibe has been missing from the Ducks. Maybe lack of a strong quarterback and consistency of leadership with all the freshman has contributed as well. 

But when the ducks really needed to rally together... Looking at the Utah games... They completely and utterly failed this year. 

Maybe Cristoabl leaving was the epidome of "me before we" and that ignited the players and remaining the coaches to bond together. 

Utah has certainly come together as a team this year with the deaths of two of their players. They had something to unite them an leaders who stepped forward to lead. 

Oregon has really been lacking in that department. Here's hoping for a surprise in the Alomo Bowl.

• Thumbs Up 3