geoquack

Rest In Peace, John Madden

You mean like, 'BAM!', he's gone? Man I love that guy and how he brought emotion to football. What a life, a Duck for those in the know, and a great man!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 3

My favorite memory of John Madden was when he was calling the Cowboys vs. Giants (I think) game and talking about Nate Newton’s nutrition habits. I’m assuming It was Giants because it was windy and they were on astroturf and The Meadowlands was always windy it seemed.

Anyway, Nate was laying on the ground for some reason with the camera on him and a Snickers candy bar wrapper goes blowing by on the turf. Madden jumps at the opportunity to mention that Nate was probably storing Snickers bars in his football pants, so he could have a snack during the game. Madden replayed the candy bar wrapper blowing by and circled it with his telestrator pen like he was diagramming a play in his usual fashion.  It was absolutely hilarious.

So, Nate gets home after the game and catches all kinds of grief from his family and friends about it. They all thought John Madden was serious and told him he needed to quit snacking during the game. Great memories!

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants
  • Haha 3
  • Like 1

Didn't he invent the Turduckin! I know he had the 8 legged turkeys.  What a great man. We were blessed.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

I like the statement, Madden was lucky he found football, and football was even luckier he found it!

That is a life well lived, you find what you were suppose to do and you make it better. In Maddens case, much better!

• Like 4

On 12/28/2021 at 5:31 PM, Log Haulin said:

Didn't he invent the Turduckin!

image.jpeg.d89894602e91fde75a767dd2cdf70d5e.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

Saw him at a local bar several years ago. Man had the biggest hands I’d ever seen.

The football world misses him that’s for sure.

• Like 2

Just think of his influence beyond the broadcasting and commentary. Most kids today only know Madden because of the video game that bares his name. 

It is pretty remarkable that he has continued to have such a large cultural impact even when he has stepped out of the spotlight.

To me, He was the Face of the Oakland Raiders along with Kenny Stabler.  When he left coaching and went into the Booth calling Monday Night Football, that was the ticket.  Oh and Chris Collinsworth, YOU sir, will never measure up to the man that John Madden was.  Just saying.

On 12/28/2021 at 4:41 PM, Haywarduck said:

You mean like, 'BAM!', he's gone? Man I love that guy and how he brought emotion to football. What a life, a Duck for those in the know, and a great man!

Yup, came to Oregon on scholarship in 1959, to play with his friend, John Robinson... Later transferred to Cal Poly.

John Madden and Keith Jackson were my two favorite football broadcasters, pro or college.

I can imagine the two bumping into each other at some ethereal sports venue in the sky:

"BAM!" followed by a mighty, "Whooooa, Nelly!", and a giant bear hug... What a thunder storm THAT would be!

Edited by woundedknees
  • Like 2

On 12/28/2021 at 8:54 PM, Just Ducky said:

Saw him at a local bar several years ago. Man had the biggest hands I’d ever seen.

The football world misses him that’s for sure.

I was fortunate enough to belong to the same golf club Madden belonged to in California. Played with him 4 or 5 times and he could not have been a more down to earth, better guy.

Like he said: "You never 'get' golf."

A truly impactful yet very humble man.

RIP.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1